Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 11:25 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Burke still is an existing...neighborhood anyway. Eagle (outside of Murray) is smaller, though it was once one of the largest cities in the state. Vay is pretty tiny as is Edgemere (a suburb of Vay as I like to say). Now, I'm curious about just what an Algoma is.

https://spokanehistorical.org/items/show/574

I'd like to know about the history of Clagstone as well-there is a building that looks like an old railroad depot.

The other one that has me curious is Fubar Peak, outside of Kingston. Gotta be a story there.
Thanks for the link! That's fascinating. David Thompson is one of my heroes.

You drive through Algoma every day, don't you? We've been wondering about the meaning of the word, too.

https://www.northernontario.travel/a...-s-place-names

Quote:
'Algoma' is a name of many different places throughout North America. Henry Schoolcraft was said to be the man who invented the word which comes from 'Goma' an Algonquian suffix - gamaa for "lake" and the al prefix from the word Algonquian. The original text by Mr. Schoolcraft, which you can read here, leads the reader to believe that Mr. Schoolcraft invented the word based on Gitchegomee (the name for Lake Superior). Gitche signifying something of impressive magnitude and Gomee meaning a large body of water. Based on the suffix and prefix given, put together, the word would mean Sea of the Algonquians.

Other definitions of Algoma are: "snowshoe", "valley of flowers"; all originating from First Nation languages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2020, 01:31 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Thanks for the link! That's fascinating. David Thompson is one of my heroes.

You drive through Algoma every day, don't you? We've been wondering about the meaning of the word, too.

https://www.northernontario.travel/a...-s-place-names
Usually I go the other direction (off Dufort) but yes, do go through there on occasion. I'm not sure if Algoma is an "incorporated" community or not. Sort of a suburb of Sagle maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho