Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 05:37 PM

783 posts, read 842,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Going off-topic for a moment. Last winter was terrible for cross country skiing. All winter, the snow 'came and went' and never got thick enough to groom the usual trails. There might have been some up at Schweitzer or Lookout Pass, (local mountain ski resorts), but not at Farragut, (state park down here in the lowlands with a groomed XC system). It was a disappointing season. The winter before, was able t get out several times.
If you an outdoor enthusiast that hikes and bikes every day...what do you do in the winter if the snow cover stays around for long periods? Besides try and slosh through it...are there winter activities that people participate in the are exclusive to Idaho, Montana, Wyoming in the winter...where the snow is on the ground and deep for long periods and not really easy to hike or bike in? Do people snow shoe? I have not been too happy with it when I've tried it...I do like cross country, but it has limitations as well in some conditions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 08:52 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,016,377 times
We enjoy snowshoeing, and do that regularly when there is enough snow. I liken it to hiking in the snow. A little more work than hiking, but not that much more. Not too much specialized gear is required, and unlike XC skiing it can easily be enjoyed anywhere.

We have done some XC skiing in the past, but I've never really enjoyed it when I've been away from groomed trails. It's fun on groomed trails, but I like the convenience of walking out the door, strapping on my snowshoes, and heading out into the forest. We are lucky to live next door to 600 acres of BLM (the original BLM) land.

We are also downhill skiers, which is probably what we spend the most time doing during winter.

Dave

Old 09-26-2020, 04:40 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,814,567 times
Our horses have a far harder time walking than our dogs. No shoes in winter lest we get stilts.

As for our dogs, I can't get my Chow to come back in the house when I let him out. He loves the snow.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:35 PM

783 posts, read 842,826 times
Yeah, I remember when I had horses that I pulled their shoes in the snowy months...it can be a balancing act because it is super rocky where I live and if the snow melts barefoot was a problem.

I still marvel at the wild horses here in Northern Nevada...they run up and down rock cliffs, gallop through sharp lava rock (rock not gravel...like 1-3 foot jumbled chunks) and eat cheatgrass...what the heck? A domesticated horse would get colic and break their leg doing those things...

Old 09-27-2020, 01:17 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,400,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
We enjoy snowshoeing, and do that regularly when there is enough snow. I liken it to hiking in the snow. A little more work than hiking, but not that much more. Not too much specialized gear is required, and unlike XC skiing it can easily be enjoyed anywhere.

We have done some XC skiing in the past, but I've never really enjoyed it when I've been away from groomed trails. It's fun on groomed trails, but I like the convenience of walking out the door, strapping on my snowshoes, and heading out into the forest. We are lucky to live next door to 600 acres of BLM (the original BLM) land.

We are also downhill skiers, which is probably what we spend the most time doing during winter.

Dave
Hi, Dave...
The fat tire bikes are a big thing here for winter biking. Their tires are really wide and have low-inflation, which allows for a lot of traction on snow...
I have a neighbor who owns one and uses it all winter as a cross-town commuter to his day job.

I don't know very much about them, but from what he's said, they are specialized extensively for winter use; it's a lot more than just the wheels and tires. I've seen quite a few ring ridden here, after Idaho Falls began converting some older 4-lane streets into 3 lanes and a bike lane as a part of slowing down traffic speed in our residential streets that are arterials.

Oncebieriding. became safer, more folks began riding them instead of driving a car to work, but it was mostly done for the kids' safety.

Old 09-27-2020, 09:44 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,016,377 times
You do see some fat tire bikes up this way as well. I think there are some who use them to get around town during winter. I haven't seen them out on the trails, but maybe i'm just not looking in the right places.

Dave

Last edited by Cnynrat; 09-27-2020 at 11:00 AM..

Old 09-27-2020, 10:27 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,781,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
You do see some fat tire bikes to this way as well. I think there are some who use them to get around town during winter. I haven't seen them out on the trails, but maybe i'm just not looking in the right places.
I take my fat bike to Farragut. Most of the southern half of the park is closed however, (in winter).

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-27-2020, 02:33 PM

2,106 posts, read 1,936,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Dogs, even those with heavily furred paws like Malamutes can get frostbite in the paws; that's why you will see dog sled dogs wearing booties.
While living in NY, we walked Maggie, our deceased terrier/lab mix daily even in deep snow or over icy roads. The icy gravel along the roads bothered her the most. Our vet daughter recommended booties for her.

It took few walks to get Maggie comfortable with the booties. They protected her paws from ice, gravel, salt and also kept them warm.

I highly recommend getting booties for your dogs to wear in the winter. Do have few extra ones for active dogs like our beloved Maggie. She liked to get in and out of brambles and lost at least one bootie each winter season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: