Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2020, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,459 times

Advertisements

Another CA resident here with a property in ID... My family spends about 30-40% of the year in ID and I have a CA DL. Thus, I'm a dual/part-time resident, where I file tax returns in both states and pay taxes in both states (I work virtually).

I'm wondering if I can get an Idaho ID card from an Idaho DMV while I keep my CA DL. Is this possible? Upon reading the limited information for part-time residents provided on the ID DMV website, it looks like I can. But during the course of my research, I've also stumbled across accounts where some folks tried to apply for an ID in State X while keeping their DL in State Y, but State X declined to issue an ID if the applicant has a DL from another state. I'm wondering if ID has such a policy or if anyone can share their experiences while attempting this.

Any insight is appreciate and thanks in advance.

Last edited by k145; 10-10-2020 at 03:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 07:38 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
It's a good question. It could be a possibility, because our driver's license doesn't need to be the ID card. Yet. Apparently the nation is moving away from licenses being the our identity cards.

The Idaho ID is both at once, and it's used mostly by frequent travelers at airports, those who have stopped driving and/or owning a car, and possibly, guys like you who don't live here full time.

The instructions I got when I renewed my driver's license in July were rather confusing as to the need of the Star ID, and seemed to apply mostly to easy identification in other states and for travelers, so I didn't feel the need to go with the option; there's more paperwork one has to bring to the DMV, and I'm not planning to go out of state for any long length of time.

I also wasn't sure if the ID card substitutes as a passport either. It could, if there's an international movement for it, but I don't know if there is. In other countries, passports often serve as a person's official ID, and I think they do here in the U.S. as well. But not as a driver's license, of course.

I think a phone call to your local DMV here would give you the best answer.
It should be listed in your county directory here in Idaho.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:09 PM

26 posts, read 25,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k145 View Post
Another CA resident here with a property in ID... My family spends about 30-40% of the year in ID and I have a CA DL. Thus, I'm a dual/part-time resident, where I file tax returns in both states and pay taxes in both states (I work virtually).

I'm wondering if I can get an Idaho ID card from an Idaho DMV while I keep my CA DL. Is this possible? Upon reading the limited information for part-time residents provided on the ID DMV website, it looks like I can. But during the course of my research, I've also stumbled across accounts where some folks tried to apply for an ID in State X while keeping their DL in State Y, but State X declined to issue an ID if the applicant has a DL from another state. I'm wondering if ID has such a policy or if anyone can share their experiences while attempting this.

Any insight is appreciate and thanks in advance.
Everything i have read and heard no you can't.

Old 10-11-2020, 04:42 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Contact the state of Idaho. The state issues the license, they are the ones you need to ask. Someone here could say yes and it would be incorrect; someone here could say no and it would be incorrect.

Old 10-11-2020, 08:20 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,522 times
A question to the OP: WHY?

Per Idaho Code 49-119(12) this idea looks to not be allowed: See the last phrase in the last sentence... "or part-time residence":

"Resident" means for purposes of vehicle registration, titling, a driver’s license or an identification card, a person whose domicile has been within Idaho continuously for a period of at least ninety (90) days, excluding a full-time student who is a resident of another state. A person, including a full-time student who has established a domicile in Idaho may declare residency earlier than ninety (90) days for vehicle registration, titling, driver’s license and identification card purposes. Establishment of residency shall include a spouse and dependent children who reside with that person in the domicile. A domicile shall not be a person’s workplace, vacation or part-time residence.

Not having ID's and driver's licenses in more than 1 state is standard across the USA.

Old 10-11-2020, 10:43 AM

726 posts, read 328,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k145 View Post
...I'm wondering if I can get an Idaho ID card from an Idaho DMV while I keep my CA DL. Is this possible?....
I'm not sure about the "Idaho ID card." I do know (since I just did this) that when you get an Idaho driver's license, they punch holes in your out-of-state license, which voids it.

Since I happened to have the documentation necessary, I went ahead and got the "Star card." This requires:

1. birth certificate (or current passport)
2. something showing your social security number (1099 form)
3. something showing residence (tax assessment or utility bill)
4. auto insurance
5. previous driver's license

Old 10-11-2020, 11:18 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It's a good question. It could be a possibility, because our driver's license doesn't need to be the ID card. Yet. Apparently the nation is moving away from licenses being the our identity cards.

The Idaho ID is both at once, and it's used mostly by frequent travelers at airports, those who have stopped driving and/or owning a car, and possibly, guys like you who don't live here full time.

The instructions I got when I renewed my driver's license in July were rather confusing as to the need of the Star ID, and seemed to apply mostly to easy identification in other states and for travelers, so I didn't feel the need to go with the option; there's more paperwork one has to bring to the DMV, and I'm not planning to go out of state for any long length of time.

I also wasn't sure if the ID card substitutes as a passport either. It could, if there's an international movement for it, but I don't know if there is. In other countries, passports often serve as a person's official ID, and I think they do here in the U.S. as well. But not as a driver's license, of course.

I think a phone call to your local DMV here would give you the best answer.
It should be listed in your county directory here in Idaho.
I wonder then if it's easy to transfer an out of state disability placard from out of state to Idaho?

Old 10-12-2020, 10:08 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,522 times
I suspect you just go through a new process, nowhereman. Perhaps the prior placard is a help of proof.

Old 10-12-2020, 03:27 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
I suspect you just go through a new process, nowhereman. Perhaps the prior placard is a help of proof.
Yes the prior paperwork and placard will do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho