Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 08:46 AM

726 posts, read 329,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
...Let me tell you, I really do not give a darn what anyone else does so long as it does not affect me or my dogs....
The total number of people in Idaho who have been infected amounts to about 2% of the Idaho population. So the odds of coming into close contact with an infected person in Idaho in the last several months is pretty low. But it's not zero. If those infected people were all wearing masks when they were out and about, the odds of becoming infected in Idaho drops well under 1%. IOW, you should give a darn what anyone else does because whether they're wearing a mask or not could affect you and your dogs.

You might conclude, then, that infected people should wear masks. Problem is, many people who are infected don't even realize it yet. As the CDC says, "COVID-19 may be spread by people who are not showing symptoms." You're probably not infected, f5fstop, but without a test, you really can't be certain. What's so weird about this mask question is that it's such a minor imposition. It's not like rationing during WWII, which did not meet the level of opposition that we have today about masks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2020, 05:57 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,253,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone1791 View Post
The total number of people in Idaho who have been infected amounts to about 2% of the Idaho population. So the odds of coming into close contact with an infected person in Idaho in the last several months is pretty low. But it's not zero. If those infected people were all wearing masks when they were out and about, the odds of becoming infected in Idaho drops well under 1%. IOW, you should give a darn what anyone else does because whether they're wearing a mask or not could affect you and your dogs.

You might conclude, then, that infected people should wear masks. Problem is, many people who are infected don't even realize it yet. As the CDC says, "COVID-19 may be spread by people who are not showing symptoms." You're probably not infected, f5fstop, but without a test, you really can't be certain. What's so weird about this mask question is that it's such a minor imposition. It's not like rationing during WWII, which did not meet the level of opposition that we have today about masks.
If you are going to quote someone, use the entire thought behind the quote. My thoughts were a lot more in-depth than the short little phrase you posted....

"Let me tell you, I really do not give a darn what anyone else does so long as it does not affect me or my dogs. If a person is really worried about the Wuhan virus, that is their right, as it is my right not to worry about it, but to take some general precautions (such as the hand sanitizer). The six foot physical distancing is quite alright with me. In fact I have been doing that for years as much as possible. If a person wants to jump in front of a moving vehicle it is their right and only reason I would care is if it was my vehicle. I learned a long time ago not to worry about what other people do so long as it does not affect me in any way."

Again, I do not care if someone wears a mask or wears their boxer shorts on their face. It is their decision; not mine. As it is not your decision whether I am to wear a mask or not.

Most likely I was more at risk of being attacked by a grizzly last week when I was camped near Togwotee Pass (WY) and hiking in the forests than catching the Wuhan virus.

The world is full of risks, every time I walk my dogs I am placing myself at risk considering this state (ID) has some of the worse drivers I have ever seen. If people are afraid of risk then there is a quick and guaranteed way to avoid any further risk.

But I have lost all interest in this subject and only answered your post cause it did not give my entire quote. So have a nice day, don't forget your mask...

Old 09-20-2020, 10:10 AM

726 posts, read 329,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
....The world is full of risks....
Best of luck on your continued health, and the health of your friends and neighbors.

Old 09-20-2020, 12:08 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
While the state's infection may be at 2%, the percentage is not uniform everywhere.

Madison county was a cold spot where there was no infection until a few weeks ago, but once the college and the schools reopened, the county went from zero to the 3rd highest rate in the state suddenly, in only a couple of weeks.

Now, all 3 of the most highly populated counties in. the upper SE corridor- Madison, Bonneville, and Jefferson- are state hotspots where the chances of infection are much higher than 2%.

Before the late July surge, all 3 were below 2%, with very little infection.

https://www.postregister.com/coronav...2c67918b6.html

Old 09-21-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone1791 View Post
Best of luck on your continued health, and the health of your friends and neighbors.
Well, thanks and the same to you. However, I don't believe in luck. Life is what you make of it. And at 72, I have never hid in the basement for any reason and not about to start now.

I will continue to do what I have done. If a store requires a mask, I will wear one or go to another store (hard to do for groceries around here); however if no mask is required, I will not wear a mask (more places around here do NOT require a mask). Heck, my personal DR. does not require a mask unless a person has symptoms, Hospital did for an echocardiogram, but the place that did a stress test did not (then again walking on a treadmill with a mask is probably not a great idea).

Old 09-21-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
While the state's infection may be at 2%, the percentage is not uniform everywhere.

Madison county was a cold spot where there was no infection until a few weeks ago, but once the college and the schools reopened, the county went from zero to the 3rd highest rate in the state suddenly, in only a couple of weeks.

Now, all 3 of the most highly populated counties in. the upper SE corridor- Madison, Bonneville, and Jefferson- are state hotspots where the chances of infection are much higher than 2%.

Before the late July surge, all 3 were below 2%, with very little infection.

https://www.postregister.com/coronav...2c67918b6.html
Percentages are very misleading especially by county. Bannock is about 1% while Bonneville is higher than 2% (last time I saw any stats) but Bonneville is just up the road from me and I have to pass through Bingham and I have no idea what the percentage is there. Power is just west of me by a few miles. And Madison borders on Bonneville and I can only guess what county is popular for Madison county residents.

So percentages by counties is a figure that is meaningless to me. I know if I need something I will drive to Idaho Falls to get it if available. Did it a few weeks ago for a sink at Home Depot.

Old 09-21-2020, 08:23 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,476,959 times
Ummmm.... you cannot tell the risk of infection from the total number of past confirmed infections. Not at all. (And confirmed infections is just a small fraction of actual infections.) Our risk of catching last winter's flu is nil because it is gone, regardless of how many billions of people had it in any particular area.....

The only way to even try to gauge risk is to look at the number of infections in the past week or 2 or 3. The ID health districts do that with the number of recent cases per 10,000 population. But even that is not adequate because you can only judge risk from something like that when the population is uniformly distributed in an area and there is uniform and random mixing of people throughout the area. That's not the way most of us 'circulate' in our daily lives.....

But it explains the outbreaks at colleges (which is happening all over BTW). Put large numbers in close proximity and moving around a lot all over campus, in an age group who have no real need to worry about this, and bingo.....

FWIW.... Here is the current ID risk map:

https://idaho.maps.arcgis.com/apps/P...a4e8b7a84f83d6

Old 09-21-2020, 11:34 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
The rates of infection aren't going to tell us very much about Madison county.

BYUI is the second largest university in the state and the largest private college. It draws students from all over the nation and the world. Enrollment is around 18,000 now. Less than 1/3 of them live in Rexburg year round.

I'm sure they haven't all arrived yet, and I'm pretty sure there are going to be quite a few of them who won't return for the fall semester but have plans to come back later in the school year.

Those kids (most are young married adults) could cause Madison county's infection rate to stay higher longer than any of our other college towns. Madison went from being the only county in SE Idaho that was a 'cold spot', with almost no infection straight to #1 in the region as soon as the students started arriving.

I tend to think infection rates can't say much about the future at all. Students aren't the only ones who a flocking to Idaho from other states, and when anyone comes here, they could be bringing the Carona with them.

If our schools are getting tested continually, I think they would become more accurate predictors.

Old 09-21-2020, 01:33 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,680,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The rates of infection aren't going to tell us very much about Madison county.

BYUI is the second largest university in the state and the largest private college. It draws students from all over the nation and the world. Enrollment is around 18,000 now. Less than 1/3 of them live in Rexburg year round.

I'm sure they haven't all arrived yet, and I'm pretty sure there are going to be quite a few of them who won't return for the fall semester but have plans to come back later in the school year.

Those kids (most are young married adults) could cause Madison county's infection rate to stay higher longer than any of our other college towns. Madison went from being the only county in SE Idaho that was a 'cold spot', with almost no infection straight to #1 in the region as soon as the students started arriving.

I tend to think infection rates can't say much about the future at all. Students aren't the only ones who a flocking to Idaho from other states, and when anyone comes here, they could be bringing the Carona with them.

If our schools are getting tested continually, I think they would become more accurate predictors.

Down here in San Diego County our rates have been going the right way for more than 6 weeks, and we're slowly reopening businesses, but all of a sudden the students at San Diego State University are changing the dynamics: Almost 900 students have tested positive for COVID since the semester started around Sept.1! And campus isn't even open to students except for a few lab classes, so this is all due to partying. Now the whole county may go back into lockdown just because of irresponsible young people in one neighborhood. Yes, I was young once, too , but I don't think I was that selfish. We've stopped shopping at any of the stores and fast food places students are most likely to visit locally. Sigh.

Old 09-21-2020, 05:04 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,776,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
...all of a sudden the students at San Diego State University are changing the dynamics: Almost 900 students have tested positive for COVID since the semester started around Sept.1! And campus isn't even open to students except for a few lab classes, so this is all due to partying...
When I attended San Diego State in the late 70s and early 80s, it had a reputation as a "party school". Looks like the students are still feeding the reputation. (I had a wife and an infant, so didn't get a chance to participate. I was there to get my degree, and then get a job.)

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho