Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,857 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I hired a sprinkler company to blow out the sprinklers at my house, but it's my first time hiring this company and I'm not sure if it was actually done.

The company claimed they stopped by, and the main valve is off, but I want to confirm independently/on my own that the water is out of the sprinkler lines. How would I go about doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 08:49 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,017,906 times
I think the only way to do that is to run compressed air through the system and confirm there isn't water in the lines. Usually there is a hose bib in the valve box where you can use an adapter to connect a compressor. Open one valve at a time manually and pressurize that line. The pressure required can vary based on the layout of your system, but I'd start at about 40 PSI.

Basically, I think you have to run through the winterization process. It's not hard to do yourself if you have a compressor.

Good luck!

Dave

Last edited by Cnynrat; 10-10-2019 at 09:17 AM..

Old 10-10-2019, 05:45 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,479,281 times
Is the drain valve of any sort by the pressure source to the sprinkler system? If the pressure is off to the system, then you could just open the drain valve and see if much comes out. But it is so hard to say how to do this, because there are several types of designs. You could even have a dry pipe system where there is no water in the lines until ti activates for a fire.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:08 PM

I don't think sprinklers in cold weather country typically have drain valve. There is a valve for the water supply to the system, which I think is what is referred to above. These may be some differently depending on where the water source is located. In my system it's a valve buried 3' deep that drains when the valve is off, much like a yard hydrant. It will not drain the entire system though, only the short line from the valve to the anti- backflow device.

Dave

Old 10-10-2019, 06:34 PM

289 posts, read 225,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Is the drain valve of any sort by the pressure source to the sprinkler system? If the pressure is off to the system, then you could just open the drain valve and see if much comes out. But it is so hard to say how to do this, because there are several types of designs. You could even have a dry pipe system where there is no water in the lines until ti activates for a fire.
I think we are talking lawn irrigation sprinklers not fire suppression

Old 10-11-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokaneinvestor View Post
I think we are talking lawn irrigation sprinklers not fire suppression
LOL.... AHAH I bet you are right!

Old 10-11-2019, 12:41 PM

32,672 posts, read 48,152,369 times
Easy enough. If you really think you can't trust your guy and want to check:

Your irrigation water will be off. Go to your sprinkler control and turn the sprinklers on. The water is off, the lines are empty, you won't get any water through the sprinklers.

Be sure to turn the control box off again after you are finished.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:49 PM

If the water is shut off, and the lines are still full, I can imagine seeing the same result. No pressure means no water flow, unless it just drips out a bit or you pick a sprinkler at a low spot.

FWIW... I blow out lines every winter for a house..... it never gets all the water out of everywhere. The key seems to be to get mostly air in the system to allow for some expansion room when the residual water does freeze.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Easy enough. If you really think you can't trust your guy and want to check:

Your irrigation water will be off. Go to your sprinkler control and turn the sprinklers on. The water is off, the lines are empty, you won't get any water through the sprinklers.

Be sure to turn the control box off again after you are finished.
If the water supply is turned off any water that remains in the lines will not be pressurized. As a result, if you turn on a sprinkler you won't get water even if there is water in the lines.

The only way to tell whether there is still water in the lines is to blow them out with a compressor.

Dave

Old 10-11-2019, 03:37 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
If the water supply is turned off any water that remains in the lines will not be pressurized. As a result, if you turn on a sprinkler you won't get water even if there is water in the lines.

The only way to tell whether there is still water in the lines is to blow them out with a compressor.

Dave
The ancient sprinkler system in my yard self-drains after the water is shut off. I don't know how it's done, but I suspect it's a simple valve that opens once the water pressure is gone.

Maybe newer ones have the same feature?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho