Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 08:47 AM

85 posts, read 137,798 times

Advertisements

Put that way, Moscow's great.
We moved here from Seminole Heights, Tampa Fl, due to the big town vibe in a small town. Everything the other posters are saying is true. You have a great opportunity for a vibrant outdoor life here. The restaurants and coffee houses and parks, all showcase what we like about this town. But, keep in mined that Moscow is the only public water system in Latah County that adds Fluoride, or as I call it, insult to injury.
Thus why we distill our own drinking water.
I inquired further about the one bad mold case I heard about here. I turns out that it was caused buy a long term leaking water pipe. So no, I have not heard of any (natural) mold cases around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 03:07 AM

1 posts, read 449 times
Default New To Moscow 2023

Hi There,

I'm new and from Salem, OR. There was an algae issue in Salem, OR in 2017 onward and it was determined to be from old steel pipes (leakages) and not Green Peter lake which was the water source for Salem and suspected cause. That is how I am familiar with water issues and why I started using reverse osmosis for my water, carbon filters on my water heater, a carbon filter and vitamin c filter for my shower, and a clearly-pure filter for drinking, cooking, etc. after reverse osmosis. I basically arrived in Moscow ready and I'm glad I did. The issue in Salem is how metal steel pipes, old ones, collect mold and algae--especially over a lot of time. On the other hand, plastic or PVC (made from the same stuff that leaked into Palestine, OH after that train crash) do not collect mold or algae (the plastic chemical kills it). Neither do copper pipes, but are not used in many places due to being costly. My place has steel sinks, pipes, and PVC pipes. The place is new and the humidity is an average 25%. There have been no previous leaks and therefore not a candidate for mold issues. The steel pipes do have the algae and I had it tested at moldlabs.com who affirmed algae and hard water used by the city to treat the water. It's a common issue with older cities and the pipes in the main city water supplies would have to be replaced and that applies to Moscow in my opinion. It's a hefty $$$ task and Moscow isn't a high revenue city other than U of I.

As for newcomers to Moscow or current residents, I would recommend looking for PVC piping or copper piping and avoid steel or lead pipes while considering mold/algae. There is no reason to be overly concerned about eating-out occasionally regarding tap water, but do be cautious at home. Be cautious with renting or buying older buildings, homes, apartments and buying/renting from people who are not aware of such issues for whatever reasons. Using apple cider vinegar helps to remove hard water stains from the chemicals the city uses to treat water and kill/repel the algae from sinks and toilets; turtle wax to keep it from building-up or staining helps, and professional grade water filtration make life great in an otherwise nice small town. I am genuinely considering opening a store that sells affordable water filtration and share this knowledge since life gets better for people in Moscow after being informed, having others affirm their concerns, and even resolve the common issues regarding algae/molds.

Thanks and Blessings,
BH150

Old 05-16-2023, 08:39 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
I don't know about the water, but mold is nearly always a housekeeping issue. Unless you have a leaking roof that you don't bother to fix, everything that causes mold in a house is easily remedied by keeping your house clean, wiping up water, and running the exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho