Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 06:51 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,913,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hudge View Post
Stay away from Moscow, far away. Its a flipping horror story here and it's getting worse.

I wrote about it, much more in depth a while ago.

Gotta watch my BP.

Sorry.
Care to expand on this here, or maybe you might quote your earlier writings. I lived in Moscow many years ago and have visited recently. It has a quite vibrant little downtown. The only thing I find horrible about it is the Kibbie Dome.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:11 PM

10 posts, read 12,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Sensible gardening can be tried each place with sensible expectations. Moscow has some of the best soil in world, in places but maybe not every little place.

You dont really offer strong qualifiers, so can't rule out any of the 3 for you or make much selection. Moscow's drawback is not being as much right in thick mountains but outdoor access is reasonable. Missoula might be too expensive and / or liberal but some moderates and conservatives manage, especially away from heart of the city.

CDA leans older. Either you are ok with / like that relative to the others or you don't. CDA average age 36. 40% over 45. Missoula in town average age 32. 33% over 45. Outside of town older but cant say exactly without more work. Moscow, average age 25. 23% over 45.
Thank you for your very detailed response - leaning older is a mixed blessing for me; socially I'd like a dating pool roughly 29-39, but skewing older at least means a place is less hipstery and/or SJW-y. Does being close to Spokane provide social opportunities in CDA?

I didn't want to offer too many strong qualifiers - as someone potentially looking to resettle and get along I didn't want to post a list of demands to be met, but I will try to think of some dealbreakers to give you more to go on

Insane real estate costs are a limiting factor for me far more than commute time (not a factor in remote work) or snow (5-6 feet of snow is not that much above what I've encountered in Michigan and northern New England and I'm comfortable driving in snow when necessary). I would like someplace with neighborhoods where a modern-ish 2-3 BR house with 1500-2000 sq ft and a yard big enough for a small fruit/vegetable garden isn't more than $400,000 tops.

Someone else pointed out Internet infrastructure limitations and that's also a big factor - it seems like internet is most reliable/best bandwidth in CDA proper or Post Falls rather than outside of town at all, is this accurate? I would guess internet infrastructure is OK in Moscow and Missoula with the universities but wanted to hear from others about it.

Thanks to everyone for their continued helpful responses!

Old 01-03-2021, 08:14 AM

85 posts, read 138,383 times
pnwguy2

Here is what I wrote a couple of months ago. This all started about three years ago and became "in your face" a bit over a year ago.
Oh, and as far as vibrancy goes, there is a black ball list that the Filthy Animals (progs) have, to try to put out of business any establishment that does not fall into political lock step with there Filthy Ideology.

I realize that's there right but it don't make it right. To put good people out of work due to political ideology hearkens back to a bad time in our worlds history.

And no, I'm long retired and don't have a horse in any race.

"No offense to anyone for what I am about to write.

Moscow and Latah county would be and is my last choice of a place to live on the Palouse. This place (Moscow ID) is a boiling pot of feces (Marxist ideology) which is propelled by the idiot factory on the hill, otherwise known as Evergreen of the East or the University of Idaho. The City politics is liberal to the extreme with the college (professors) controlling the vote. They give the students bus rides to the polling centers. The out of state students then register on the spot with their new Moscow addresses and vote for whom ever the college tells them to. Then they are brought back to the college and they have a party.

We are one of the highest taxed city's in the state and one of the highest taxed county's too. But hey, we have 19 parks; oh yea, we are only 6 square miles, but we have 19 parks.

I have lived in Moscow for 7 years now and am only still here due to obligations. I will gladly leave this city government encouraged, mask shaming gulag full of sniveling cowards....No I will dance my way out of this BLM/ANTIFA supporting hell hole with it's communist art painted buildings....I just can't anymore, I can feel my Blood Pressure rising.

If you are a conservative with your antenna up to current politics, stay away. If you don't care or are liberal this is a splendid town. Be prepared to pay! Oh and don't forget your mask, the cops are on foot patrol in the city and will be writing warnings and citations.

There are other reasons not to live here. I just went with the most current.

I have had good experiences living here. It's not all bad, just mostly, and more so lately."

Last edited by the hudge; 01-03-2021 at 09:27 AM..

Old 01-03-2021, 08:48 AM

726 posts, read 329,990 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's pretty offensive, hudge. Is the name-calling really necessary?

Quote:
This place (Moscow ID) is a boiling pot of feces (Marxist ideology)....
Marxist? That's silly. You realize that....

Marxism is a social, political, and economic philosophy named after Karl Marx, which examines the effect of capitalism on labor, productivity, and economic development and argues for a worker revolution to overturn capitalism in favor of communism.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, holds that ideology in the U.S., not in the universities, not anywhere. I don't know where that claim comes from, but it's just wrong. Way wrong.

Old 01-03-2021, 09:21 AM

85 posts, read 138,383 times
Sorry it offended you. it's just words, you know like that shoe-fit thing.

You may be right on the Marxist thing too. Maybe FILTHY FASCIST works better.

If you are denying that there is Marxist/Communist push in our universities and in other areas (political); than revert to my first sentence.

Also, look up "confucius center" and how many universities they are in. Including UI. Oh and not just the Wiki def, dig deeper.

Once again. No offense to anyone, unless you are one of them Filthy Communist/Fascist. Not you personally Boon, but in general.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:01 AM

32,680 posts, read 48,185,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
........I think you can find something quite nice; modest, but not lavish, and well kept-up for $350k-$400k. That's the lower end of something nice that won't need a lot of work and updating..........

If you are buying in CDA and surrounding areas, look very carefully at what is in the blocks surrounding your potential purchase.

CDA growing season is quite short. It makes gardening a special challenge. Even in summer, the weather has patches where it is not warm enough for tomatoes and if tomatoes get chilled, it ruins the flavor. I have seen fruit on local trees, though, so perhaps carefully selected varieties can produce.

It's not only the $400,000 house that are fast to sell. You'll have to work hard and fast to get anything in the $700,000 to $800,000 range.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:02 AM

32,680 posts, read 48,185,877 times
I think Moscow looks very nice, if you enjoy pastoral looking farmland. It's a pretty area.

Old 01-03-2021, 02:45 PM

524 posts, read 153,678 times
Default @the hudge

Quote:
pnwguy2

Here is what I wrote a couple of months ago. This all started about three years ago and became "in your face" a bit over a year ago.
Oh, and as far as vibrancy goes, there is a black ball list that the Filthy Animals (progs) have, to try to put out of business any establishment that does not fall into political lock step with there Filthy Ideology.

I realize that's there right but it don't make it right. To put good people out of work due to political ideology hearkens back to a bad time in our worlds history.

And no, I'm long retired and don't have a horse in any race.

Moscow and Latah county would be and is my last choice of a place to live on the Palouse. This place (Moscow ID) is a boiling pot of feces (Marxist ideology) which is propelled by the idiot factory on the hill, otherwise known as Evergreen of the East or the University of Idaho. The City politics is liberal to the extreme with the college (professors) controlling the vote. They give the students bus rides to the polling centers. The out of state students then register on the spot with their new Moscow addresses and vote for whom ever the college tells them to. Then they are brought back to the college and they have a party.

We are one of the highest taxed city's in the state and one of the highest taxed county's too. But hey, we have 19 parks; oh yea, we are only 6 square miles, but we have 19 parks.

I have lived in Moscow for 7 years now and am only still here due to obligations. I will gladly leave this city government encouraged, mask shaming gulag full of sniveling cowards....No I will dance my way out of this BLM/ANTIFA supporting hell hole with it's communist art painted buildings....I just can't anymore, I can feel my Blood Pressure rising.

If you are a conservative with your antenna up to current politics, stay away. If you don't care or are liberal this is a splendid town. Be prepared to pay! Oh and don't forget your mask, the cops are on foot patrol in the city and will be writing warnings and citations.

There are other reasons not to live here. I just went with the most current.

I have had good experiences living here. It's not all bad, just mostly, and more so lately."
Thanks for having the courage to post this, hudge, and in a small town dominated by progs, it does take courage. And the only people you may be offending are the ones who feel their ears burning because they've been found out and called out. Certainly not me!

I know exactly what you mean when you mention "BLM/Antifa supporting" and "communist art painted buildings" - where I'm at you can't walk a block without seeing some form of bowing and scraping to these vile anti-American and anti-White ideologies. These people are the spiritual brothers and sisters and aiders and abettors of the people who have poured red paint on the statues of heroes and beheaded statues of saints. Their ilk have attacked peaceful Trump supporters across the land, and they will in Idaho, too, if given the chance.

Take care, hudge, and watch that BP!

Old 01-03-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone1791 View Post
Yeah, that's pretty offensive, hudge. Is the name-calling really necessary?

Marxist? That's silly. You realize that....

Marxism is a social, political, and economic philosophy named after Karl Marx, which examines the effect of capitalism on labor, productivity, and economic development and argues for a worker revolution to overturn capitalism in favor of communism.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, holds that ideology in the U.S., not in the universities, not anywhere. I don't know where that claim comes from, but it's just wrong. Way wrong.
You throw out a wiki definition of Marxism and call that a refutation? Everyone who was out in the streets destroying America this past summer is the child of Marx and his followers, whether they know it or not. The reason they don't call for a "worker revolution" any more is that they're not workers, only grifters living on university sinecures, daddy's money, and welfare. The goal is the same - the members of the ideological vanguard will take what they want from the rest of us, by any means necessary, as we have seen - all but you, that is. All while the Confucius society spies are opening the gates to our new masters.

They are Godless, pro-abortion, open borders traitorous scum, and if they are in charge of Moscow, Idaho, the hudge has it right.

Old 01-03-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Yes. The market is going nuts. Multiple offers, some above-asking-price. You have to act fast these days.

I think you can find something quite nice; modest, but not lavish, and well kept-up for $350k-$400k. That's the lower end of something nice that won't need a lot of work and updating. But as I said, you'll have to act quick when something becomes available. Maybe even purchase sight-unseen.

Can you go into some detail on just what is meant by "updating"? I love the old floor plans, old trim and woodwork, paneled doors, old hardware, plaster walls, the double hung old style windows, and two tap, single faucet sinks. As long as these things work, hang together reasonably well, etc., I probably wouldn't change them. Leaking roofs, rotting timbers, etc., are a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho