Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 07:22 PM

235 posts, read 375,576 times

Advertisements

Well, Para, this simply isn't fair. Why doesn't Colorado have huckleberries??!! Is there not enough huckleberries to go around? Only select few are chosen to receive the bounty of the huckleberry?? WAH!! I WANT HUCKLEBERRIES!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 09:03 PM

276 posts, read 644,118 times
Thanks for the replies. Good to hear there's a bumper crop.
Heading out in the morning. Can't wait.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:52 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
I just discovered a little volunteer tree that I've allowed to grow in my back yard is an elderberry.

I don't know a dang thing about elderberries, but I guess I'm going to learn now. it bore some fruit this year.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:35 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I just discovered a little volunteer tree that I've allowed to grow in my back yard is an elderberry.

I don't know a dang thing about elderberries, but I guess I'm going to learn now. it bore some fruit this year.
Make some wine!

I have serviceberries everywhere. I should make some serviceberry wine.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:38 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:

Where I grew up the elderberry bushes had huge fragrant flowers, and people would make a concentrated juice/syrup out of them, in addition to making juice out of the berries. I don't know if our Idaho elderberry flowers are suitable for juice making, but it's worth a try. The elderflower juice is a little too sweet for my taste, but elderberry juice is a great cold remedy, and it's very tasty.

In Northern Europe the elderberry bush/tree is steeped in folklore. You're never supposed to pick a flower or a branch with berries without asking the tree's permission... Having a volunteer elderberry is considered good fortune!

Old 08-18-2014, 10:04 AM

212 posts, read 308,885 times
Default Elderberry

Quote:

Mike,

Elderberries are highly medicinal and an awesome addition to any homestead (as CFF pointed out). Elderberries mix well with sea berries (which grow in our climate) to make very powerful immune system boosting, nutritional juices.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:25 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius4 View Post
Mike,

Elderberries are highly medicinal and an awesome addition to any homestead (as CFF pointed out). Elderberries mix well with sea berries (which grow in our climate) to make very powerful immune system boosting, nutritional juices.
That's good to know. I need all the immunity I can get!

Old 08-19-2014, 08:25 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Elderberries are actually supposed to be nature's anti-viral drug. I don't know if it's been borne out in clinical studies or not but lots and lots of Sambucol (elderberry syrup) is sold for that purpose.

Wait....here you go: Elderberries as a Flu Remedy - WSJ

Old 08-22-2014, 01:42 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimit2 View Post
Hey CFF...Picked a bunch of fine "hucks" along Mosquito Creek near Clark Fork last week. Having a stack of hotcakes loaded with the sweet berries right now as I'm typing this.

Got about a quart but, unlike buying them, I had to bend over a lot. Big effort. Wonderful result.

pimit2 (Bob)
Next year we'll be up there with you on Mosquito Creek! We're back in SoCal now , but we brought hucks with us in our cooler, and they stayed fresh all the way, packed in ice, so I just had cereal with hucks in it. Probably the only breakfast served today in SoCal with fresh huckleberries!

Old 08-22-2014, 08:25 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,748 times
Wild, sweet huckleberries on our breakfast cereal or mixed in our pancake batter. OMG...

Makes one wonder what the "poor folks" are eating, doesn't it?

pimit2 (Bob)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho