Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 06:50 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times

Advertisements

Today, I drove up hwy 95 to hwy 2 and then across into Montana.

What a pretty drive that is. It made a very nice outing. Hwy 2 is well maintained, not outrageously winding, and, today at least, traffic was light. Except at Kootenai Falls. Holy smokes. The parking lot was jammed. I couldn't stop to see the falls going east and I couldn't stop coming home again. The parking lot was so jammed that it looked like many of the cars weren't going to get out at all, having cars to both side and also front and back.

Other view points were OK to stop and park for a look and I drove around a couple of nice Forest Service campgrounds, just to take a look.

Oddly, visitor centers and the forest service visitor center were closed. No tourists expected on a Saturday, I suppose.

I had to turn around far short of Glacier. That's not a day trip for me. But I did enjoy a day of beautiful scenery, lovely trees and mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 09:15 PM

7,382 posts, read 12,675,598 times
Beautiful drive! Too bad you couldn't park at the Falls. They are spectacular! Several scenes in the movie The River Wild were filmed there. Maybe in the fall the parking lot won't be so busy. Then I suggest that instead of driving back to 95 on 2 you turn south at Troy on 56 along the Bull River. That's another drive that will knock your socks off, driving in-between the east and west ranges of the Cabinets. Just south of Bull Lake (where scenes from the movie Always were filmed) there is the Ross Creek Cedar grove. Ancient, huge cedars growing with their roots in one of the Bull River tributaries. Some of the trees were lost in the fire a few years ago, but the fire department managed to save most of the grove. And at the end of 56 you get to Heron and Highway 200 which will take you west along the Clark Fork River and Lake Pend Oreille to Sandpoint. We love doing that loop, up 95 and east on 2, then south 56 to 200.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:47 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
It is one of my favorite drives! And 12 of course. CFF I need to take 56 next time.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:08 PM

7,382 posts, read 12,675,598 times
Here's another great loop with a new attraction: If you're coming down 56 to Heron, then instead of going 200 west into Clark Fork, take the road south to Heron across the bridge (don't look down if you have vertigo! But the old 1-lane bridge was scarier), turn left when you're across the tracks, but instead of going further into Heron, turn right on Clark Fork Road. It's a county maintained dirt road that will take you about 6 miles through the lovely Clark Fork Valley with farms and ranches, and majestic views of the Cabinets including Scotchman's Peaks, Savage Mountain, Sawtooth Peak, and Star Peak. About 3 miles before you get to the Idaho border there is the Amber Bear Restaurant and Inn which is definitely worth the detour. Immediately before you get to the Idaho border (where the road changes to a paved road!) there is a brand new park on the right, with signs: Cabinet View Nature Area. It just opened in June, and you can walk through prairie, woods, and along wetlands incl. a beaver dam. It's no bigger than what you can hike in about an hour, and it is mostly flat. The trail gets a bit confusing when you're at the lake, because some trails are still being developed, so study the map before you start out, but you're never more than 10-15 minutes away from the road, so you really can't get lost.

Then continue west on River Road (the Idaho continuation of Clark Fork Road) to the bridge over the mighty Clark Fork River, but instead of driving across the bridge, allow yourself another little excursion and go west down Johnson Creek Road along the river. The views of the river are just out of this world--at every turn there is a new photo motif. The road actually goes all the way up the Green Monarchs to Bayview, but we usually turn around where the road splits, going up the mountain to the left, and to the Johnson Creek boat landing on the right. A few of my pictures in my album are taken from Johnson Creek Road. You can also walk out on the foot bridge across the river and enjoy the scope of the river. Best place I know for sunset pictures in the summer!

River Road will take you back to nice, friendly little Clark Fork with its 3 restaurants (one is brand new, Kelly's Classic Cars Cafe with really good food), as well as the Clark Fork Pantry with its superb sandwiches and good bakery, and then you'll have the treat of going along the Delta and Lake Pend Oreille back to Sandpoint. A great little day trip if you're in CdA or Sandpoint. And then you'll say, Now I see why CFF chose Clark Fork!

Last edited by Clark Fork Fantast; 08-18-2019 at 12:18 PM..

Old 08-18-2019, 07:19 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
You guys got me excited about a drive today. We took 200 to CF then across the bridge to check out the south side. Then back across at the first bridge in MT, then up 56. What a pretty drive up 56! The Cabinets are gorgeous from this location. We got take out from our favorite place in Bonners Ferry and drove out to the boat launch by the wildlife refuge. The dogs had fun in the river. What a beautiful day for a drive. I love Idaho.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:26 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,783,819 times
I've always been real impressed with the drive on 12 from Lolo pass through Lochsha. The first time I drove that, it blew me away and sold me on central Idaho as a great mountain destination. I've been back several times for backpacking, both that and surrounding areas - the Selway Bitterroot, River of No Return, Nez Perce, Payette. It's my favorite mountain destination in the country as it is so wild and vast and many parts of it so untouched by civilization.

Old 08-24-2019, 02:17 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I'm going to print the suggestions. I love a scenic drive ni the mountains.

I decide to go and spend a couple of days at Glacier. Since I already drove on hwy 2, I think I'll take the route through Coeur d'Alene ( I-90 to hwy 93 )to get there and come back on 2, taking some of the alternate routes suggested here.

I am hoping that the crowds will thin after Labor day. My son is going to take one of the dogs on a fishing trip, leaving me with only one dog to manage, so it seems like a good time to take a little vacation for myself.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:36 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,747,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I decide to go and spend a couple of days at Glacier. Since I already drove on hwy 2, I think I'll take the route through Coeur d'Alene ( I-90 to hwy 93 )to get there and come back on 2, taking some of the alternate routes suggested here.

I am hoping that the crowds will thin after Labor day. My son is going to take one of the dogs on a fishing trip, leaving me with only one dog to manage, so it seems like a good time to take a little vacation for myself.
We will eat up at Glacier after Labor Day too. Hoping it’s the perfect time. We usually go in June.
Driving the big RV though so not taking the really scenic routes.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:43 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,374,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

You can also take 125 north out of St. Regis. Not as nice a drive overall, but still some nice scenery for about the first fifty miles or so. Then hop on 93 to go home.

Try the Night Owl in Columbia Falls if you're in the mood for ribs. Get there early, though.

Old 08-25-2019, 12:23 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,747,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
We will eat up at Glacier after Labor Day too. Hoping it’s the perfect time. We usually go in June.
Driving the big RV though so not taking the really scenic routes.
We will BE up at Glacier.
Thanks for nothing, autocorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho