Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2011, 12:46 PM

7 posts, read 11,196 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! What is the IT job scene like in north Idaho? Are there companies hiring? What about starting a computer technician business in, say, Coeur d’Alene or Post Falls or Sandpoint? Would a business like this do well in these areas or is this available already? Would a new business bring nwanted competition to existing businesses? Or would Boise be a more likely spot to be in IT? Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 02:51 PM

382 posts, read 1,033,079 times
My girlfriend works at a it type place and she got 800 resumes for one position. Their are some computer repair places here. Not sure how well they are doing though. Spokane may be a better bet. But I read in the paper that they are not doing as well as they would like. Boise may be a better choice...

Old 03-19-2011, 03:06 PM

ejay,

800 resumes for one open position? That's insane! Wow, that's what I call competition for a job.

Is north Idaho like that for all jobs? I was under the impression that north Idaho was doing pretty well economically. Am I off base in my thinking?

Is Spokane really that depressed? I understand a lot of north Idahoans shop in Spokane for stuff they cannot get in north Idaho. What can't one get in north Idaho besides maybe high-end cars or warranty work?

The job situation is bad everywhere. One of the reasons I am considering Idaho is because it appears to be doing better than most places.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:07 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,171 times
Zamzow the pet/garden store had 1 position and got 350 resumes...times are tough and pickin's are slim.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:04 PM

That's insane amount of resumes for one job. I didn't think the economy was THAT bad...

What's the overall economy for any job up in north Idaho?

Old 03-19-2011, 07:20 PM

863 posts, read 2,992,832 times
I can't speak for N Id, but times are very tough in S Id. Been here for over 20 years, it's ALWAYS been that way, lately WORSE. ID is a fantastic place, but employment has ALWAYS been challenging. I don't know where you heard that jobs were better in Idaho, but maybe someone should recheck their facts.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:39 AM

382 posts, read 1,033,079 times
As far as I can tell jobs around here suck right now. Their is a lot of people coming up here from out of state with degrees. And they are working for less. If you wanna live up here you have to live on the cheap. And I mean cheap. My power bill has went up 80% more than it was 16 years ago. You used to be able to live here on the cheap. It is just not like that anymore. Check out craigs list in Spokane. It is combined with North Idaho. That will give you an idea of what s out there. And I will be honest with you because I don't want you getting pie in the sky dreams of this place. Most people we have known have gotten up here and they find out how poorly employers treat you here. You could get here and then months later be out of work. Self employment is the only way to work around here. If you can build a customer base your okay. You also have to know that the other guys that are here have already done that. So for the first year or so you will be getting your name out there. But I can also tell you that some give poor service and don't care. Eventually some one comes along and gives them some competition. Maybe it's you. Really look into North Idaho carefully before you decide on this place. It looks nice but it can drain all your cash and keep your dreams. As you go back to where you came....

Old 03-20-2011, 12:07 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
I know of many, many IT people up here from Coldwater Creek alone, who came here to work there, got laid off or couldn't stand CC but loved the area and ended up staying and changing careers and making less money to stay here. When IT jobs come along, there are a lot of people already waiting for them. Not a good time or a good place if you want to stay in IT.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:29 PM

I appreciate the info, guys/gals!

It looks like Idaho might not be the best place for me right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho