Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 07:31 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Like Arco, Atomic City = small cities in central Idaho.
There's no way I would ever qualify Atomic City as being an actual city. The name implies it was, but it was never anything more that a small little group of buildings that were placed in close proximity to each other.

There was never a government or any regulation, and there wasn't even a post office there.

It's just a spot on a map, like Picabo, Moore, Butte City, Yellow Pine, and lots more places.

But Arco sure qualifies, as does Makay, Soda Springs, Grangeville, Glenn's Ferry, and lots of others all over the state. Many are unincorporated, but they all have a local government of some kind. They all seem to have a minimum size, too, and it isn't very large.

In population size, Salmon is larger than others, and smaller than a few. It's large enough to have a full city government and large enough to be the county seat of Lemhi County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 10:20 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,774,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngirlatheart View Post
Do you know what she did in Salmon? Did they open up a small sporting goods shop by chance? Just curious. Everyone in Salmon seems to know everyone and I remember meeting a gal/owner the one time we stopped in to the new (at the time) sporting goods store and we got to talking. This was in 2016. They ended up closing up a shop a year later and moving back to CA. Just wondering if by chance it was the same person. She had daughters that played ice hockey for the local team.
I couldn't say if it is the same person or not. The name of her shop in Palmdale, (the Antelope Valley), was "Raspy Rabbit". I was a year or a bit more after her and went to a different part of Idaho. I don't know what her plans in Salmon were or if she went back to CA. If she did, she certainly did not open a new gun store.

p.s. Her new shop is called "Salmon River Armory" located at 1244 Minnie Street. Kelly and Dennis. Seems to still be in business, but can't say if Kelly still runs it. They open at 10:00 tomorrow.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-02-2020, 12:28 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,890,692 times
Salmon’s population peaked 40 years ago in 1980. Perhaps newcomers will bring it back to that level at some point. I really like the town. Nice downtown strip, good local businesses, great small town feel. Downside is it is very isolated. The nearest larger town (Idaho Falls) is 160 miles away. Also cold climate, though dry.

Old 10-02-2020, 08:59 AM

279 posts, read 486,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I couldn't say if it is the same person or not. The name of her shop in Palmdale, (the Antelope Valley), was "Raspy Rabbit". I was a year or a bit more after her and went to a different part of Idaho. I don't know what her plans in Salmon were or if she went back to CA. If she did, she certainly did not open a new gun store.

p.s. Her new shop is called "Salmon River Armory" located at 1244 Minnie Street. Kelly and Dennis. Seems to still be in business, but can't say if Kelly still runs it. They open at 10:00 tomorrow.
Okay, not the same person I'm thinking of!

Old 10-02-2020, 01:58 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Salmon’s population peaked 40 years ago in 1980. Perhaps newcomers will bring it back to that level at some point. I really like the town. Nice downtown strip, good local businesses, great small town feel. Downside is it is very isolated. The nearest larger town (Idaho Falls) is 160 miles away. Also cold climate, though dry.
Because Salmon lies in the bottom of a hole surrounded by mountains that are all much colder, I don't think it's particularly cold for the region. It's often warmer there that in Idaho Falls in any season, but very rarely colder.

So 'cold' is true enough, but it's relative to me. I don't think anywhere but Boise is warm here.

Other than being stagnant, I think Salmon is a pretty good town. I know some folks there and they're all nice people. It's very scenic for sure, and still has an authentic Old West vibe to the place.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:18 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,890,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Because Salmon lies in the bottom of a hole surrounded by mountains that are all much colder, I don't think it's particularly cold for the region. It's often warmer there that in Idaho Falls in any season, but very rarely colder.

So 'cold' is true enough, but it's relative to me. I don't think anywhere but Boise is warm here.

Other than being stagnant, I think Salmon is a pretty good town. I know some folks there and they're all nice people. It's very scenic for sure, and still has an authentic Old West vibe to the place.
We agree Salmon is a nice small town.

As for winter temps, here are the January average numbers...

Salmon

Hi 28
Lo 9

Idaho Falls

Hi 30
Lo 13

So, yep, pretty close at the end of the day.

I lived in IF for several years, didn't really realize how cold it got, but the numbers don't lie.

Warmest January temps are in Lewiston. But also the hottest in the summer.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 10-02-2020 at 08:03 PM..

Old 10-03-2020, 03:11 PM

783 posts, read 841,132 times
I like Salmon for the mountains, quaint town and beautiful Salmon river.

Are there any lakes in that valley? Ponds? I cannot see much water other than the river on the satellite images....

Old 10-03-2020, 04:08 PM

894 posts, read 2,202,919 times
Maybe I'll to back to Alaska then. It doesn't sound like there is anywhere in the Lower 48 that they haven't flooded into inflating real estate prices.

Old 10-03-2020, 04:32 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,802,096 times
Biggest lake you can drive to close to Salmon to my knowledge is Williams Lake (north of Ellis). A nice one. Other nice lakes are a hike in like Ship Island Lake.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-03-2020 at 04:59 PM..

Old 10-03-2020, 04:38 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,802,096 times
Salmon is not a really jacked up hot spot imo, especially for coastal elites (too small, not fancy enough for most). Median housing price in Salmon is about $195k, 15% below national average (of about $230k). But there are cheaper but still nice / interesting / pretty low key spots. Dillon MT is 10% cheaper on average than Salmon at $175k. Lewistown MT is 25% cheaper than Dillon at $135k. Baker City OR is between Dillon and Lewistown at $155k. Greybull WY, 15% below Lewistown at $115k.

What money buys each place? Check the real estate sites.

Lewistown is a big small town. Seems nice, if you are ok with pretty snowy winter. Dillon, smaller than Lewistown, bigger than Salmon. Snowfall also in between. Greybull very dry summer and winter but several rivers coming out of the mountains. Just under 2000 people but growing recently, erasing a couple of decades of shift downwards. Baker City biggest of all these but still only 10,000 in city. Modest snowfall.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-03-2020 at 06:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho