Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,878 times

Advertisements

OK my thread title pretty much sums it all up. i have an opportunity to work for a real estate agency in twin falls, id. i am a 25 yr old hispanic female from austin tx (live music capital) and am trying to figure out whether or not i will "enjoy" twin falls. I am used to driving an hour or so to diff cities if i feel like getting out and having a change of pace but is it that easy to do in idaho? i have a month to figure this out so please any comments would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 10:17 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,095,230 times
TF has a strong and thriving Hispanic population, so I think you'll find no problems on that front, if that's what you're looking for.

There will be a dramatic cultural drop-off, however. Are you sure you can handle that? I would come up and visit for a week before making that move, if you're able to.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 AM

105 posts, read 315,462 times
If you are used to driving an hour out to see different scenery, don't count on it in Idaho. Everything is soooo spaced out in Idaho and its all the same scenery. No matter if you're driving east, west, north or south from where you live, everything looks the same!! I always almost fall asleep on the road when driving through idaho. I live in Idaho Falls and just moved here from CA and you can see why I do not like it in Idaho. I'm moving back to CA in 2 months and can't wait to be back! So yeh, you are still pretty young and probably like to do fun things, maybe possibly the club scene. Don't count on doing any of that in Idaho, unless perhaps, you lived in Boise. After my experience in Idaho, I would tell you to rethink moving here. But there are others who will tell you differently, (mostly Idaho natives who think their state is wonderful) *rolls eyes*

Old 01-22-2008, 08:23 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,273,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura3407 View Post
OK my thread title pretty much sums it all up. i have an opportunity to work for a real estate agency in twin falls, id. i am a 25 yr old hispanic female from austin tx (live music capital) and am trying to figure out whether or not i will "enjoy" twin falls. I am used to driving an hour or so to diff cities if i feel like getting out and having a change of pace but is it that easy to do in idaho? i have a month to figure this out so please any comments would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance
If you make the move, there will be a huge change for you; weather, cultural activities and overall lifestyle.

My suggestion is for you to visit the area before making a decision. Southern and southeast Idaho has some beautiful areas to explore. Yes, it's high desert however there are wonderful water falls, forrested mountains and places like Crater of The Moon.

It's not meant for everyone, some folks prefer their concrete jungles and well that's alright by me. I grew up in CA and that was not for me, my husband and I were lucky enough that our wonderful country had a place for us to feel right at home.

Best of luck in your decision making.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:44 AM

6 posts, read 32,089 times
Default I agree Twin Falls is not for everybody!!

There is not a lot to do, and only few good places to eat, and shopping leave's a lot to be desired!!
If you like to feel isolated from the rest of the world..(safe) and like doing outdoor nature stuff, getting away from the Rat-Race then I think you would enjoy it.
Lived there 3 1/2 years. "Just One Reporter's Opinion".

Old 06-30-2008, 11:26 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,524,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura3407 View Post
...i have an opportunity to work for a real estate agency in twin falls, id. i am a 25 yr old hispanic female from austin tx (live music capital) and am trying to figure out whether or not i will "enjoy" twin falls...
Make sure it is a paying job!

Old 06-30-2008, 06:09 PM

130 posts, read 428,628 times
Sigh....

I'm sorry, but I would never recommend to someone who is young and energetic that they move to Idaho.

It's a wonderful place to visit, truly. My first three months here, I enjoyed it immensely.

But to try to make a life here when you are used to a certain degree of culture, civility, etc... It's really difficult. If it weren't for my fiance, whom I love with all my heart, I wouldn't still be here. The chances are, I will be going back to Washington soon, without him

Last edited by Greensleeves; 06-30-2008 at 06:27 PM..

Old 06-30-2008, 10:37 PM

17 posts, read 111,069 times
The best for you if you do decide to come to Idaho - come to Boise/Metro area...otherwise, you will be WAY to bored, in culture shock, and just plain hating it....

Granted, Boise is no Austin, but there is WAY more to do here then anywhere else in Idaho given where you are coming from.....

IMHO....

Old 06-30-2008, 11:12 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,524,223 times
She might like Idaho Falls.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:25 PM

210 posts, read 947,224 times
Idaho scenery can seem bland, if you stay on the highways and freeways but there all sorts of hidden gems. The best parts of Idaho are off the beaten track, and discovering something new.

For instance, last weekend I went through Twin to a wedding in Mtn. Home. We camped and Bruneau Dunes and enjoyed an awesome night at the observatory, went to the bruneau canyon overlook at the advice of a small store clerk, and stopped by Malad Gorge State Park and Shoshone Falls on the way home. All of these are not far off I-I5 (with the exception of the overlook) but you would never known they were there except for the road signs and I think the Drive from Burley to Boise is about the most boring in the state.

Sure you can visit and see some things, but there are places like this all over the state, usually within a hour from where you live.

I'm sure you will find Twin Falls boring if you like live music and clubs. If you like hiking, camping, fishing etc you will be okay. Jackpot, Boise, and Sun Valley are all within an hour or two so if you are willing to drive you can have some fun weekends with a little bit more culture and shopping too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho