Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 08:57 AM

32,674 posts, read 48,152,369 times

Advertisements

It was 3 degrees when I got up this morning. The ground is covered in snow, although it is not fresh snow. It is from an earlier snow storm.

Power was out a for four days a couple of weeks ago, due to a wind storm.

All those nice people writing and asking if the weather is sunny, be aware that we get a real winter here. We don't have the same gentle weather as you are accustomed to where you are coming from. Idaho is located next to the Canadian border and you can expect some of the same weather as you would get in Canada.

Cold weather has to be planned for if you intend to survive it, so be aware that it happens and be prepared for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 09:27 AM

332 posts, read 220,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It was 3 degrees when I got up this morning. The ground is covered in snow, although it is not fresh snow. It is from an earlier snow storm.

All those nice people writing and asking if the weather is sunny, be aware that we get a real winter here. We don't have the same gentle weather as you are accustomed to where you are coming from. Idaho is located next to the Canadian border and you can expect some of the same weather as you would get in Canada.

Cold weather has to be planned for if you intend to survive it, so be aware that it happens and be prepared for it.
my mom in law lives in nebraska , they are -6 there. Preparation is key. I love the cold.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:32 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times
Quote:

Yup.
As an addition:

It's better to plan for winter before leave for Idaho than after you arrive.

If you have never lived in a cold climate before, expect the worst and prepare for that.

If you have lived in a cold climate before, expect to find Idaho to be drier and colder than some other states, and you'll have much shorter winter days here than in other states.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:34 PM

5,590 posts, read 5,035,789 times
Quote:

Exactly what location is this?

Old 02-13-2021, 12:55 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,258,162 times
If someone is going to Move to Idaho and expects nothing but sunny days they need to do some simple research. It is a very pretty state, much prettier than many; not as pretty as all.

It is very windy in some areas of the state, but not the windiest.
It gets a lot of sunshine compared to many, but not the state with the most sunshine.
It gets cold here, but not the coldest state.
It gets snow here but not the snowiest state.

Granted I live near Pocatello, but the winters in southern MI were a lot worse than here. Temps about the same, but snow here is nothing compared to the northern suburbs of Detroit and would guess northern MI gets more average snow than even the mountain towns of Idaho. Last period I was in MI was 2005-2008, and during that period, in the winter I used my darn snowblower almost twice a week, last year I believe I used a snowblower twice, so far this year NEVER! My old neighbors in MI so far this year used their snowblowers many times.
Will say, here the electric supply has been extremely great; living in MI, it was terrible and very expensive.

And doing a search....
Highest snowfall average in Idaho 135.7 McCall https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...l-snowfall.php

Highest in MI 207.7, Houghton with three other cities with more average snow than McCall. https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...l-snowfall.php

Now, looking at these two websites, I have to ask an expert MIKE, does the info that Pocatello has higher average snowfalls than Idaho Falls appear correct? Having lived here for six years, I have to say that is not accurate. However, these averages go back to '81, so possibly prior to 2014 this area was a heck of a lot snowier than it is now?

Old 02-13-2021, 01:46 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,479,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
And doing a search....
Highest snowfall average in Idaho 135.7 McCall https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...l-snowfall.php

Highest in MI 207.7, Houghton with three other cities with more average snow than McCall. https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...l-snowfall.php
You missed a couple: Island Park ID averages 192 " per year. But north of Houghton, on the Copper peninsula, it beats Houghton. Met a young lady who grew up there... driving through 'open topped tunnels' was the winter norm!

So did you live on the west side of lower MI? And yeah, I have been in colder temps in an OH blizzard than the record coldest temp at Rathdrum.... and much lower average temps in No IN.

But the coldest was -40F at Stanley. That is about 4500' higher elevation than Rathdrum so a lot has to do with the elevation.

Last edited by nm9stheham; 02-13-2021 at 01:54 PM..

Old 02-13-2021, 07:09 PM

It's been colder in Island Park than -40º.

I saw the thermometer register -50º there on New Year's Day, 1984 at the Wild Rose Ranch.
10 years later it hit -50 again just over the border in W. Yellowstone MT.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:45 PM

No doubt..... -40F is the coldest for me, Mike.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
No doubt..... -40F is the coldest for me, Mike.
I couldn't take it for very long.
It was over New Year's, and friends had planned a big party up there. I already had a cold, but my wife really wanted to go, and I had a van that would fit everyone, so I went.

No Fun. I went to bed before midnight because I was sick, and was sicker the next day. Everyone but me went out and skied for a while, but I stayed in bed all New Years Day pretty much.

The van wouldn't start in the cold, so I had to go mess around with it until it fired up the next morning.

It was the coldest ride home I've ever done, and it was the most miserable holiday I've ever spent. Everyone was frozen to the bone before we got back to Idaho Falls, and it's only about a 70 minute drive.

I really don't notice the difference between 10º and 0º, but -10º in noticeable, and -50º is so cold it feels like burning when you breathe, and everything you touch is so cold it burns.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:23 AM

Yep, well any temp is bad when you are sick. We were up there for 5 uhdays, snowmobiling and snowshoeing, but had the right clothes and the wind often is tame there
But if you live where it gets that , better have backups to your backups and have weeks and months of wood handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho