Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 10:52 PM

149 posts, read 175,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriciaGH View Post
After you sold your home....
Did you just leave and setup appointments to look after you got there?
Did you rent for a while?
Or did you buy sight unseen and how did that work?
I'm nervous that the homes I like online won't be available by the time we sell.
We have to sell 1st in order to get down payment for a loan.
Once it sells, we plan on headed there and I feel blind.
Not sure how to go about it so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
3 years ago we came to Boise to "just look" , but we ended up putting contingent offer on a house.. Then we quickly went home to WA and sold our house there... It did not take long, because the houses there go as hot cakes...I would recommend to come couple times and stay for awhile... Sometimes first impression can be deceiving... After living here almost for 3 years I learned new things about myself. I found out I do not enjoy remoteness of Boise area as well as dryness and too much sun.,, I miss nasty weather... I want more snow,,, less yellow and deserty....more green and fresh. I thought I will always like warm climate. But it is just not for me. Not sure what will be next... Thinking about East Coast now...
I do NOT regret moving from WA Seattle area... but I never thought it will be too much sun and too boring for me here... Not discouraging you... just encouraging you to give it more thought before you change everything in your life...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 06:00 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,257,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
aRE you using any any websites like Zillow in your search or have other suggestions?
I did a prelim for a few months looking at Realtor.com and on occasion Zillow. However, the best thing I did was contact a realtor, and one I found was very reliable, helpful and she did more than any online searching could do. She grew up here, she knew the area, and was great. Sad part is, hard to find someone like that.

Old 08-27-2020, 09:16 AM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I did a prelim for a few months looking at Realtor.com and on occasion Zillow. However, the best thing I did was contact a realtor, and one I found was very reliable, helpful and she did more than any online searching could do. She grew up here, she knew the area, and was great. Sad part is, hard to find someone like that.
That was my experience, too. I haven't wanted to weigh in, because we haven't made the move to our NID retirement home yet, but we had four years of visits, including two years of online (Realtor.com) and in-person research before clicking on one of the online properties and getting in touch with a realtor. Between our realtor's first efforts and our final decision a year was spent fine-tuning our wish list.

Then, after a year, I flew up and spent 5 frenetic days looking at 30 active properties our realtor had compiled, and we made an offer on one of them, in Clark Fork--interestingly the one I had clicked on a year earlier, and it did turn out to be the best. Since then we have spent as much time as possible there, building our retirement home. I'm not saying that we will not run into surprises once we make the move, but I don't think we could have done more research under the circumstances. We made some (probably crazy) choices such as opting for building the house before digging a well, because the well would have been prohibitively expensive for our budget, and we'll probably regret that choice, but hopefully we can deal with that in time. After all, we can haul water. We had the septic done last year, so little by little we're getting there!

Here's a piece of advice I've shared before on C-D: If you have a long list of properties to view in a short time, take pictures of the plat map/flyer before taking pictures of each place. That way you won't be confused about what was where when you review the flyers and pictures!

Old 08-27-2020, 10:18 AM

1,169 posts, read 753,254 times
Not specific to Idaho but when we relocated after my retirement we signed a 6 month lease with month to month option after that to move into, so we can take our time to decide what we want while actually experiencing and learning more about specific areas. My wife grew up here and we've been coming for family reasons ever since we've been married but we still wanted to ease into it instead of buying a house right away.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:36 PM

314 posts, read 488,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriciaGH View Post
After you sold your home....
Did you just leave and setup appointments to look after you got there?
Did you rent for a while?
Or did you buy sight unseen and how did that work?
I'm nervous that the homes I like online won't be available by the time we sell.
We have to sell 1st in order to get down payment for a loan.
Once it sells, we plan on headed there and I feel blind.
Not sure how to go about it so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
I transferred from my location while working the same position within my company. We planned to buy in North Central Idaho before we moved, but had planned to rent for several months first. We are closing on our house, just over the state line which is nice, but we will be sad to not be in Idaho. Local agents can really help. They know the market better than you do. You could probably set up a zoom or skype with a recommended agent and they can start helping you before you make the move. That said, a visit is really key. We were really wanting to buy a specific house which looked great on the listings, but upon visiting it saw it was a money pit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho