Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2020, 03:12 PM

19 posts, read 14,423 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Been on the forums for quite awhile lurking quietly. About 3 1/2 years ago I had taken a trip to CDA/Sandpoint with intentions of moving. Had a few job offers within the 4 days of shaking hands and dropping off resumes. Unfortunately due to life circumstances I was unable to make the move.

My current situation I will be ready the end of February finally. 30 year old man with a 7 year old, soon to be engaged. Just waiting on my ring to be made! We'll have about 1 year of savings in the bank. This is our current plan, find a rental in either CDA or Sandpoint and sign a 6 month lease pay fully up front. Then start our job search, as my previous attempt to move taught me face to face interactions seem to be the way to go in the area.

Ideally we want to find a rental and employment in Sandpoint point. After the lease is up then buy in either Clark Fork or Priest river and commute into Sandpoint. Since my previous trip I have changed careers, I work on back up generators. So I'm a diesel mechanic and an electrician. Are any locals aware of what the job market is like for this particular trade? Working on the commercial side of back up power also means I have experience in pipe fitting, plumbing, hvac, petroleum storage tanks and so on. The soon to be fiance is in child care, she has 6 years of experience and is the head teacher. Is her position in high demand as well? I always have the automotive sector to fall back on as well.

Basically how does our plan sound?

How is the job market in the trades and child care/child development?

Any leads on a rental agency or private individual that will work with a full payment up front but no current employment?

I appreciate any and all feed back, if you'd like to send me a PM that works as well. Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2020, 01:11 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Just based on our own experience, building a retirement home in Clark Fork: You might find occasional work in Clark Fork to supplement whatever employment you might be able to get in Sandpoint. The closest licensed electrician that I know of is across the stateline in Heron, MT. It's actually really hard to get an electrician to come out to CF from Sandpoint. And just about everybody has backup generators that need servicing from time to time. But work is probably not steady enough to be full-time in CF.

As for child care, I have no idea! Sorry! But the CF high school has a really good reputation.

The commute to Sandpoint from CF is about 30 minutes in dry weather; I know less about Priest River, but of course I'm biased toward CF!

Old 09-13-2020, 08:29 AM

726 posts, read 328,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrrrresty View Post
....I work on back up generators....
That's probably a good field to be in up here, as far as I know. The company I know about is Energy Electric, Inc. in Sandpoint. ("We provide electrical services; services using a bucket truck; and generator sales, installation, and service.") I don't know if they're hiring, but they're worth a shot. Best of luck with the move -- and the engagement!

Old 09-13-2020, 10:46 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,138 times
We use Energy Electric to service our whole house generator ... great people!

Dave

Old 09-13-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Just based on our own experience, building a retirement home in Clark Fork: You might find occasional work in Clark Fork to supplement whatever employment you might be able to get in Sandpoint. The closest licensed electrician that I know of is across the stateline in Heron, MT. It's actually really hard to get an electrician to come out to CF from Sandpoint. And just about everybody has backup generators that need servicing from time to time. But work is probably not steady enough to be full-time in CF.

As an aside, I don't know if it is acceptable/ethical/ to do work outside of the area your company serves, or take on additional jobs. There might well be restrictions.

Old 09-13-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone1791 View Post
That's probably a good field to be in up here, as far as I know. The company I know about is Energy Electric, Inc. in Sandpoint. ("We provide electrical services; services using a bucket truck; and generator sales, installation, and service.") I don't know if they're hiring, but they're worth a shot. Best of luck with the move -- and the engagement!
I had actually looked at that company. Seems like they're a Generac authorized dealer. It looks like the address listed might be their residential. Thank you, I can't wait for this next chapter!

Old 09-13-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post

As for child care, I have no idea! Sorry! But the CF high school has a really good reputation.

The commute to Sandpoint from CF is about 30 minutes in dry weather; I know less about Priest River, but of course I'm biased toward CF!
Ohh I know your bias, I have read many of your posts and comments over they years! Very informative from your experiences. I did a little bit of messing around in Clark fork in May and definitely enjoyed the distance from everything. As far as your other post, yes its unethical. Also if you sign a contract when you get hired it can also be illegal. Moving with no job makes me a bit nervous but I'm sure I'll be able to find something sooner then later.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrrrresty View Post
Ohh I know your bias, I have read many of your posts and comments over they years! Very informative from your experiences. I did a little bit of messing around in Clark fork in May and definitely enjoyed the distance from everything. As far as your other post, yes its unethical. Also if you sign a contract when you get hired it can also be illegal. Moving with no job makes me a bit nervous but I'm sure I'll be able to find something sooner then later.

Yeah, it sounded wrong to me even as I was writing it, but I've never worked for that kind of a company! But CF really needs a good licensed electrician!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho