Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 01:24 PM

314 posts, read 487,038 times

Advertisements

After living in the region just over a year and a half now...here's an overview.

Lewiston is very manufacturing friendly, and like most of Idaho, is very conservative. It is generally a safe city and I enjoyed living there in the summer and fall of 2020. You do get used to the smell. Folks are friendly, considering the size of the city. Lots of jobs at the plant / factories there. St Joe's is a major medical care hospital and have many specialties and fine quality from what I hear but they are also known for being expensive. Catalyst is a good option for urgent/primary care as well. Lewis-Clark State college is affordable and a good place to attend if you want to teach or learn nursing/dental assisting. They also offer lower division courses (community college level) though their bread and butter is 4 year courses.

Clarkston (on the WA side): I personally don't care for most of Clarkston or at least the main part of town. It is too busy and there are a lot of beggers on the side of the roads. It isn't dangerous but seems a bit more seedy than Lewiston (perhaps due to WA vs ID but I can't say for sure). Too much traffic and very much a big box town. However Clarkston has some quiet country parts which are nice. I have never been to Tri-State Hospital but I have heard mostly positive things and that they can be cheaper than St Joe's but again your coverage and insurance can also factor in on cost. LC-state gives a tuition discount to residents of Asotin County. Clarkston does have a branch campus of Walla Walla Community college if you want to get your AA/AS.

Asotin is also on the WA side and from what I hear and I have seen, it is the more expensive place on the WA side as it is much less seedy than Clarkston, homes overlook the river, and you have a real country /small town feel but only 10-15 mins from employment centers. Homes there are on the pricier side.

Moscow...I absolutely loved this town from the moment I first came out here. I used to live in Davis, CA which reminds me a lot of Moscow except for the winter when it snows here. Lots of bikes, lots of older buildings, a walkable downtown, quieter than Pullman etc. Gritman Medical Center is a fairly large hospital and has a heliport for aircraft to land. There are several medical and dental options there as well. Moscow is more liberal than Idaho as a whole but it doesn't have the bossy in your face attitude that some college towns like Berkeley have. Our goal is to buy a second home in Moscow someday. We also stay at the BW hotel at least 1-3 times a year there. Also Moscow's farmers market is amazing!

Pullman I have not spent as much time in, but have been for Cougar football and the fireworks show in July. Pullman is much more student oriented and a bit more sporty rah-rah than Moscow. I wouldn't mind living there but Moscow is more popular than Pullman it seems. Both Pullman and Moscow have excellent primary and secondary school options plus the universities in their respective towns. Politically, Pullman seems very balanced for a college town. Mostly because it is an Ag school popular in conservative E. WA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2022, 10:30 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Good analysis generally. Both cities have their charms. Pullman has more growing suburban neighborhoods but both still have a small town feel. The economy is almost fully supported by the University’s. These two cities are trying to be more diverse economically but are struggling with that. It is a wonderful area to live, however if you can put up with snow.

Old 01-10-2022, 07:15 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Clarkston has only one big box, Walmart, and of course there is sales tax but I believe Idaho residents are still exempt, but some of this may have changed. Perhaps someone can update.

WA has no state income tax so their sales taxes are high.

If you live near the Oregon border you can save by crossing but it is technically illegal. But very hard to enforce if you pay in cash. However, don’t try this with auto sales, they will catch up with you quickly.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 01-10-2022 at 07:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho