Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 05:02 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,669,443 times

Advertisements

I just returned from a rather lengthy roadtrip that included Interstates and Highways.

A couple of observations. The Interstates can literally put you to sleep with their "sameness". However, with most western states allowing 75 MPH (effectively 80), it is nice to get to your destination quickly.

The highways are much more interesting. Yes, you have to slow down frequently for towns, but just passing through the towns can quite be quite fascinating in itself (if you have the time), seeing things you just won't see from the Interstate. Plus, most states have built frequent passing lanes on many stretches.

As an aside, if you ever happen to be driving in New Mexico, take the business route off I-40 in Tucumcari for a fascinating look at old Route 66...much of the original architecture is still there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 01:53 PM

777 posts, read 3,198,098 times
OK we're leaving in about 20 minutes. Will be in Northern Ca till Sunday then be heading to Post Falls. Should be in PF Sunday night. Will go visit Pacalady on Monday, then go see a realtor on Tuesday, to look around.

Can't wait to get there Have my radar detector, and police scanner all dialed in:d

Old 07-23-2007, 02:27 AM

33 posts, read 182,916 times
Um, take the Freeway to Spokane, and get on US 95 as late as possible. It is a horrid road, all the way through Idaho. From Cd'A, head north on US95...and at Sandpoint go West on US2...and when you get to Priest River, get on ID41 and drive thru back to Post Falls. Bonner's Ferry isn't really that interesting. Go to the Cataldo Mission (Idaho's oldest building, and in Kootenai county) and the mining towns in Shoshone county. That is really interesting...parts of the silver valley seem to be stuck in time...like Murray and the P-------- (forgot the name) town. Anyways, enjoy Idaho...and spend lots of money!!!

Old 09-22-2021, 09:32 PM

Wow!!! It's been 14 years, since we made this trip, and now ID is calling my name again!!!
Since we made this trip in 2007, we eventually moved to Wyoming in 2010 for my job with the railroad, and lived there for 8 years, and are now in AZ. Well, I'm ready to leave this RR gig, as it's not all it's cracked up to be.

A friend of mine recently moved to Kellogg, and is wanting me to work for the company he works for, so again, I'm looking in the Northern ID region for horse properties. Looks like I'll be taking my weeks vacation in the middle of next month to head up and look around!

Old 09-23-2021, 08:09 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
You can't get there from here.

There is no direct route from South Idaho to North Idaho. You either go around or you wind your way along this and that and get there eventually.

If you are being a tourist, take the scenic route. It takes longer and pay attention so you don't get lost, but if you are going to be here to see Idaho, that is a much better way to see Idaho than driving through Oregon and Washington in order to travel on highways.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:20 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,110,961 times
Coming from Arizona this time you should be able to take I-15 all the way to Butte, MT. Then merge into I-90 and go through Missoula and over Lookout Pass into Idaho. Kellogg will only be a few miles over the pass. There are plenty of interesting side trips along the way if you've got the time. On the way back, go over to CDL and drive south on HWY 95? to Lewiston. Then take HWY 12 along the Clearwater River. Beautiful drive that takes you to Lolo Pass and into Montana, where you pickup I-90 again near Missoula, and then head south back to Arizona.

Old 09-23-2021, 12:12 PM

I guess i shouldn't have re-opened this post..lol
i already made the trip 14 yers ago, not looking for routes, just bringing it up that i'll be heading back next month and hopefully will be moving up there in the near future. Thank you all for the great posts and insights

Old 09-23-2021, 05:28 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,675,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOU-CANT-EAT-SCENERY View Post
I guess i shouldn't have re-opened this post..lol
i already made the trip 14 yers ago, not looking for routes, just bringing it up that i'll be heading back next month and hopefully will be moving up there in the near future. Thank you all for the great posts and insights

Welcome back! Come on over on the Front Porch (which didn't exist in 2007 when you were planning your trip!) and tell us about your moving plans etc.!

Old 09-26-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Welcome back! Come on over on the Front Porch (which didn't exist in 2007 when you were planning your trip!) and tell us about your moving plans etc.!

Thank you!! Where is this "Front porch" you speak of
We'll be heading up in mid October to look around.

Old 09-26-2021, 03:38 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,675,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOU-CANT-EAT-SCENERY View Post
Thank you!! Where is this "Front porch" you speak of
We'll be heading up in mid October to look around.

Right here!
https://www.city-data.com/forum/idah...porch-385.html
It is for everybody, of course, not just for North Idahoans, or about NID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho