Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 11:39 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,104,757 times

Advertisements

I had to check to see if wild Pacific Ocean salmon get as far as Idaho. They do.

Pacific salmon carry an organism that is deadly to dogs. If you are hiking by rivers, do not allow the dogs to pick up and eat raw salmon. The disease is called salmon fever. Death can be within hours. Possibly Idaho vets would not recognize it, so be aware of it, know the symptoms, and keep your dog away from raw salmon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 12:49 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,389,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post
You're not kidding about the quills. My brother had to take his dog to the vet at night to get them out of his dog. He couldn't pull them out. The porcupine just went on his way.
I found a pair of fencing pliers or lineman's pliers will work. They have a wire cutter that will cut the quill and any set of pliers will pull a quill once it's cut open.

It has to be done pretty quickly out in the field, though, as the body moisture tends to swell the quills on the outside surface. That makes the little barb-like scales on the quill to stick out and grip the surrounding flesh harder.

I've gotten quilled myself from pulling them out of a dog. There are always a few of the things drifting around loose in a dog's coat, and I caught a few on one leg once.

They're instant agony, and I only caught 2 or 3. The slightest movement can drive them in a little further.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:45 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,778,346 times
Come on guys! You're really starting to scare me. Do I dare even go outside my front door to get the mail from the box at the end of the driveway?

Took the pups to Farragut today. Only walked about three and a half miles, and they are really wimps. It's only in the very low 70s, and they are acting like it is near triple digits. Walked in an area close to the lake and with lots of foot traffic. That should have scared away Wile E. Coyote. They sure appreciated the water when we got back to the car.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-09-2020, 06:14 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,027,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post
There's a lot of ground squirrels holes in my yard near Spirit Lake this year. I've seen a lot of Columbian ground squirrels running across the roads around here recently. Weird thing is they seem to disappear every year during late summer. I better start carrying my suppressed 10/22 around.

Another thing about taking your pet for a walk is that later in the year during the fall and winter, trapping season starts. They can put traps for animals like wolves within 10 feet of a maintained trail so if you have a long leash, your pet might encounter a trap which wouldn't be good. Got to be careful up here.
10/22 loaded with "Stingers"

Old 07-10-2020, 08:41 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,254,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Come on guys! You're really starting to scare me. Do I dare even go outside my front door to get the mail from the box at the end of the driveway?

Took the pups to Farragut today. Only walked about three and a half miles, and they are really wimps. It's only in the very low 70s, and they are acting like it is near triple digits. Walked in an area close to the lake and with lots of foot traffic. That should have scared away Wile E. Coyote. They sure appreciated the water when we got back to the car.
Could be worse in other areas. When I lived in TN you have to be careful of your dog, or you, swimming due to water moccasins.

Just be careful, be sensible, keep your senses up and no problems....

I've never had any fear walking my dogs anywhere in ID, WY, MT, UT; however, I only walk them on a leash and yes, I am know to have some personal protection with me at all time.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:13 AM

7,384 posts, read 12,683,684 times
"A Million Ways to Die in the West"! I worry about moose and mice...moose for obvious reasons, and mice because of hantavirus. Every summer we come up to our place we look for mouse droppings, and if we find any (so far, so good), we'll go into masked cleanup overdrive. But on the whole I'd rather worry about moose and mice than COVID ....

Old 07-10-2020, 12:30 PM

Million ways to die anywhere.

Moose are cool, from an extreme distance. Amazing how many people will surround a big male while he is eating and not understand that if he gets spooked, he will drop his head and that large spread and charge ahead and whoever is in the path is going to wish they were in a different state.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:04 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,389,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Just be careful, be sensible, keep your senses up and no problems....

I've never had any fear walking my dogs anywhere in ID, WY, MT, UT; however, I only walk them on a leash and yes, I am know to have some personal protection with me at all time.
This is the best advice.

Take it seriously. I know f5, and I can attest to his care of his dogs. I've never met anyone who took better care of their dogs, including myself. Both are fine animals and show their care.

He's also spent considerable time out in our wilds in all weathers for years. Alone, with his dogs, in country that has every danger we've talked about and others that haven't been discussed here.

If a person is in a relaxed state of alertness and is sensible, and keeps his dogs under good, easy control, it's not hard to keep them healthy and safe from danger.

Just don't think our boonies are as safe and tame as a public park. You're on your own in them, so don't assume anything is tame and civilized, and everything will be OK if you have that attitude.

Learning how to prepare to go into the wilderness doesn't take long; every novice soon learns what is needed and left behind with every day trip into the wild places. Just a couple is all it takes in any season.

Our wilderness is full of pleasurable and unique experiences. They certainly out-weigh their dangers to me and always have.

And they are so close-by, it doesn't take much experience to know what to pack into a little day-ruck and be ready to go any time the impulse strikes.

It's amazing how just a few hours out there can lift the troubles from a person's mind. The quiet of the wild can really clear the junk out and refresh anyone thoughts.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
This is the best advice.

Just don't think our boonies are as safe and tame as a public park. You're on your own in them, so don't assume anything is tame and civilized, and everything will be OK if you have that attitude. ABSOLUTELY IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND!!!!! That's why they call it the WILD!

Learning how to prepare to go into the wilderness doesn't take long; every novice soon learns what is needed and left behind with every day trip into the wild places. Just a couple is all it takes in any season.

Our wilderness is full of pleasurable and unique experiences. They certainly out-weigh their dangers to me and always have.

And they are so close-by, it doesn't take much experience to know what to pack into a little day-ruck and be ready to go any time the impulse strikes.

It's amazing how just a few hours out there can lift the troubles from a person's mind. The quiet of the wild can really clear the junk out and refresh anyone thoughts.
Very good information here too. The wilderness can be scary to many newcomers, but read up on it, prepare and be careful and you can enjoy the great outdoors in safety.

I will also add that protection of the dogs is important, you need to protect yourself too. If you are injured, you have turned into a handicap to your dogs. Domestic dogs do not last long in the wild without their humans. So if you get really injured, they are on their own.

Yes, you can die while hiking on a trail (just happened to a close friend of mine a few weeks ago in Glacier NP; he was alone, his Malamute was home being taken care of by someone else) and it happens.

In fact, that is all that bothers me when I go camping or hiking with my dogs. I guess if I just drop dead, I can hope someone will find the dogs before they get lose, but if I fell and broke a leg or two (and yes that happens) what about the dogs. So I highly suggest if a person hikes with their dog(s) alone or even by themselves, get a personal locator beacon. Just a suggestion.

Old 07-15-2020, 01:19 PM

8,503 posts, read 8,811,218 times
Had a friend who went hiking in the Wind River range in WY long ago with dog. Let go off leash mostly or entirely. One afternoon, after the first few days, the dog went out of sight / sound and not immediately noticed. Didn't come back, couldn't be found.

Some dogs may be trustworthy. This one either went rogue that day or something happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho