Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 12:40 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,477,534 times

Advertisements

I keep watching for someone to post about the Rise Up Encampment gathering last week of more than 10K Boy Scouts and their leaders. Not many Scouts from N. Idaho were present, although a few were. Most of the scouts were from western, southern and eastern Idaho as well as s. MT and western WY.

This was at the peak of 100+ temps.

I started this thread so others could check to see if Scouts in your area attended, recognize the hundreds of leaders/parents who volunteered their time and to make sure when you read about Camp Encounter you understand the work done to transform the rocky, dry land west of Firth and Shelley was totally transformed into a lush green area. That transformation allowed camping, activities and more that would have been impossible with the Lava covered area with the experts the BSA secured to work on this project.

As one leader said, most of the boys won't be able to attend a national Jamboree; this will be their memory of scouting that few experienced.

Here is one post about it. I hope you'll check your local media to learn more about the scouts and leaders from your area. Please post any articles or news you can.

I congratulate the parents, leaders and those who transformed the Lava-rocky area into the grassy green play land it became.

This thread is strictly about the Rise Up Encampment experience. If you have negative comments about the scouts etc. don't post because you're not at the right thread. This is to appreciate what determined adults and Scouts made possible for over 10,000 campers.

If the right people can change an area like this for Scouts, who knows what other groups might do the same in the future?

Enjoy!

Rush - Dallas, TX - November 28, 2012 - The Body Electric - YouTube.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 05:39 PM

Cool, an extra RUSH vids which got misplaced here. Sorry

I hadn't seen this article before today. It's kind of interesting to read about security issues and the broken bones etc. 2013 Rise Up Encampment for Scouts concludes Sunday - 2013 Rise Up Encampment for Scouts concludes Sunday: Members

MSR

Old 07-04-2013, 05:48 PM

Here's one of the early pieces, unfortunately, most of the detailed info was printed. Hopefully, other media covered this so more of the details can be shared. This was a massive project to transform the lavas into greenery it was.
Boy Scout encampment prepares for 10,500 people | Video - Home

MSR

Old 07-04-2013, 05:58 PM

This article tells more in detail and has pics of grass where Lava ruled. Two years of planning, so much work and volunteered hrs. for the Scouts. Impressive to me! 10,000+ expected at Scout Encampment | Blackfoot Morning News

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho