Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 10:44 AM

57 posts, read 73,800 times

Advertisements

The City Council and residents remark was a flippant comment.

I get it! Every basic service a Retiree could desire like minimal Health Care and Grocery are in McCall where St Luke's Medical Center is even expanding.

If it can't be found there, we don't need it.

At least there's a Bank, Post Office, Family Dollar store and several other useful businesses in New Meadows although I can't be certain the list is current.

https://www.b2byellowpages.com/bd/id...directory.html

That Albertsons in McCall is sounding better all the time.

Looks like it's off to McCall for a barber.

The drug and crime links where in reference to the last portion of the following statement (highlighted in bold) "Crime rate looks to be below average for ID... and ID is very low in the USA."

The links were not in reference to Adams or Valley County.

Seriously, thank you for your input nm9stheham!

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 12:56 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,489,340 times
I can relate... most every place we are looking at is a 25 miniute minimum to well over an hour drive to things like a large grocery store or hospital. If you want to be out where it is quiet....I mean reeeealy quiet; that's where you go. The closer you get to such amenities, the busier it usually gets.

Then you start to think about if you eventually go to sell on a fixed retirement income and no youth left to return to work, can you get your money back out of it? With the prices being a bit low in areas like New Meadows, that part is good. But the old crystal ball does not do a good job of saying what the local real estate market will be 5 or 10 years down the road. So do you stick with a more solid market and pay a higher price now and give up the quietness to get a more assured resale situation, or take the plunge? A hard call..... at least for me.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:05 PM

Yes, I too can relate!

We had it all for a quarter century and lost it to a fire. My expectations are no greater then that which we previously enjoyed.

In fact, I've already compromised much of that at times in my quest.

Just visiting that tourist pit of McCall to resupply would represent too much of a compromise for me.

We've known that Payette Lake had pollution problems for 55 years yet nothing has been done about it.

As you might imagine, it has not healed itself. I'm into fishing but wouldn't touch that lake or any fish taken from it.

https://www.deq.idaho.gov/media/4339..._lake_1964.pdf

Of course a 1977 EPA report said it was just fine.

https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyNET.exe/...es=1&ZyEntry=2

It wasn't then and sure as heck isn't now!

Beautiful Payette Lake, Idaho is high in Mercury. Careful eating those fish! | The Wildlife News

I'm use to crystal clear lakes and clean well water that requires absolutely no treatment, not even a cheesy inline cartridge type sediment filter.

All I'm trying to do now is find something remotely similar while still hoping to run across the analog of it.

After four years of searching I'm convinced it doesn't exist.

Best wishes to you in your quest!!

Bob

Old 08-26-2019, 03:12 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,808,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lyin' King View Post
Just visiting that tourist pit of McCall to resupply would represent too much of a compromise for me.
McCall is definitely way touristy. Was just driving through there recently. Upscale/yuppie tourist area and very crowded.
Quote:
I'm use to crystal clear lakes and clean well water that requires absolutely no treatment, not even a cheesy inline cartridge type sediment filter. All I'm trying to do now is find something remotely similar while still hoping to run across the analog of it. After four years of searching I'm convinced it doesn't exist.
Are you sure it doesn't exist anywhere in Idaho? What about the areas closest to the two large wildernesses (Selway-Bitterroot and Frank Church)? There are some real remote areas out there.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:32 PM

Was on Bonners Ferry (not the tourist Meth Meca of Sand Point) until the recent habituated Grizzly Alert, no cans out until moments prior to pickup, no food scents (Bye-Bye BBQ), everything with a scent concrete bunkered and electric fenced . . . to heck with that!!!

We lived with Mountain Lion, Black Bear and Wild Boar that escaped and thrived outside the "Hunting Preserve" some idiot set up.

Did it for 25 years with no problem while morons walking their dogs at dawn and dusk were loosing them hand over fist to the top predator Mountain Lions.

A careless neighbor with whom we shared a property line left bird seed uncovered in a 50 gallon drum, result, habituated Black Bear!

Raided our regular "put it out for pick up" trash can and marked it's spot at a game trail head 50' away the following day to show it's ownership of the "trail and to express displeasure with the cuisine.

I left the junk where dumped and hosed it down with beer I manually recycled daily hence marking my spot!

Bought a $250 Bear Saver Grizzle Proof trash can, that stopped the successful raiding. The Bear knocked the can all over our dirt road to no avail for quite some time and then frustrated as all get out reluctantly moved on to greener pastures.

This was in the era of "Waste Reclamation Technicians" who road on the back of the Reclamation Truck dumping cans by man power whom I schooled in the methodology of opening the can and all was well but time marched on.

Soon the Technicians were unemployed replaced by the modern pickup arm which made our expensive can extinct. They entertained it manually for a while but soon served notice.

Took my neighbor to school years prior, Bear gone to greener pastures we were fine for several years on the new cans and pickup method . . . enter fire!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho