Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 08:56 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times

Advertisements

OP didn't ask about living in an TV while building a house. He asked about living full time in an RV on his own land in order to save money. Not really the same thing.

I have no idea. It should be easy enough to find out with a small amount of research, but perhaps OP could make his own phone calls to the building permit people or the health department? Everyone there is pleasant and helpful and OP could get a meaningful answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 09:44 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP didn't ask about living in an TV while building a house. He asked about living full time in an RV on his own land in order to save money. Not really the same thing.
From a regulatory perspective I don't think there is a difference. Jurisdictions either allow people to live in an RV on their property or they do not. The particular reasons for doing so are not usually relevant.

The answer is impossible to know for certain without knowing the specific location since land use regs vary from one jurisdiction to another. The OP needs to settle on a specific location (or a small number of candidates), then the answer can easily be found by calling that jurisdiction's planning department.

Dave

Old 08-07-2019, 10:39 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,522 times
Quote:
OP didn't ask about living in an TV while building a house.
Typos can be pretty funny LOL

Old 08-07-2019, 03:35 PM

26 posts, read 55,807 times
The Sandpoint food scene is awesome....my hubs has had Celiac for 13 years and so I get it...finding food you guys can eat is of utmost importance in picking a place to live.

This cafe is 100% Gluten Free so no risk at all of cross contamination:
City Beach Organics – an eatery
It's freaking delicious. So fresh.

Winter Ridge Natural Market has all the products she'd need (there is also a big Super One with a good sized natural section and better prices). The Market also has a salad bar and hot bar with GF items marked, although they do warn that their kitchen is shared.

There are also several food trucks that serve GF foods only and they are near that Market: SoulPicnic and HeartBowls

CDA has a bigger market even called Pilgram's and would everything totally everything. Also there are some great restaurants in CDA that have been great in working with my husband's dietary needs.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-09-2019, 04:39 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
Living in an RV isn't really high on the list of things that a county goes after unless someone complains. My neighbors have family members living in 3 of them all around their house, they've been there at least 10 years. You might get more squawking from neighbors in city limits on a smaller lot. If your property looks like a landfill then then are more likely to complain though it probably won't do any good.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:31 PM

11 posts, read 8,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Can you transfer to an O'Reilly here? There is one in CDA and also in Post Falls. There is plenty of retail work, my husband is a retail manager as well. Turnover is high and pay is on the low end, store managers do well.

The better RV parks can be expensive for monthly living - $600 plus in CDA/PF. As far as living on property in an RV most likely any issues will be with city ordinances rather than county, though Kootenai will have the most restrictions. Not so much in Bonner or Boundary. You will have to travel to dump your black water unless you get a honey bucket. Lots of people do that. Properties in housing developments (even large acreage ones not in city limits) will likely have CC&Rs that restrict RV living.

Good luck in your decision. I would suggest visiting before moving and renting before buying anything, even land. Definitely spend a winter here before buying.

I'm fairly sure I could transfer, may have to take a different position but that's not too big of a deal. I did find that there's an Oreilly's in Ponderay too, I think. That would probably be the first route of employment I would try, since I already work for them and have good standing and reputation with them. If not them, maybe one of the other parts stores.

How does that 600 a month at RV parks compare to rent for a house in the same area?

Last edited by Canuckabilly; 08-09-2019 at 08:50 PM..

Old 08-09-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
The laws on living in you own RV on your own land are usually OK with it; in some locales, you may need to have the septic system in place before doing that for an extended period of time. And some developments will have covenants restricting what you can and cannot do.

Go on to the website of the counties you are interested in (I assume you will be looking outside of a the city limits?) , and see if they have direct info on camper living on your own land; it usually will be in the municipal code, so see if you can download the code and read that part. Or, call the building and planning department.. or the health department who will issue the septic permit. And no offense to realtors, but don't count on a realtor to necessarily know the local codes, but they should be able to help obtain copies of any covenants for you to read.

I'd expect employment opportunities to be a lot better in the CdA area than an area like Salmon.
Quote:
4 seasons, yes, but be prepared, winters are harsh if you aren't accustomed to living with snow and ice, and in the dark.

There are plenty of entry level type of jobs in Coeur d'Alene that pay more than minimum wage, but rent is high, so a low wage job with a single worker family is going to make cost of living tough. Go to Craigslist Spokane rentals and put CDA into the search feature to see how high the rents are. That will bring up rentals in Coeur d'Alene and all the surrounding small towns.

Be aware that competition for the lower priced rentals is extremely tough. You won't just walk in and get the one you see online. Dozens of other people are applying for it, too.

I don't see people in RV's living on private lots, so suspect that it isn't allowed. Do your own research on that. The RV parks are charging as much as the cheap motels, so no bargain living there.
Quote:
You can buy the same gluten-free foods here that you can find anywhere else. I don't like very many of them, so I make all of my gluten-free food at home. If you actually end up moving here post a question about where to find gluten free food and I will help, but I'm not going to give a shopping list to someone who hasn't committed to living in the area,

I will do some calling around when we are a little more certain and have a particular area in mind. I mostly mentioned it on the chance someone had direct experience with it.

Good to know on the GF food, I understand your feeling and appreciate the info provided.

I remember the northern winters from when I was a kid in Canada, didn't bother me then but that was admittedly a long time ago. But, it's just part of living up there. BTW, are the Northern Light ever visible in the area? I used to see them occasionally when I was a kid in Ontario, kinda miss it. Milky Way too. I like star gazing also.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldmama View Post
The Sandpoint food scene is awesome....my hubs has had Celiac for 13 years and so I get it...finding food you guys can eat is of utmost importance in picking a place to live.

This cafe is 100% Gluten Free so no risk at all of cross contamination:
City Beach Organics – an eatery
It's freaking delicious. So fresh.

Winter Ridge Natural Market has all the products she'd need (there is also a big Super One with a good sized natural section and better prices). The Market also has a salad bar and hot bar with GF items marked, although they do warn that their kitchen is shared.

There are also several food trucks that serve GF foods only and they are near that Market: SoulPicnic and HeartBowls

CDA has a bigger market even called Pilgram's and would everything totally everything. Also there are some great restaurants in CDA that have been great in working with my husband's dietary needs.

Hope that helps!

Great to hear, thanks!

Old 08-09-2019, 08:45 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckabilly View Post
I will do some calling around when we are a little more certain and have a particular area in mind. I mostly mentioned it on the chance someone had direct experience with it.

Good to know on the GF food, I understand your feeling and appreciate the info provided.

I remember the northern winters from when I was a kid in Canada, didn't bother me then but that was admittedly a long time ago. But, it's just part of living up there. BTW, are the Northern Light ever visible in the area? I used to see them occasionally when I was a kid in Ontario, kinda miss it. Milky Way too. I like star gazing also.
The northern lights were visible here just a few nights ago. Of course I missed them, dang it.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:59 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckabilly View Post
I'm fairly sure I could transfer, may have to take a different position but that's not too big of a deal. I did find that there's an Oreilly's in Ponderay too, I think. That would probably be the first route of employment I would try, since I already work for them and have good standing and reputation with them. If not them, maybe one of the other parts stores.

How does that 600 a month at RV parks compare to rent for a house in the same area?
Houses will be much more expensive and it depends on how much room you need. I have seen houses at $1200-2000+. My sons are renting a 2bd 2ba apartment 1100sq ft for $1189 and it has a washer/dryer. Middle of the road as far as quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho