Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 07:23 AM

32,654 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

I think it is a bit odd to drive hundreds, even thousands, of miles to see something you can't look at, but the people watching should be really good.

I suppose there is the possibility of some bad temper flare-ups. If all the people actually materialize, that's a lot of people who are planning to be in the same spots during a short time period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 11:02 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,955 times
Well yes it is a lot of people. Hoping the build up to this is not going to be as big as the actual reality. I guess I will try to treat it as we did Y2K and draw up some water have groceries on hand and cars gassed up. not that I would be driving during these days. And mostly keep the garage and house locked.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:03 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think it is a bit odd to drive hundreds, even thousands, of miles to see something you can't look at, but the people watching should be really good.

I suppose there is the possibility of some bad temper flare-ups. If all the people actually materialize, that's a lot of people who are planning to be in the same spots during a short time period.
There were eclipse tours from Australia, Japan, Mideast booked years ago. Costs vary from 20-50K and up!

We will be in Idaho purely as a co-incidence. We are taking a Columbia and snake Rivers cruise and finish in Lewiston

So, if weather is bad, we will be disappointed, but we didn't pay a fortune to get there

Old 07-31-2017, 02:34 PM

518 posts, read 1,053,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
I was hoping some one from here would be coming this way. I would offer a place to stay. I hate to be a whimp but I am alone now.

If you are driving up 95 stop in I am only 5 houses off the highway. I am about 68 miles south of McCall.

My neighbor also mentioned possible bad things. Trying to stay positive. Midvale is such a tiny town I can not even imagine where all the people supposed to come in will park. OHHH Maybe I should allow parking in my 100 foot wide driveway as a line of protection across the front of my house. Hummm.

I forget how far out Crain Creek is. Really hoping many go out there. But then there is a flat topped hill right beside my house and people might try to go up there. Not my property so have no say so one way or the other. I will just sit in my own yard to watch. The eclipse and the people I guess.
I'm one who was planning to come out from the east Coast and drive up from Denver to WY, but ID was a possibility too. I finally found a fare, but rental cars from Denver are utterly ridiculous.

I don't think you have to worry a bit about crime. People coming for an eclipse are not criminals. Just excited by a once in a lifetime event. You could make a fortune offering campsites probably. Hotels were booked ages ago.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:40 PM

518 posts, read 1,053,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
Just had notice the county DA and I think it is Sheriff will be hosting a town hall meeting here in Midvale for those considering renting out spaces to viewers in our area. Since we are in line of totality I guess it will be crowded here. I have not seen or heard much else about it though. Rentals at the airport for dry camping. A couple other places. I guess no one from this forum is coming this way??
I've been planning to for a year, but some things came up and now I'm on the fence. Just waiting to find the right airfare/car rental combo to make it a go. Would like to be in ID or WY, but right now not sure. Debating driving to TN instead, though it would be less fulfilling.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisertime View Post
I've been planning to for a year, but some things came up and now I'm on the fence. Just waiting to find the right airfare/car rental combo to make it a go. Would like to be in ID or WY, but right now not sure. Debating driving to TN instead, though it would be less fulfilling.
Weisertime , Thank you for the vote of confidence on the low crime possibilities. That is a shame it is not working out for you. Hopefully it will come together as time gets closer. I really do not want to even consider renting out sites on my property. My animals would be even more freaked than they will be just with all that is going on. Not to mention ME Hahahaha. I do know I am planning to stock up on my groceries no later than the 15th and maybe even sooner than that so I do not have to be out on the highway during the time people are coming in and leaving. HA there is a small airport maybe you can get some one to fly you in.

Good luck I do hope it works out for you. and Thanks again.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:54 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
I don't remember any livestock panicking during the 1960 eclipse. They all grew quiet and hunkered down, even the horses.

No one will be prepared for the massive temperature drop, I think. It got colder than hell real fast- late night cold in minutes.
I think the animals may think a massive storm is rolling in, and that's why they all settled so fast. But all the critters sure got frisky after the eclipse passed!

The birds sang their little lungs out, and all the critters ran around kicking and jumping afterwards. I did, too. A person's mood goes from ominous to joyful in the wink of an eye when the sun peeks back out. But when it's dark, that darkness turns the minutes into hours while every second grows colder and colder.

It will definitely be the weirdest 2-3 minutes most folks have ever experienced. There's nothing like it. For a few moments, everyone will be exposed to the massive powers of the universe, a thing all of us take for granted mentally, but never physically. Knowing it will end changes nothing; for a few minutes, we will all be back in the cave, fearing the forces of nature surrounding us.

Even the flowers, trees and plants seem to wilt and then spring back. Lickety-split. All happy again!

And the next one is 99 years away.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:37 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
There will be another one south of us in 2045 (UT). But don't think I'll make it either.

However, solar eclipses will eventually be extinct as the unicorn. The moon is moving away from the earth at approx. 4cm per year and the last total solar eclipse will be 600 million years from now. So if you want to see one, time is running out.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:42 AM

2,349 posts, read 1,741,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
There will be another one south of us in 2045 (UT). But don't think I'll make it either.

However, solar eclipses will eventually be extinct as the unicorn. The moon is moving away from the earth at approx. 4cm per year and the last total solar eclipse will be 600 million years from now. So if you want to see one, time is running out.
God willing, if I'm still kicking, I'd be 84 years old. And I'll be there!

Old 08-02-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I don't remember any livestock panicking during the 1960 eclipse. They all grew quiet and hunkered down, even the horses.

No one will be prepared for the massive temperature drop, I think. It got colder than hell real fast- late night cold in minutes.
I think the animals may think a massive storm is rolling in, and that's why they all settled so fast. But all the critters sure got frisky after the eclipse passed!

The birds sang their little lungs out, and all the critters ran around kicking and jumping afterwards. I did, too. A person's mood goes from ominous to joyful in the wink of an eye when the sun peeks back out. But when it's dark, that darkness turns the minutes into hours while every second grows colder and colder.

It will definitely be the weirdest 2-3 minutes most folks have ever experienced. There's nothing like it. For a few moments, everyone will be exposed to the massive powers of the universe, a thing all of us take for granted mentally, but never physically. Knowing it will end changes nothing; for a few minutes, we will all be back in the cave, fearing the forces of nature surrounding us.

Even the flowers, trees and plants seem to wilt and then spring back. Lickety-split. All happy again!

And the next one is 99 years away.
I was thinking more on the lines the animals would be fearful for all the people milling around. I wish I could remember the year I did experience a fairly good solar eclipse. It did not get as dark as night more like late sunset. Had to be between 1968 and maybe 1971 in Sacramento California area. If I get my work done today I will see if I can find it on google.

Not sure if rumors or not that Oregon is supposed to be cloudy so more are flocking into Idaho. Course I am only 20 miles from the Oregon border. Hummm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho