Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 11:45 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,781,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Thanks, Volo.
How about Plummer? It was another old gold camp. Is it still a town?

(I've never been in either of them.)
Yes, Plummer is booming, relatively speaking. Most people who ride the trail start in Plummer, (closest trail access to Spokane and CdA - some start in Harrison). Highway 95, (the only Idaho road that connects north and south Idaho), runs right through the middle of town. A few stores and gas stations. It's on the reservation so most residents are indigenous, but anyone can purchase property there, if they desire. It's also the gateway to Heyburn State Park, the oldest state park in Idaho and the entire Pacific Northwest. It's on the southern end of Lake Coeur d'Alene, (the state park, not Plummer).

Most of the town looks like it is really depressed. There are a few nice neighborhoods, but in general, it has a run down feeling. Right outside of town, agriculture is a big. Just over 1,000 people live there, and it has been holding steady or very slightly growing. Really no new housing construction. Just one-offs here and there. Outside the town itself are some really nice homes.

I briefly looked there when I was investigating my retirement home. But, too far from "the circus", (i.e., CdA, Hayden, Post Falls), and their amenities, (e.g., medical care, shopping, recreational opportunities).

I'm surprised you said it was an old gold camp. I see Plummer as the northern end of the Palouse, or pretty nearby. No real big mountains or streams. Just the lake a few miles to the east/northeast.

There's a neat little monument the "indians" put up in the park at the start of the trail. The pic is of me a couple years ago when we were riding the trail.
Attached Thumbnails
Lewiston Idaho is better than you think-img_0837.jpeg  

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 12:44 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,902,014 times
I really like Lewiston and its sister Clarkston just across the River in Washington. Spent some time there as a young man in the late 70’s. One of the warmest climates in the summer (tied with Boise and TriCities, WA.) All three get a number of 100 plus temps every summer. Winters tend to be mild compared to other locations nearby. Not exactly a booming area, but sustainable and offers most big city retail. If not, Spokane is just two hours away. If you like hot summers, river recreation, and generally a small town feel (but not too small) I would definitely check it out.

Old 08-31-2020, 05:37 PM

289 posts, read 312,487 times
We've been considering Lewiston if we want to downsize from the Treasure Valley (and we really do!) but still not sure about the vibe. All I know about it is from taking trips to Costco in Clarkston when I attended WSU in Pullman. We never really ventured into Lewiston much. I'm familiar with the feel of an old logging town (Western WA) and been wondering if it's basically the same but with a pulp mill. Hope that's not the case.

For those familiar (especially you pnwguy), how would you compare Lewiston's vibe and town scenery to other towns of this size or larger in Idaho?

Also, probably the only other hangup is the long distance on 2-lane highways in all directions. The distance itself is no problem. I've lived that already in MT. It's the fact you're relegated to only 2-lane roads and 195 is always nerve racking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho