Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 01:25 AM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
But the snow in Winter fills lakes and streams. Family in Twin Falls and no problems. It is growing in population though.
i THINK Twin Falls, Idaho Falls, Chubbuck, Blackfoot and Pocatello might be more reasonably priced for a new /newer home with more space between neighbors. Chubbuck and Blackfoot are probably more rural in nature but at least close to amenities one may need to get to in nearby urban areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 02:41 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrunaway View Post
Water is definitely a big deal here in CO.
If it doesn't fall out of the sky, it doesn't exist.
CO gets 100% of it's water from precipitation.
Farmers on the east side of the state can make more money selling their water rights to Denver than they can on using it to grow crops.
Not to worry. It's going to get warmer and wetter.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:27 AM

138 posts, read 266,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Not to worry. It's going to get warmer and wetter.
Thats likely true for areas that are already warm and wet.. areas that are relatively dry, will most likely get warmer and drier... especially the southwest.

That said, I think Idaho will be in better shape than those to our south, as the jet stream begins to move more consistently to the north. Many climate model projections I've seen indicate this is probable to happen in the long term. It's one reason I left SW Colorado last year and moved to the West Central Idaho mtns.

Old 12-01-2020, 02:42 PM

783 posts, read 839,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowave View Post
Thats likely true for areas that are already warm and wet.. areas that are relatively dry, will most likely get warmer and drier... especially the southwest.

That said, I think Idaho will be in better shape than those to our south, as the jet stream begins to move more consistently to the north. Many climate model projections I've seen indicate this is probable to happen in the long term. It's one reason I left SW Colorado last year and moved to the West Central Idaho mtns.
New Meadows gets a brutal amount of snow doesn't it?

I drove through in the autumn and it was so beautiful, but aren't the winters on par with living up at Lake Tahoe?

Old 12-01-2020, 06:50 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
New Meadows gets a brutal amount of snow doesn't it?

I drove through in the autumn and it was so beautiful, but aren't the winters on par with living up at Lake Tahoe?
I had a girlfriend who live there a long time ago. I spent one New Year's with her and her family, and don't remember the winter as being any different than what it was in most of the state. I lived about 400 miles away, so I drove through a hunk of the state to get there.

Winter is winter. If you prepare for it, it's sure nothing a person cannot cope with. If you don't, then it can be miserable, I suppose... after a person has lived here for a while, most of the stuff that's needed to get through the season has been collected, so it's no big deal; the tires are in the garage, the coat and boots are in the closet, etc. etc.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:30 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,474,524 times
New Meadows does not get quite as much as Lake Tahoe, per the stats: 99" vs 142" on average. But 99" is 3-4 times as much as Boise, and far more than along Mike's probable route to get there. Sounds like a good place to have a snowmobile!

A lot of how difficult this can be involves how well the roads gets plowed and how close you are to one. The main highway there will stay well plowed as it is the emergency medical route out of the area. So if you have a place right off the main highway and have a snowblower or small plow, then you'll be able to keep moving pretty simply. And of course, the local businesses will be set up to keep parking lots plowed, and there wil be plenty of folks offering plowing services.

Now if you want really serious snow in ID, then look at Island Park, just outside of Yellowstone.... over 200" per year on average. As BJM sez, this is just what folks deal with in snow country all the time.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:03 AM

As said above, yes we get about 100" of snow a year. Last year, it was about 150". McCall, only 10 miles up the road (but 1000 ft higher) averages 134" (I think they got around 180" last year).

I have lived all over the mountain west over the last 20+ yrs, so it's not a big deal, you just have to be prepared (and also want to live in this type of environment).

Old 12-02-2020, 01:04 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
One of the things that isn't mentioned much about snow country is how much of the year is snowy.

Winter starts in Island Park a month or more before it begins in the Upper Snake River Valley, less than 60 miles away, but over 1,000 feet lower in elevation.
The snow will linger into early summer, when the farm fields in the valley below are sprouted and growing and the trees in Island Park haven't even leafed out yet.

9 months of winter is a very long time. Spring and Fall seem to last about a week each, and winter goes straight into summer, then blam! Back to winter again.

It sounds fun and adventurous, but snow and cold can wear on a person's nerves. One has to really love it to be happy living in it for a long time.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
One of the things that isn't mentioned much about snow country is how much of the year is snowy.

Winter starts in Island Park a month or more before it begins in the Upper Snake River Valley, less than 60 miles away, but over 1,000 feet lower in elevation.
The snow will linger into early summer, when the farm fields in the valley below are sprouted and growing and the trees in Island Park haven't even leafed out yet.

9 months of winter is a very long time. Spring and Fall seem to last about a week each, and winter goes straight into summer, then blam! Back to winter again.

It sounds fun and adventurous, but snow and cold can wear on a person's nerves. One has to really love it to be happy living in it for a long time.

Very true.. Many don't take that into consideration when moving to a snowy location.

The great thing about New Meadows, and especially where I live on a hill facing south above town... is that we lose the snow about 1-2 months before McCall, and it also takes a little longer to build up the snowpack in the fall, too.

I love a lot of snow, but I'm ready for it to go once we hit April. I was pretty surprised how long it took to melt in McCall last year.. (of course, it was also a cold, wet spring.. but still).

Last edited by snowave; 12-03-2020 at 10:27 AM..

Old 12-03-2020, 10:57 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,474,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

I'll take that over living in the upper midwest again, near Ft Wayne IN. Bleak and flat and alternating brown and white in winter (harvested/plowed fields and snow), then 1 month of green as the crops spring up in late May-early June, then the corn blocks your view for about 4 months, then it all gets chopped down in Oct-Nov and you are back to brown again. Low altitude cloudiness all winter long, as bad as Seattle. Booooring!

And the same short transition from winter to summer to winter.... just a few weeks of spring and fall. Not enough snow to snowmobile and no public lands anyway. Boooring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho