Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 03:08 AM

16 posts, read 30,465 times

Advertisements

Hard to believe that Moyie Springs or St. Maries has become an employment Mecca!

There are a lot of divided families up here, half of them in North Dakota, and the other half trying to keep their places here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 08:22 AM

349 posts, read 1,042,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Cool beans, jadbad2004. I had a job interview there in the summer of 2011 but didn't get the gig. I have one in Salmon, of all places, on Monday though.
Best of luck to you, it is a beautiful area and tons to do outdoors, a great community. Let me know how it goes I can hook you up with a great landlord!

Old 01-10-2012, 09:16 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,534,402 times
jadbad, the prices seem low, for instance, we got the paper and there were at least 3 house rentals for only $450 month/+ $400 deposit. Not bad. I may be gettin' back to ya on that offer. Yes, I come away this morning with a good feeling about the potential job and the town. Did you ever see Big Hole National Battlefield area up at Lost Trail Pass, jadbad2004?

My wife and I chose to just keeping driving past it this time but I will need to go back and read up and enjoy the history. It's rich in history with Lewis and Clark and Sacajawea (I discussed said woman to the hilt with the hotel propreitor at the Sacajawea Motel night before last!) and such and I do find that aspect fascinating about the place. Very remote town.

Missoula lies 150 miles to the north, Butte 160 miles northeast and Idaho Falls lies 162 miles to the east. This is indeed that "inner" middle area to the east in Idaho that has the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness Area to the west of it, which is the largest wilderness area in the contiguous lower 48 states. Several million acres of pure unadulterated wilderness.

Last edited by elkotronics; 01-10-2012 at 09:25 AM..

Old 01-10-2012, 11:13 AM

We did drive by the site going to Butte a few years ago, but did not stop. The locals in Salmon make jokes about the Lewis and Clark signs that are all over Lemhi county, but the history there is fascinating. The lower rentals are usually on the rough side or with landlords that do not fix the problems. We always had great experiences with Evans House Rentals, the paper comes out once a week on Thursday which is the best place to find rentals. Good luck to you!

Old 01-10-2012, 11:45 PM

jadbad2004-thanks for that advice regarding Evans House Rentals. No, you're right, we don't want low price if that means a total dump. Or a rental where the landlord deserts you when there's trouble. No thanks. So we'll be careful about that.

Sure like the area and town, though, and even Lost Trail Pass looks gorgeous. If I get the job I'll be sure and go by Big Hole National Battlefield to read up...I'm one of those people that pull off the road to read all those "Historical Points" signs! Absolutely love 'em!

Hope you guys are diggin' your new abode over in Saint Mary's as well!

Old 01-11-2012, 07:23 PM

I am still adjusting to St Maries, but I know anywhere in Idaho I would like only because the people are great in this state, looking forward to all the lakes and being so close to Clarkia, the hubby loves panning for garnets down there lol. When we wanted to do shopping and did not want the 3 hour drive to IF, we drove over the hill (Lost Trail) to Hamilton which is only an hour and a half, if you do hit up Naps, it's a great diner with huge burgers.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:20 PM

Thanks for that, jadbad2004. We're still waiting to hear from the Salmon job. Should know Thu. or by Fri. for sure.

Hey, have you ever been to the Hobo Cedar Grove Botanical site over by Clarkia? Unbelievably tall cedar trees that are really old and gorgeous. You drive to Clarkia, go past the school, down the road and turn left on a logging road, up the hill about ten miles. You follow the logging roads to it. There's a place to barbecue once you get there. Cold to go there now but we went in August I believe, it was very warm that day, sunny and beautiful. Idaho is chock-full of gorgeous treasures all over it!

Old 01-11-2012, 10:21 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,886,890 times
That grove is gorgeous. There is also a really cool fossil dig in Clarkia.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:56 AM

I must study up on Clarkia, seems more there than I thought.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:53 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,886,890 times
Not much to study. Clarkia has:
1. Idaho Star Garnet dig.
2. Fossil dig.
3. Hobo Cedar Grove.
4. Lots (and lots) of camping areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho