Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 09:45 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,757,946 times

Advertisements

Storm barely started and the phones are out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 09:50 PM

332 posts, read 484,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Storm barely started and the phones are out.
Well, we're more prepared this third time around than we were before. I'm hoping this storm isn't as fierce and any outages are short-lived. Lord knows the crews have had plenty of practice this season.

Last edited by aiden_is; 08-12-2014 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-12-2014, 10:44 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,848,884 times
And...the weakest trees are already down...maybe we'll be a little better off. The forecast I saw only called for 50mph winds and hail...so we may get off easier. Finger crossed...

Old 08-13-2014, 06:30 AM

235 posts, read 376,144 times
oh dear - I hope you all are okay.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:41 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,315,829 times
I do not ask this to be critical, nor be snide, I ask to hear your perspective as to why all the fuss and concern over weather that "we" here in southcentral Alaska experience on a regular basis, is so alarming to "you", who live in northern Idaho and NE Washington.

Is it because this type of weather is uncommon?

Do power outages always occur when a storm rolls through?

Are emergency crews ill-equipped to respond?

Do everyday goings on become paralyzed until the event passes?

I have to wonder at it all merely due to the frequency we experience "severe" weather here and how we are basically unaffected by it.

Please share your perspective, thank you.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:38 AM

159 posts, read 355,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
I do not ask this to be critical, nor be snide, I ask to hear your perspective as to why all the fuss and concern over weather that "we" here in southcentral Alaska experience on a regular basis, is so alarming to "you", who live in northern Idaho and NE Washington.

I have to wonder at it all merely due to the frequency we experience "severe" weather here and how we are basically unaffected by it.

I doubt you experience storm damage like this on a regular basis: http://www.kxly.com/news/spokane-new...-park/27133506
This is some of the worst, but many trees fell in Washington and Idaho with this storm.

Now if I'm wrong and this seems like nothing then you guys in Alaska are tougher than I thought.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:04 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,414,183 times
Quote:

Like Alaska, it all depends on where you live here. The Idaho panhandle has been getting a lot of rough weather lately, but southern Idaho hasn't gotten the worst of the weather, even though most moves down here eventually.

The panhandle has relatively few large towns, and getting high winds in severe weather is unusual. Since there are lots of folks who are living far from a strong power grid there, it's natural they will comment about the unusual weather.

Down in the south, it's windier, so folks are more accustomed to having trees blow down in a severe storm. The population in the south is much higher than the panhandle, so the power grid here is more expansive.
It is rare to have a power outage of more than a couple of hours, even after a series of bad storms.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:18 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,315,829 times
As to property damage such 40+ mobile homes getting blown apart, no we do not see that. Existing mobile home here are required to have tie-downs that prevent such occurrences, also, mobile homes have been prohibited for 20 or so(?) years, and any that are left will go the way of the dodo by attrition. Now, as for trees getting blown down, of course, very common, particularly since trees and other plants in Alaska do not have tap roots, they are all surface rooted so are susceptible to high, flooding is also common, wildfire(typically millions of acres burn each year).

It seems to me, perhaps, is that structures are not built sturdy enough to withstand the weather conditions that high winds bring. We get 100+MPH winds every year, often 2 or 3 times, and often the only property damage is shingles being blown off.

I guess the medias propensity to dramatize things is more to blame than anything. We here of so much about "terrible and tragic" weather in the L48 that is "everyday" stuff here, while the media reports next to nothing of what occurs here. I get the impression that everyday goings on come to a screeching halt and people are running around like Chicken Little and all that.

I want to have as realistic an expectation as possible when my wife and move to the area, rather than have expectations of a circus about to ensue, though the entertainment value would be rich.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:25 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,757,946 times
Where were 40 plus mobile homes "blown apart"? The place I spoke of had trees come down on them. Many, many trees.
It may not be intentional but your posts sound very patronizing and belittling. I don't think your future neighbors in Idaho (or anywhere else) will take kindly to that.

If mobile homes are prohibited in Alaska...why are they still selling them? http://www.careyhomes.net/

Old 08-13-2014, 04:00 PM

138 posts, read 270,335 times
Quote:
As to property damage such 40+ mobile homes getting blown apart, no we do not see that. Existing mobile home here are required to have tie-downs that prevent such occurrences
judging from the news story posted, the wind didn't blow the trailers apart but rather broke trees that fell or were flung into trailers.

And these storms aren't tornadoes? Just really high winds? Just trying to understand, I think I might have seen a 70mph wind only once or twice in my life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho