Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 10:27 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,754,492 times

Advertisements

It just occurred to me that I haven't yet seen any this year! Not that I'm complaining, but last year they were so incredibly awful, it's a nice change to not have them this year. How about you all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 10:44 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,280,067 times
Better by far this year and I attribute it to my zero tolerance policy in the spring!

Old 08-11-2014, 10:48 PM

159 posts, read 354,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
It just occurred to me that I haven't yet seen any this year! Not that I'm complaining, but last year they were so incredibly awful, it's a nice change to not have them this year. How about you all?
No problems here either, not here in town or picking berries up in the mountains.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:21 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,846,422 times
We're seeing some in the West Dufort Valley, but not anywhere like it was last year...

Old 08-12-2014, 09:27 AM

I was stung on the back by a wasp while grilling which I thought was uncalled for.
But compared to last year....I'll take the one sting and not complain.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:37 AM

212 posts, read 309,303 times
I didn't live here last year so I can't compare but during the late spring/early summer there seemed to be a higher population of yellow jackets than I experienced back east. I was expecting it though because of all the forum posts from last year. Now I only see the occasional yellow jacket my garden attracts.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:06 AM

356 posts, read 521,073 times
Default North of Sandpoint

It's been a light yellow jacket year here, as well. In my vaaaaaaast experience () of four summers, the bug population has varied each year, with different populations peaking during different years. So far it has been: lady bugs, stink bugs, yellow jackets, and this year, bald-faced hornets . (Thankfully, their "peak" has been less peaky than the others and we bombed the bejeepers out of any nests we found, but still...we were quite unhappy at the beginning of summer before things were gotten under control.)

Old 08-12-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionFamily View Post
It's been a light yellow jacket year here, as well. In my vaaaaaaast experience () of four summers, the bug population has varied each year, with different populations peaking during different years. So far it has been: lady bugs, stink bugs, yellow jackets, and this year, bald-faced hornets . (Thankfully, their "peak" has been less peaky than the others and we bombed the bejeepers out of any nests we found, but still...we were quite unhappy at the beginning of summer before things were gotten under control.)
I've not seen very many ladybugs but the stinkbugs are always prolific here in the fall. Yuck.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:45 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I was stung on the back by a wasp while grilling which I thought was uncalled for.
But compared to last year....I'll take the one sting and not complain.
All wasps have very bad manners.

Bees are much more civilized; I've been stung by bees, but there was always a reason why I was stung. I believe wasps, barbarians, every single one of them, like to sting for the fun of it.

It aways pays to be on the watch for yellow jackets when riding horse. They will nest close to the ground, and I've been bucked off a couple of times when a horse riled them up from just walking close to the nest. For some reason, the yellow jackets always goes for a horse's belly and privates, and even the best horse can blow up under the circumstances. And they are persistent as all get-outs.

My poor bro got bucked off once and landed on the nest! He was stung over 30 times! When my Dad was a kid, he got swarmed by hornets while riding bareback.
He jumped the horse into a nearby creek that was deep enough to cover the horse, but the horse could still stand on the bottom. Both of them ducked and held their breath for over an hour before the yellow jackets finally gave up on them. The hornets stung both of them on the tops of their heads several times.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
All wasps have very bad manners.

Bees are much more civilized; I've been stung by bees, but there was always a reason why I was stung. I believe wasps, barbarians, every single one of them, like to sting for the fun of it.

It aways pays to be on the watch for yellow jackets when riding horse. They will nest close to the ground, and I've been bucked off a couple of times when a horse riled them up from just walking close to the nest. For some reason, the yellow jackets always goes for a horse's belly and privates, and even the best horse can blow up under the circumstances. And they are persistent as all get-outs.

My poor bro got bucked off once and landed on the nest! He was stung over 30 times! When my Dad was a kid, he got swarmed by hornets while riding bareback.
He jumped the horse into a nearby creek that was deep enough to cover the horse, but the horse could still stand on the bottom. Both of them ducked and held their breath for over an hour before the yellow jackets finally gave up on them. The hornets stung both of them on the tops of their heads several times.

I've been bucked off into a nasty patch of prickly pear before but I think I'll forego the honor of landing in a yellowjackets nest. That's out of my paygrade.

As it is, every single ache and pain in my body is horse related. I'm just thankful I've steered clear of cows in my lifetime. I've heard they give you a whole different assortment of owies to carry into old age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho