Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 01:56 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,756,714 times

Advertisements

I know at one point, Nampa, had a proposed movie theme park. It ended up turning into the Idaho Center.

Roaring Springs Water Park seems to do a bunch of expansion. I heard at one point there is more land that could expand it more. Not sure if roller coaster rides could ever work there. Seems there would need to be more land.

I think it'd be nice if Nampa or Meridian had a large amusement park. Lucky northern Idahoans have Silverwood to go to for some fun in the Summer and Spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 08:55 AM

705 posts, read 504,922 times
Californicate Idaho some more please.

Old 11-24-2020, 11:54 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,221 times
An amusement/theme park has nothing to do with CA lol. North Idaho has an amusement park and it's Idaho...not CA.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:05 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
Californicate Idaho some more please.
Yup. That sounds like California, not Idaho, to me.
I think Idahoans would still prefer a wild river to a theme park any day of the week.

Old 11-25-2020, 01:07 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
........ North Idaho has an amusement park and it's Idaho...not CA.

Yes, and it is only open a couple of months out of the year. The rest of the year it is too cold to be whooshing around on an amusement ride outdoors and the water features are in danger of freezing.

Amusement parks function better where the weather is nice enough to be outdoors all year round.

Old 11-27-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yes, and it is only open a couple of months out of the year. The rest of the year it is too cold to be whooshing around on an amusement ride outdoors and the water features are in danger of freezing.

Amusement parks function better where the weather is nice enough to be outdoors all year round.
I believe the park is open weekends during the Spring and daily from June through Labor Day. More than a couple of months. During the summer, Silverwood is a major economic force in North Idaho.

It doesn't matter how "outdoorsy" a state is, amusement parks are popular and rafting down a whitewater river isn't something that all Idahoans can easily do.

Old 11-27-2020, 02:27 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
All I know is if theme parks were viable in Idaho, there would be many more of them.

It appears the state can only support one, much like Utah, which has one that's been going forever and is still popular.

Why did Boise never have one? The climate there would certainly support one, and Boise has been the state's largest population center since forever.

I don't know why it is, and was only making a couple of guesses. But there have to be some reasons why there have never been theme parks here, except for the old one up at the top of the state that's quite far away from where most of Idahoans live.

Old 11-27-2020, 02:35 PM

Silverwood has a lot of new rides, quite impressive for an isolated park in Idaho. I know of many families here in Boise who drive up there in the Summer or make the trek to Utah to go to Lagoon.

https://www.silverwoodthemepark.com/

To me the obvious regarding amusement parks in the state is the population base, but that is changing.

Meridian does have the Northwest's largest water park, Roaring Springs.
And Wahooz adjacent. https://www.wahoozfunzone.com/

Still not an amusement park but is the only place of it's kind in Southern Idaho.

I guess this all boils down to thinking an amusement park is so California when Idaho and Utah each have one.
Boise is getting an In & Out Burger joint, so I guess that makes us Cali too lol.

Old 11-28-2020, 05:36 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,245,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I agree, another theme park is about as needed in ID as another virus imported from China. However, not sure if it is weather than will kill it more than a population. Cedar Point in Northern Ohio and Kings Island in southern Ohio are both very large and succeed with winters just like here (in fact Cedar Point, being on Lake Erie gets lake effect snow in ridiculous amounts).

Problem is population. Just look at the top 100 amusement parks in the USA....
Top 100 Amusement Parks in the United States

And is it so CALI? What it is in my opinion is a problem for locals who live near one. Better to have them come here and enjoy the land and for those who like amusement parks, there sure are plenty to travel to in the USA and have fun. (Dollywood destroyed Pigeon Forge. Yes, it made it a rich area, many people prospered, many had to leave cause they could not afford to live there and that beautiful area of TN is virtually destroyed and the destruction is growing. And I won't even note the crime increase. I'm only a transplant here and can up and move to another state if needed, but I personally prefer ID remain basically like it is; free and beautiful.

And in this day-and-age of "let's all hide" and businesses going broke, can't see one being built in the very near future.

Last edited by f5fstop; 11-28-2020 at 05:46 AM..

Old 11-28-2020, 11:50 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,760,940 times
Finally made a visit to Silverwood last year when a friend invited me to accompany her. She had a yearly pass. I drive past the place pretty much every week when I take the pups to Farragut State Park, (one of my favorite places in Idaho).

There really isn't all that much to do there unless you spend time at the water park, (which a man in his very late 60's has little interest in doing), or ride roller coasters, (again, same reason). The magic show was pretty good, and the train ride was mildly interesting, but otherwise, little to do for us seniors.

They are currently installing another roller coaster and it is my understanding that the park purchases roller coasters from other theme parks who have removed them from their parks for various reasons, (expansion, new attractions, etc.).

Silverwood has a campground on the other side of Highway 95, (basically a freeway at that point, running between CdA and Sandpoint). Not sure how enjoyable the camping would be with the traffic noise.

It's a nice enough theme park that would be an enjoyable outing for teen and young adult thrill seekers. The only reason for middle-age adults and older to attend is if they are "babysitting" the kids and/or grandkids. Doubt I'll ever visit again in the future.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho