Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 01:32 PM

241 posts, read 998,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineboy View Post
It sounds like you live in Idaho Falls which is a very nice area. But Eastern Idaho is practically a different world from the rest of the state especially the Boise area. Boise is so full of transplants, even from other areas of Idaho and I don't perceive that attitude here.
I live in Buhl, just West of Twin Falls. It is a real nice area but the mountains are too far away for me! I did live in Shelley, IF, Ashton and the Milo area before we moved out here for my husbands business. I never go to Boise but I go through Boise to OR once in a blue moon. We did go to Garden City last Feb for the Horse Fair and I can't believe how many ppl are there now. I was so lost that I couldn't tell which way was which. Lucky for us though my husband's parents were there for a few yrs while she was getting her cancer treatments and he knew where to go. I have a hard enough time in the traffic on I-84 to Ontario there is no way that I could live there.

I really do enjoy Buhl but it is a small town and they do know what you are doing before you do it, LOL, but that is small town life in Idaho!

Old 12-07-2006, 12:15 AM

922 posts, read 1,910,263 times
well now that you have vented about how wonderful the CA influx is, please relise there are as many bad stories to tell. unfortuneatly it takes only one bad to out weigh many good. as to farmers selling out, its usually the kids after the old farmer dies. cant blame them its good money. what was once cattle land open to hunting is now 20 ac plots for homes. to some a wonderful change, to others a loss. depends on which side of the fence you stand on.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:11 AM

217 posts, read 1,003,319 times
Default noniesgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by noniesgirl View Post
I am so sick and tired of people ragging on the people from CA that move into Idaho. They are moving here to get away from CA, to find the beauty that we all enjoy. They are police officers, judges, firemen, paramedics, business owners.... I could go on and on. They pay taxes just the same as we all do. They want to raise thier children somewhere safe, or they want to retire somewhere they can look out their window and see the beautiful mountains. If all the so-called "Native Idahoan's" would check into their geneology, they would find that they came from families that "transplanted" here from somewhere else. Frankly, the ONLY "Native Idahoans" are the Native Americans, they were here before anyone else. So Skitow, I say WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi to you. Thanks for your support. I love how you stated YOUR feelings. Well said!! About Native Americans. Don't even get me started on that subject. We all should bend over and kiss their feet for the living hell that our forefathers put them through. Killing them off so they could steal THEIR country. We all are in great debt to the true American land owners, the Native Americans.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:49 AM

the indians were wrongly killed and there land taken. OK, so you wont mind giving up CAILF. to the mexicans coming in, after all it was theres before you! and they do plan on taking it back, without firing a shot. alls fair in love n war.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:16 AM

318 posts, read 1,317,709 times
I think it is not just CA coming into Idaho that is changing things...could it also be progress...the times are a changing. I'm 52 and where I was born and grew up in CA has changed a lot. What was once pasture and horses is now homes and apartments. There were no sidewalks and now there are. The homes were $17,000. when our family moved there now they are over a million. It isn't just happening in idaho. It is a sign of the times.

Think about it. In my 52 years the new things that have come to past. That folks now take for granted. For instance...the microwave. I can remember when the first ones were sold. Everyone was afraid of them because the waves might be harmful to us. But the real harm was in...family values...no more, did mom say...I only fix dinner once, so be here or go hungry. Not many families all sit down together for breakfast or dinner. Folks come home at different times and warm stuff up. No one gathers around the table anymore. That was the real harm.

The computer. When I was young no one but Nasa had computers. Now it is uncommon not to have one in the home. The internet. That was sc-fi when I was young. Who would have ever thought that we can now not live without it.

The cell phone. Only rich people had cell phones and they were huge with big batteries. Now I can't leave the house without it. I spend more time on the road then I do at home. I hate it. The schools expect to be able to reach you at a moments notice and so does everyone else.

Our cars are now tracked by gps and so are our cell phones. Talk about big brother watching

DVD'S in our cars so the kids don't get bored. Whatever happened to talking about what you see out the window. Video games everywhere. No one talks to their kids anymore. Everyone is on the cell phone or the kids are being entertained by electronics.

The only thing I had in my room when I was young was a record player. Now if you send a kid to their room...no big deal...they could stay in there for days before they asked to come out They got all they need. Cell phone, tv,video games, and cd and dvd players.

Okay, I could go on and on. Sorry for rambling...but it is not all about CA residents. It is about the times we live in.

Izzy

Old 12-07-2006, 01:04 PM

Default progress?

times have changed, but is it really for the better? but thats another thread.people moving in overcrowding changes things alright. all im asking is please folks dont keep saying "thats the way it is in calif." asif we should change because of that. and i have heard that alot! the usual response is "go back then". you all have a right to move in anywhere, if your life-style or thinking is that much diff than mine i have a right to not accept it an ignore you. thats the way it is. yes its a twoway street.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:02 PM

Default izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
I think it is not just CA coming into Idaho that is changing things...could it also be progress...the times are a changing. I'm 52 and where I was born and grew up in CA has changed a lot. What was once pasture and horses is now homes and apartments. There were no sidewalks and now there are. The homes were $17,000. when our family moved there now they are over a million. It isn't just happening in idaho. It is a sign of the times.

Think about it. In my 52 years the new things that have come to past. That folks now take for granted. For instance...the microwave. I can remember when the first ones were sold. Everyone was afraid of them because the waves might be harmful to us. But the real harm was in...family values...no more, did mom say...I only fix dinner once, so be here or go hungry. Not many families all sit down together for breakfast or dinner. Folks come home at different times and warm stuff up. No one gathers around the table anymore. That was the real harm.

The computer. When I was young no one but Nasa had computers. Now it is uncommon not to have one in the home. The internet. That was sc-fi when I was young. Who would have ever thought that we can now not live without it.

The cell phone. Only rich people had cell phones and they were huge with big batteries. Now I can't leave the house without it. I spend more time on the road then I do at home. I hate it. The schools expect to be able to reach you at a moments notice and so does everyone else.

Our cars are now tracked by gps and so are our cell phones. Talk about big brother watching

DVD'S in our cars so the kids don't get bored. Whatever happened to talking about what you see out the window. Video games everywhere. No one talks to their kids anymore. Everyone is on the cell phone or the kids are being entertained by electronics.

The only thing I had in my room when I was young was a record player. Now if you send a kid to their room...no big deal...they could stay in there for days before they asked to come out They got all they need. Cell phone, tv,video games, and cd and dvd players.

Okay, I could go on and on. Sorry for rambling...but it is not all about CA residents. It is about the times we live in.

Izzy
I don't think it's rambling, I find it refreshing really. I haven't sat down with family and had dinner since I was 18. That was 41 years ago lol. The record player, same thing here. There is nothing wrong about talking about the old days. I never had kids so- no sit down dinners. I'm still laughing about your post. Yes, times have changed. skitow

Old 12-07-2006, 03:16 PM

Default For Marks eyes only

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
times have changed, but is it really for the better? but thats another thread.people moving in overcrowding changes things alright. all im asking is please folks dont keep saying "thats the way it is in calif." asif we should change because of that. and i have heard that alot! the usual response is "go back then". you all have a right to move in anywhere, if your life-style or thinking is that much diff than mine i have a right to not accept it an ignore you. thats the way it is. yes its a twoway street.
Don't worry Mark. It's fine if you hate my guts. I don't care. I have no intention whatsoever of moving to Idaho. I won't change a thing for you. I hope you can find some inner peace and relax. I wish you the best in life. skitow

Old 12-07-2006, 04:50 PM

318 posts, read 1,317,709 times
Thanks skitow for your kind words. Mark I hear yeah, but I don't know if you can stop the changes from happening. No one in CA wanted the over crowding and lifestyle change either. It just happened over time. A little land developed here...a little land developed there. It's not like CA residents said...YES fill in all the land and bring in all the people.

Some cities control growth. But eventually it all seems to come down to the property owners right to sell property to developers. Can't blame one without blaming the other. If Idaho farmers and landowners didn't sell...then no one could buy. But I have heard of folks being pressured by city government. With the threat of domain laws. I know someone here who owned 100 acres. Been in their family forever. But it was smack in the middle of the cities & developers way. It was sale or get taken away by domain laws.

I don't see this overcrowding being any one groups fault. But I do see changes in not just Idaho but the country.

Izzy

Old 12-07-2006, 06:03 PM

278 posts, read 1,139,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
Thanks skitow for your kind words. Mark I hear yeah, but I don't know if you can stop the changes from happening. No one in CA wanted the over crowding and lifestyle change either. It just happened over time. A little land developed here...a little land developed there. It's not like CA residents said...YES fill in all the land and bring in all the people.

Some cities control growth. But eventually it all seems to come down to the property owners right to sell property to developers. Can't blame one without blaming the other. If Idaho farmers and landowners didn't sell...then no one could buy. But I have heard of folks being pressured by city government. With the threat of domain laws. I know someone here who owned 100 acres. Been in their family forever. But it was smack in the middle of the cities & developers way. It was sale or get taken away by domain laws.

I don't see this overcrowding being any one groups fault. But I do see changes in not just Idaho but the country.

Izzy

Aw but it is so much easier to blame someone other then the people we vote into office or our self as we handle the pile of money we just made on some new move ins from were ever . Be it from selling a home, some land or services to them. No one says any thing about the Idaho leaders that are running around or having people do it for them to other states bragging how great things are and trying to get them to move. What I find the funniest is they tend to go after the small business owners and brag how cheap it is to do business in Idaho. Yuppers no safety net for the average Joe worker at all. So few places offer any kind of benefit package. It was one thing that came as a total shock when I moved to Idaho. I could deal with the wages but not having any health coverage, retirement or other such things because of the right to work laws. The only thing I will say on that one is every one has always had a chouse to work some were or not if you do and it is union then you chouse that and pay there dues or go work some were other and stop complaining. There are other companies out there that are not union you can work at. Just to put things in place the only time I worked a union shop was in Idaho as it was the only way I could make any money and have any benefits such as they were. Other places I have lived and worked me got the same pay and or benefits as a union shop. The companies did this to keep out unions but it was still a chouse I got to make unlike in Idaho were a union is a rare thing just like pay and benefits. Yes some offer them or pay okay but not the majority. Ask any young person out there just starting out what they get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho