Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2014, 10:56 AM

35 posts, read 57,679 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are retired and thinking about moving to the CdA area for the lakeside living, views, and the fresh beauty of it all. We currently live in Scottsdale, AZ, but until last year lived in the Portland, OR/Camas, WA area. We like the desert beauty where we live in Scottsdale, but aren't wedded to it and are open to new adventures.

We would like to live slightly away from city congestion, but not so far that it's difficult to get to some shopping and other services. We don't want a distant, isolated place to live, but don't want a jammed neighborhood feel by any means either. A house on a lake, with small boat and great views really appeals to us. Rustic style is great. House doesn't need to be huge, just nice. We can't afford a luxury palace on the water, but perhaps something around $400k.

Are there good areas on lakes around CdA where one can experience lakeside living and gorgeous views without needing to be extremely remote?

We would greatly appreciate your input and views on living lakeside in the greater CdA area and would especially appreciate recommendations on best areas to look for houses of the type that I've described and your comments on what it's like living there in winter.

BTW, we are very conservative politically, God-fearing, believe in the value and importance of the constitution and 2nd amendment rights.

I should add that for business purposes, we need good internet access.

Last edited by DHart; 08-09-2014 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 11:02 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,749,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
BTW, we are very conservative politically, God-fearing, believe in the value and importance of the constitution and 2nd amendment rights.
Are you expecting a discount?

Old 08-09-2014, 11:10 AM

Misty... no expectations of that. But discounts are always welcome.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:10 PM

820 posts, read 1,740,886 times
Unfortunately to share with you, your budget will need to go up, or you will need to pick another lake. You could possibly get what you are looking for on Hayden Lake, but on CDA, with decent access, and good internet, 400k will not be enough. :/ With that said, there are some amazing lakes where you could get in around 400k with what you are looking for.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:09 PM

Ok. Thanks for the info.

Sure is beautiful in summer, but I know that doesn't last long. t think winters would probably be too long and dreary for us in this area. It was an interesting idea, while it lasted.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:59 PM

44 posts, read 119,168 times
$400K is enough to be on the lake if you don't need a mansion. Since you're retired and I assume only have 2 people in the household, $400K is enough to get a nice place, 2-3 bedrooms on the water. And good internet is available pretty much anywhere in the county. Even if you're too far out for wired access, there are several WiMax providers that have very good and fast access, although somewhat more costly than wired.

I'd second Hayden Lake. It's far from the congestion, but still close enough to everything when you need it. For $400K you can get some very nice houses with views

Your politics will fit in just fine. The voting patterns for the county are 65/35 Republican typically. The further away from downtown CDA you go, the more conservative you get. I think Idaho has the most lax gun laws in the country.

As for winters....not that bad really. Winter starts late Nov and lasts until mid March. Typically doesn't get extremely cold, but it does stay cloudy for long stretches. On the other hand, the summers are perfect.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:02 AM

294 posts, read 544,928 times
400k may get you some sort of view of a lake. I doubt that it would be much of a structure if it was ON a lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho