Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 11:30 AM

551 posts, read 804,469 times

Advertisements

Seems like the male spiders go roaming around in the fall. I guess I'll be getting away from the desert recluse but moving into hobo territory. I'm going to go around the house with tubes of caulk and silicone and seal up every little hole and gap before I move in. I hate spiders!!! LOL This is from an article a couple years ago:

OH NO! It's Hobo Spider Season - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Anyone try traps like these and do they do any good?

Amazon.com: hobo spider trap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 12:42 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Wow.
The Big H Hobo spider trap is now discontinued!
That's the only one I know of that really worked. The guy who invented it lived here in Idaho Falls and became a self-taught spider expert. He was the one who identified the Hobo as being the problem biter; up until then, the Brown Recluse was thought to be the culprit.

The Big H used Hobo pheromones as bait. While the Hobos aren't as bad around my place as they were ca. 2004-5, back then I dropped a Big H in the basement and it caught 18 Hobos in 24 hours that I never knew were down there.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:40 PM

551 posts, read 804,469 times
Thanks Banjo. Good to hear that the traps work. I better stock up on them and put them all over the place when I finally move up there.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:29 PM

332 posts, read 483,342 times
Hm... might be worth it to contact the manufacturer and find out what's going on. Found 2 websites that look like they belong to the guy in IF...

HoboSpider.com- Poisonous Hobo Spider and Brown Recluse Spider Information and Big H Spider and Insect Traps.
Big H Products--Hobo & Brown Recluse Spider, Cockroach, and other insect Traps

Alternate source to purchase them outside of Amazon: http://www.belnapstore.com/servlet/C...Spider+Control

We just moved here and I was unaware of the potential danger here. Looks like I need to get some traps and set them by the garage doors...

Old 08-22-2014, 03:51 PM

276 posts, read 644,408 times
I've caught some pretty big Hobos just using those sticky mouse traps.
Spiders seem to be attracted to those.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden_is View Post
Hm... might be worth it to contact the manufacturer and find out what's going on. Found 2 websites that look like they belong to the guy in IF...

HoboSpider.com- Poisonous Hobo Spider and Brown Recluse Spider Information and Big H Spider and Insect Traps.
Big H Products--Hobo & Brown Recluse Spider, Cockroach, and other insect Traps

Alternate source to purchase them outside of Amazon: Results for Pest Control:Spider Control

We just moved here and I was unaware of the potential danger here. Looks like I need to get some traps and set them by the garage doors...
The Hobos are actually pretty easy to kill, but the first time you see one, they will freak you out. Big brown hairy buggers that look like they're wearing boxing gloves. They bunch up and look like they want to get in a fight when aroused. But they're quite nearsighted, so it's a defensive thing. They will hesitate around the side of a room, but if the cross an open space, they're quite fast.

I don't know how bad they are all over the state, but here in I.F., they haven't been as bad as they were a decade or so ago. SE Idaho has had quite a few cool wet springs in the past few years, and that may have something to do with their recent decline.

So far this summer, I've only seen one in the house. 10 years ago, I would be stomping 2-3 a week at this time of year, as I tend to leave my door that leads to a deck open most of the time.

They're supposed to be bad climbers, but they manage to get in a bathtub pretty good. Most of the ones I had ended up in the basement.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:11 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Wow.
The Big H Hobo spider trap is now discontinued!
That's the only one I know of that really worked. The guy who invented it lived here in Idaho Falls and became a self-taught spider expert. He was the one who identified the Hobo as being the problem biter; up until then, the Brown Recluse was thought to be the culprit.

The Big H used Hobo pheromones as bait. While the Hobos aren't as bad around my place as they were ca. 2004-5, back then I dropped a Big H in the basement and it caught 18 Hobos in 24 hours that I never knew were down there.
That's freakin' spooky. I'm not normally bothered by snakes or spiders, but poisonous ones are another matter! I heard about Hobos again just a few days ago and got bit by something getting into bed a night later...felt like a yellow jacket...but the Hobo story makes me paranoid! I'm sure it's nothing, had a red spot an inch or two around but it's going away. I'm glad we don't have rattlers this far north. I'm not bothered by lions, wolves or bears, but poisonous stuff freaks me out!

Old 08-22-2014, 10:49 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,277,653 times
You wimp, I fry up Hobos and sprinkle them on my corn flakes.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:04 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
You wimp, I fry up Hobos and sprinkle them on my corn flakes.
LOL. I know what you ride You might find a really big spider on your seat at the next ride.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:14 AM

My bro is terrified of spiders.
A long time ago, he had a fiddle that was broken and sent it to a friend of his for repair. The guy knew he was scared of spiders, and noticed an old long-dead black widow in the corner of his shop.
After he got the repair done, he brushed a coat of varnish on the dead spider and stuck it into one of the F-holes in the fiddle body. Then he sent it back by UPS.

My bro went over and fetched it, and couldn't wait until he got back home to check it out. He opened the box outside the UPS office door and looked the fiddle over. Then he glanced into the F-hole and saw the varnished spider with it's two front legs up in the air.
Reflexively, he spooked and threw the fiddle away from him!
It landed in a snowbank, which was lucky. If it had landed on the sidewalk, it would have been all busted up again.

He still has it, spider and all, but he won't play it any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho