Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 01:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,029 times

Advertisements

I think the responses you get are from people like myself that live in these areas, so we will naturally point out the things we like about our area. I have lived in Boise, Twin Falls, Idaho Falls, for climate, Boise has the best, in the winter, with Twin Falls a close second if you don't like snow, Idaho Falls has quite a bit more snow, Boise does get a winter inversion that I did not see in Twin Falls or Idaho Falls, Boise also gets a lot of fog in the winter, where Twin Falls gets very little. As for shopping, they are all good, all have malls, etc, all three are growing, and have a thriving economic base. Boise Metropolitian area is about 600,000, Idaho Falls is about 116,000 and Twin Falls Micropolitian area is about 93,000. Recreation is good in all three areas, this is Idaho after all, snow skiing is close at hand in all three communities with Bogus Basin near Boise, Magic Mountain and Pomeralle near Twin Falls, and Taragee near Idaho Falls. Twin Falls is also closest to World Famous Sun Valley. All three communities also has higher education, Boise has a University, Twin Falls has a Junior College and Idaho Falls has a tech college. As someone said earlier, visit each, they all have strong points. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,008 times
I like Idaho very much but I wasn't born there . Born in San Jose , California , in Northern California . Planning to move in Idaho soon . No, I'm not a [mod cut] Democrats but a conservative Republican instead . I'm a retired senior and a U.S. Air Force veteran (33 years / Viet Nam vet. ) In sports, I love the Los Angeles Dodgers and the San Francisco 49ers , hope I didn't scare any Seahawks fans out there . I'm staying with them, regardless . Planning to visit Twin Falls and Idaho Falls, in June. Snow doesn't scare me at all , since during my time with the Air Force, I was station at Wyoming. I do have family in the Boise area. In faith, I'm not a member of the LDS but a member of the Roman Catholic faith. Not going to convert to LDS, at all. Very open to all faiths. Lastly, all I will say to our sport fans, is let go " D O D G E R S and 49ers "

Last edited by volosong; 03-12-2020 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: derogatory adjactives unnessary

Old 03-12-2020, 12:21 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
I dealt with living in Salt Lake City for 24 years and finally got OUT of there 2 years ago. We built in a rural area about a half hour West of Twin Falls. All 3 of the areas you've mentioned have their good and not so good aspects. I felt Twin Falls as a town to commute to for us, was a good compromise. I don't like excessive snow so Idaho Falls was out. The hospital in Twin Falls (St. Lukes) is quite competent and offers all one would typically require. The most advanced hospital in all of Idaho is St. Alphonsus in Boise. They do all the seriously advanced heart and such types of surgeries. But most is also done in the other two cities hospitals.

Shopping is obviously greatest in a large city such as Boise, but frankly there isn't anything I've wanted I couldn't get in Twin Falls. Clothes, food, autos and a good number of specialty (cheese, cooking items, crafts and more) have been available. I personally wanted to NOT be IN a city. So Boise was out to be sure. Also their housing there is considerably more expensive then Twin Falls. Even Idaho Falls has been rising quite a bit. $200k-$250k can easily get you a new built 3br 2 ba 2 car garage home in our area. Not so in Boise nor likely in Idaho Falls. For education CSI is in Twin Falls with a good reputation. We have a BestBuy of course so if you need a TV, Computer, Phone or whatever electronic it's there. The usual Lowe's, Home Depot and some local specialty places are also in Twin. Plenty of places to eat that's for sure.

We have a Texas Roadhouse coming to town. Just a quick list of our restaurants includes Olive Garden, 5 Guys, Golden Corral, Johnny Carino's, Jakers, Jack N The Box, Outback, Perkins, Shari's, Sonic. But there are a TON of individual Breakfast and Dinner restaurants that have been around for over 50 years that have great reputations for country style quality. We are also a huge farming area, so in the nicer months there is a plethora of fresh veggies and fruits from local farmers available which is a treat. Some of the finest corn and melons on the planet This year in the Twin Falls area we might have had a total of maybe 8 inches of snow. A far cry from what I was used to and can live with that nicely. If you like lots of traffic and rush hour stop and go Boise is the place. For me you can have that. Never want it again. Twin's idea of a rush hour is taking 10 minutes to go across town to hit the interstate. The town I live in doesn't even have a stop light. You're in and out of it one end to the other in about 3 minutes. So you can indeed pick and choose what you're looking for or what your priorities are quite easily in your case.

Old 03-12-2020, 10:49 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,353,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I dealt with living in Salt Lake City for 24 years and finally got OUT of there 2 years ago. We built in a rural area about a half hour West of Twin Falls. All 3 of the areas you've mentioned have their good and not so good aspects. I felt Twin Falls as a town to commute to for us, was a good compromise. I don't like excessive snow so Idaho Falls was out. The hospital in Twin Falls (St. Lukes) is quite competent and offers all one would typically require. The most advanced hospital in all of Idaho is St. Alphonsus in Boise. They do all the seriously advanced heart and such types of surgeries. But most is also done in the other two cities hospitals.

Shopping is obviously greatest in a large city such as Boise, but frankly there isn't anything I've wanted I couldn't get in Twin Falls. Clothes, food, autos and a good number of specialty (cheese, cooking items, crafts and more) have been available. I personally wanted to NOT be IN a city. So Boise was out to be sure. Also their housing there is considerably more expensive then Twin Falls. Even Idaho Falls has been rising quite a bit. $200k-$250k can easily get you a new built 3br 2 ba 2 car garage home in our area. Not so in Boise nor likely in Idaho Falls. For education CSI is in Twin Falls with a good reputation. We have a BestBuy of course so if you need a TV, Computer, Phone or whatever electronic it's there. The usual Lowe's, Home Depot and some local specialty places are also in Twin. Plenty of places to eat that's for sure.

We have a Texas Roadhouse coming to town. Just a quick list of our restaurants includes Olive Garden, 5 Guys, Golden Corral, Johnny Carino's, Jakers, Jack N The Box, Outback, Perkins, Shari's, Sonic. But there are a TON of individual Breakfast and Dinner restaurants that have been around for over 50 years that have great reputations for country style quality. We are also a huge farming area, so in the nicer months there is a plethora of fresh veggies and fruits from local farmers available which is a treat. Some of the finest corn and melons on the planet This year in the Twin Falls area we might have had a total of maybe 8 inches of snow. A far cry from what I was used to and can live with that nicely. If you like lots of traffic and rush hour stop and go Boise is the place. For me you can have that. Never want it again. Twin's idea of a rush hour is taking 10 minutes to go across town to hit the interstate. The town I live in doesn't even have a stop light. You're in and out of it one end to the other in about 3 minutes. So you can indeed pick and choose what you're looking for or what your priorities are quite easily in your case.
Thanks for the info on Twin Falls. It just confirms that's where I want to live in Idaho.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:14 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times
All of above: they're all good

Old 03-13-2020, 08:45 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times
We lived in Twin Falls for about a year and a half when I attended the College of Southern Idaho. I distinctly remember the spring summer and early fall being pretty nice but the winters were very cold, dipping down to 20 below at times. We moved there September 1st 1978. It snowed the day we moved in. Beautiful place though.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:03 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
We lived in Twin Falls for about a year and a half when I attended the College of Southern Idaho. I distinctly remember the spring summer and early fall being pretty nice but the winters were very cold, dipping down to 20 below at times. We moved there September 1st 1978. It snowed the day we moved in. Beautiful place though.
LOL that's pretty weird. Twin didn't get below the upper 20's this year. Guess it's that global warming eh

Old 04-20-2020, 08:01 PM

29 posts, read 18,580 times
I have been in Idaho for way too long!
Haha
I want to go somewhere warm like TX or AZ.
Some day...

Anyways, Boise is so much better than Idaho Falls.... especially for a teenager.
A bustling metropolis has more culture, cuisine, & entertainment than this place.

The only reason I am here in IF, is because I work for the Idaho National Lab.
Great job but... I too cannot stand the winters & cold!
Way colder than I want... & summer is pretty much nonexistent.
Not many warm months here so keep that in mind.
If that is a concern... move to Boise instead.
More mild winters & longer spring/summer than here for sure!

Also, the religious dominance in this region is pretty exhausting!
Not very accepting from my personal experience.

Anyways, this small town feel is not for everyone.
Boise is my pick with a great college.

As stated previously, definitely go visit these areas for yourself.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:05 PM

130 posts, read 213,576 times
I am trying to move out of Colorado because of the influx of liberal people here and the cold/snow. There aren't a whole lot of options other than super humid east or dry expensive west. Is Idaho as cold as the front range of colorado? Winter here is just so long Oct-May

Last edited by saranshay; 05-07-2020 at 01:56 PM..

Old 05-07-2020, 02:27 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Yup. Winter. Snow. Cold.

The next stop north from Idaho is Canada. You can't expect nice tropical weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho