Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 04:06 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lyin' King View Post
Is anyone willing to say how bad it really is around these parts?
I must be either really, really dumb, stupid, or ignorant. I've wandered a lot in my short time here in NID, and the closest encounter I've ever had with the drug culture was reading about someone in the newspaper either being busted or sentenced.

Just haven't seen evidence of it. Keep hearing about the "problem", but haven't personally seen it. Maybe it is like a lot of things. If you look for it, you'll find it. If you dress and act a certain way, I guess they will find you. If you mind your own business and do your own thing, nobody will bother you. I don't know.

As to carrying . . . I certainly would, and do. Mostly for defense against four-legged critters. Hopefully, when I'm wandering about in the hills, I'm making enough noise that they leave me alone or head the opposite direction. Open carry is legal, and it is now legal to carry concealed without a license. You just never know who carries and who does not. As such, only the most stupid of people would do anything to violate the rights and property of another. (Just don't try to take anything across the border.)

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 04:22 PM

57 posts, read 73,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I must be either really, really dumb, stupid, or ignorant. I've wandered a lot in my short time here in NID, and the closest encounter I've ever had with the drug culture was reading about someone in the newspaper either being busted or sentenced.

Just haven't seen evidence of it. Keep hearing about the "problem", but haven't personally seen it. Maybe it is like a lot of things. If you look for it, you'll find it. If you dress and act a certain way, I guess they will find you. If you mind your own business and do your own thing, nobody will bother you. I don't know.

As to carrying . . . I certainly would, and do. Mostly for defense against four-legged critters. Hopefully, when I'm wandering about in the hills, I'm making enough noise that they leave me alone or head the opposite direction. Open carry is legal, and it is now legal to carry concealed without a license. You just never know who carries and who does not. As such, only the most stupid of people would do anything to violate the rights and property of another. (Just don't try to take anything across the border.)
I'll let you be the judge of what shoe fits you and offer a simple Google search . . .

https://www.google.com/search?source...30.LA0yMvNRmDc

Old 02-15-2019, 04:44 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,138 times
Like Volosong, I have not had any direct encounters with the drug culture during the nearly 3 years we've lived in Sagle. I have no doubt illegal drugs are around, just as they are almost anywhere these days. But, based on my observations, it's not so prevalent that you're going to run into it frequently.

Last time I looked property crime rates in NID were about average when stacked up against the U.S. overall, which I think is high given the character of the area. I suspect that has something to do with drugs, as well as something to do with the relatively high proportion of homes that are not occupied full time. IDK how much of that is home grown here in NID vs. coming across the border from WA, or even perhaps from Lincoln county in MT.

Before we settled on NID we were considering a few locations in MT, and in the course of our travels there had an interesting conversation with a grocery store manager in Troy. He told us not a week goes by that he doesn't have to deal with some druggie causing an issue in his store. OTOH, we have friends who live in the Yaak who do most of their shopping in Troy, and they don't seem to think it's a big issue.

Back to NID, IMO it's not a large enough problem that it would stop me from considering living here, and certainly not enough of an issue to cause me to move.

Dave

Old 02-15-2019, 05:03 PM

Thank you Dave, the facts speak for themselves.

I'm a boomer and Veteran who has seen and lived it all. I can cite the horrific news headlines of the day which recount losses of loved ones to the drug scourge of the 60's, movies were made of a few . . . nuff said.

Here, this is three days old . . . get an education nobody wants!

http://oridhidta.org/news/

Last edited by The Lyin' King; 02-15-2019 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 02-15-2019, 05:28 PM

332 posts, read 482,785 times
Quote:
Thank you Dave, the facts speak for themselves.

I'm a boomer and Veteran who has seen and lived it all. I can cite the horrific news headlines of the day which recount losses of loved ones to the drug scourge of the 60's, movies were made of a few . . . nuff said.
I'm not going to argue with "facts", primarily because studies and analysis are not the terrain.

I live in Boundary County, and I can tell you I have seen meth heads, and even know of a meth dealer living nearby. So does local law enforcement. So do the neighbors. Communities this small regulate themselves in ways that are not advertised and are not quantified by raw analysis.

Suffice it to say if you want to see how "bad" it is, then do the due diligence like a lot of transplants like myself, and put your boots on the ground. Talk to the locals and evaluate for yourself if this is the area for you or not.

No place is perfect - every paradise has its skeletons.

Last edited by aiden_is; 02-15-2019 at 05:37 PM..

Old 02-15-2019, 06:01 PM

WHAT???

So fill in the blank here, is said meth dealer still poisoning people or doing time?

I'm a Veteran who has had and still has "boots on the ground", I assure you I'm well grounded.

Skeletons of meth dealers and users, that's paradise!!

It's skeletons of loved ones or your own that are problematic as I see it!!!

Living in blissful ignorance is not PARADISE!!!!

Old 02-15-2019, 09:19 PM

332 posts, read 482,785 times
Best of luck in your search.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden_is View Post
Best of luck in your search.
Best of poor choices for you!

https://www.google.com/search?q=with...w=1366&bih=557

Old 02-17-2019, 12:16 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
Quote:
Ok. People are trying to help you out with their experiences which is what you came here for right? There are seedy folks in just about every community and there will be those that seek them out. Forum members who do not have teenagers in school may not be aware how prevalent medication stealing or getting high actually is in their town. I have lived in communities in the hills and elsewhere in California and there are communities with full on meth labs down the road from million dollar homes. The cops know who they are and bust them when they can. It is no different here other than the dollar figure for the homes. Unless someone has a loved one involved in this problem or work in the medical/law enforcement field, then they are not likely to know about it. You have to decide if the community is for you. Moyie is known for its meth problem and Sandpoint is too hippy for me. We all make compromises to find something that works and no place is perfect.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Ok. People are trying to help you out with their experiences which is what you came here for right? There are seedy folks in just about every community and there will be those that seek them out. Forum members who do not have teenagers in school may not be aware how prevalent medication stealing or getting high actually is in their town. I have lived in communities in the hills and elsewhere in California and there are communities with full on meth labs down the road from million dollar homes. The cops know who they are and bust them when they can. It is no different here other than the dollar figure for the homes. Unless someone has a loved one involved in this problem or work in the medical/law enforcement field, then they are not likely to know about it. You have to decide if the community is for you. Moyie is known for its meth problem and Sandpoint is too hippy for me. We all make compromises to find something that works and no place is perfect.
Actually I wanted facts about the area.

Believe me when I say that I am truly sorry for offending anyone trying to help me!

Without laying down my entire life story first, complete strangers wouldn't know anything about me and still won't.

That said, it sickened me to hear someone in the conversation say they and their neighbors knew of a Meth dealer yet didn't report the person to Law Enforcement.

Our children and communities are too important to allow that krap to flourish unabated.

The four minute video on the main drag that I posted was my wake up call. The independent motorcyclists filming inadvertently captured video of 1% motorcycle club members the entire four minutes.

That's where your Meth problem is coming from!!!

I forgot to mention I was an independent biker before and after serving our once "Great Nation".

Idaho has a dual problem, cartel and 1%ers!

Idaho is just along the route from WA and OR to the Bitter Root Valley of Montana for Cartel members or the problem would be MUCH WORSE. From MT they continue on to the Dakota and beyond

You hear all of this speculation about how the drugs get in. Much of the stuff that isn't proudly "Made in the USA" is drop shipped into private air strips dotting our Nation and then ground shipped more efficiently than Amazon junk from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho