Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:49 AM

104 posts, read 485,824 times

Advertisements

I'm another Californian considering the move to the wonderful state of Texas.
Okay, now that the collective groan is over ( ), I figure I'll tell my story...

I'm a 36-year-old guy, married, and have two kids, ages 8 and 12. My wife is 33. We both were raised in the area we live now (give or take a few miles), but are getting tired of the California life... primarily low wages and astronomical housing prices. We're currently in Northern California, in the Sacramento Valley, where it's ungodly hot in the summer (normally 95-110 through June-September), and very wet during the winter. We've also lived in the same house now for nine years (renting from my father), and realize that we'll never be able to afford a home in California (darn real estate bubble!).

Even in our area of the state, a 3-bd/2-ba house in a 'decent' neighborhood is about $350,000 for maybe 1200 sq.ft. Gasoline prices are atrocious, and I think are hoving around the $3.50/gal mark at the moment. I'm also tired of not knowing any of my neighbors (well, except maybe a couple of them) after living in the same neighborhood for 9 years... everybody is so reclusive out here, and don't socialize too much.

I received my bachelor's degree two years ago, and the employment outlook for my area is so bad that I can find nothing in my field, and have had to resort to housing maintenance (a "handyman") and a mechanic's job to bring in some cash. My wife, on the other hand, has been a waitress (or "server" as it's politically correct to call them now) for 15 years give or take, and recently received her Pharmacy Technician certification. However, the employment outlook in that field, in our area, is also not good.

We're looking for something near the coast, since we both love the beach (and so do the kids). The closest property we could afford near the beach in California is something in either Nevada or Arizona... LOL!

Plus the California coast has this crazy way of being fogged-in for most of the summer, which kinda defeats the purpose of living on the coast. Once we realized that it's going to take moving somewhere undesirable (in California) just to afford a house, I began to look out-of-state.

I can honestly say that moving to Texas has never crossed my mind before now, but many things compelled me to look at this state, and the low housing prices just about have me sold. I'm specifically looking at the Galveston area for several reasons. One, is that it's right on the Gulf Coast, which makes our dream of living on the coast a reality. Two, my wife loves the RainForest Cafe (we've visited the one in Anaheim, CA several times on trips to SoCal), and would love to work there.

That brings me to my questions (if you've gotten this far):
1. How is the employment situation on the island? I have my BA in Economics (specifically Environmental Economics, and no, I'm not a "tree hugger" ), my minor in Business Administration, and an Associates Degree in Computer Information Systems. I am however, extremely adaptable and have worked everything from Graphic Design to Mechanics. I'm sure my wife could easiy find food service work, but she would prefer to find something in her new field if it's available.

2. How high are the homeowner's insurance rates for houses on the island? (We're looking in the $150,000 range).

3. Do the summers feel really hot with the excess humidity near (or on) the coast? I live in an area where the summers are like being in a blast furnace, so I don't think I'd mind it too much with the beach close by to cool off, but it's still something to consider.

4. I've been doing research on hurricane activity in the Gulf, and it doesn't look like many have made landfall near the Galveston area historically, but are they a constant threat to the island? Does the sea wall make the residents a bit more confident in their (or their property's) ability to weather the storm?

5. Are there any areas of the island to avoid? I don't mind the traffic too much, or the tourists, but would prefer to live in a bit safer area if one exists in the price range we're looking.

6. How are the utility prices in Texas? In California we tend to conserve electricity because usage up to our (low) baseline estimate is about $0.13 per kwh, but if you go over, it quickly climbs to $0.33/kwh!

I guess those are the biggies right now. I've read all about the high property taxes, but honestly I think that's a wash between Texas and California. I'd rather pay taxes on a real home in Texas than on a cardboard box, on the side of the highway, in California (pretty much all we can afford here).

I didn't ask about the schools, because my kids are currently enrolled at the two worst-performing schools in our district (according to the NCLB 'numbers'), however my daughter is in the G.A.T.E. program and gets straight A's, and my son's grades are also very good. I attribute this to the fact that my wife and I are very active in their education.

Thanks for getting this far, and I appreciate any answers I can get to my questions.

Last edited by graffixjones; 06-04-2007 at 02:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 08:29 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers about Galveston, but I encourage you to look down the coast at Corpus Christi as well. You can get a nice house for $150,000 and probably one a few blocks from the water. I think our electricity rates are about $0.14 per kwh and I haven't heard anything about going over the baseline. I'm not sure about your particular job areas, but there seem to be lots of data base and systems maintenance types of jobs if you do that sort of thing. Gasoline is right at $3/gallon right now, but depending you where you live, you might not have to drive much. I have an old minivan and am spending about $90/mo. on gas right now because I live fairly close to work and my daughter's school. Anyway, I know you weren't asking about CC, but it might fit some of your criteria.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:37 AM

Howdy Marlow,

The primary reason I'm looking in the Galveston area is it's proximity to both Houston and Austin, where Corpus Christi seems to be more of it's own enclave.

Database and systems maintenance is right up my alley, so that's refreshing to know that at least jobs are available on the island, though I wouldn't be apprehensive about having to commute into Houston if I had to.

I'll keep your CC suggestion in mind, though, and I thank you for your reply.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:43 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
The thing that jumps out at me is that you hate the "ungodly hot" summers there in the Sac valley. You might have a problem with the heat and humidity of the Galveston area, and southeast Texas in general. And living right on the gulf coast doesn't really alleviate it much. Maybe only slightly better than Houston. And you don't like the wet winters where you are now? Check out the rainfall averages for the Galveston area. It can really rain there.
Also the crime rates and schools in Galveston are not great, as I recall.
I have lived in Houston and been to Galveston/Texas City a number of times.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:18 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Hi, Graffix!

I will try to help you out a bit on Galveston, I lived there for ~1.5 years recently while working down in Tx City.

My first thing that comes to mind is education. I have no first hand experience in the schools, but they have a pretty rough reputation. I would definitely check it out a bit.

Anyway, on to your numbers.
1) Jobs - again, I was down there with a job, so I did not look. There is a large medical industry in that part of the world, between the Houston medical complex and the UT Galveston medical branch. There are lots of graduating students, but a lot do not look to stay. I would guess that there is potential for work for your wife in her field. As for Serving, you should know that all but a couple of the big restaurants are owned by one guy (Fertido or something), so you will have to play by his rules.

As for you work, I am thinking you would have to head up 45 in toward Houston, if not actually in to it. There just isn't much work in Galveston other than tourism and medical, and most of the other industry is family run and very much knowing the right people. Galveston (imho) is about as close to a 'mob run' city as exists in the US still.

2) Insurance - are you actually finding something in the 150k range that you can live in? There are some very rough neighborhoods and some very good ones, but the prices are set accordingly. Personally, I know nothing about the insurance rates, though.

3) Temperatures - I found that the mornings were oppresively muggy and still, but the afternoons were, relative to the mainland, refreshingly cool. Just a mile or two inland is much hotter.

4) Hurricanes - statistically, Galveston is much better off than, say, FL, which is kind of like a barrier island to the gulf itself. Hurricanes do hit, though. If you live in the city proper, the seawall makes most of the moderate to small ones pretty close to a non-issue. A big one, eh, major disaster, but what are you going to do about it? Just get the hey out of there 48 hours or more ahead of time......

Now, if you live on the 'West' end, there is no seawall. If you are on the gulf side, then hurricanes pose a major threat...not because they knock your house down (althoug they can), but that the storm may 'roll' the beach back and your house will be, literally, on the beach afterward. This results in the state condmening your house and having it demolished (you cannot have a structure on the beach, regardless of who was there first. On the bay side, this is not nearly so much of an isse.

5) Area to live - see #2 and #4, but in generally, there is no zoning on the island, and one neighborhood to the next can vary a lot. The more affordable 'nice' housing (and I am guessing, I did not house hunt) will probably be on the bay side of the west end. There may be some fixer-uppers somewhere in town, but not sure about prices at all.

6) Utilities - not sure in Galveston, I have heard that electricity is expensive in Texas, but personally (in Austin) I pay around $220/month in the worst months (2300 sqft hourse). In Galveston, you will need to run AC almost year round to keep mold out of your house, btw.

Opps, just saw the education comment at the end of your post...ignore my intro .

Old 06-04-2007, 10:38 AM

mrkool,
I think you misunderstood my initial post a bit... I didn't say that I "hate" the ungodly hot summers, per se, just that I'm used to it being very hot, or very wet. It was more of a comparison than a statement of preference.
I guess I should have chosen my adjectives more carefully.
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.

Trainwreck20,
Thank you also for your detailed reply to my questions. I'm one of those "fixer-upper" kind of guys, so I'd have no problem buying a house that needed some help and putting in a lot of sweat equity. That's pretty much what I'm doing now for a job. I've done everything from plumbing to electrical, drywall to roofing, and lots and lots of painting.

We currently live in the 'rougher' part of our town, though it's slowly getting better since we're the last bit of real estate in our area that isn't completely overinflated. Our town is second only to San Diego in terms of housing prices vs. real wages.

Also, while I'd like to have a house overlooking the beach, I'm trying to be realistic in that it would probably be more toward the island center. I wouldn't mind driving a few minutes to get to the beach if I can't live right on it (or across the street from it). I've been looking in the "Avenues" section of the island on the East end as far as property goes, primarily because it's closer to all the amenities the island offers.

Thank you also for your comments on the educational system. I figure if my kids can do well in their current schools, then they should be able to do well no matter where they hit the books. I've also found that although the numbers may say a school is performing poorly, that doesn't necessarily mean the school is a bad one (my kids are living proof).

I mainly worry about gang activity, because I really don't want to lose either of my children to cross-fire or some nut with a score to settle. That's becoming much too prevalent in California, even in our small Sac Valley city of Chico. I know that you can't completely escape it, but it would be nice to minimize their exposure to it as much as possible.

Thank you both again for your replies. I'm definitely getting some good answers to my questions, and I thank you for putting in your time to help me out.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:15 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
dont know anything about galveston, but wanted to mention that there is a Rainforest Cafe right on the beautiful riverwalk in San Antonio!
i hate cities, but i must say, that San Antonio's riverwalk has got to be one of the most beautiful, romantic places i have been to, and i have traveled all around the world!!

Old 06-04-2007, 12:32 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
I mainly worry about gang activity, because I really don't want to lose either of my children to cross-fire or some nut with a score to settle.
I did not experience any gang activity while I was down there, and I rode my bike pretty much everywhere I went on the weekend. I did not see much graffiti, either, that I can recall. Now, there may be gangs and issues related to them, but they were not over the top.

The island definitely has a very different vibe from anywhere else I lived. Most everyone I met on the island feel into about four or five categories.
  • Old Money - been there forever and have a significant family or personal investment in the tourist related industry.
  • Students - UTMB is big there, and I think A&M has a campus there (not sure). Anyway, lots of students and they are easy to spot as 'non-residents'.
  • Slackers - In the truest since of the term. There are more people that just earn enough money to get by than anywhere else I have ever been. Many people are not unemployed, they are underemployed. Lots of people who grew up and never left, or came for a while and never left. The island has been referred to as Galvatraz.
  • Retirees - lots of people who hate the cold. It is funny, but I think that is the sole reason a lot of people are on Galveston.

Taken as a whole, the alcohol consumption per capita here is throught the roof, but almost everyone is a happy drunk. I did not bring up the tourists (you have to just get used to them) or the west-enders (people with vacation homes on the island.

Now, don't get me wrong, I actually really like Galveston .

Old 06-04-2007, 12:36 PM

56 posts, read 206,207 times
Instead of Galveston island, maybe you might like clearlake area of southeast Houston on Galveston bay. It is 15 or so minutes from the beaches and has a great boardwalk nearby. Clearlake is also about 20 minutes from all the cultural attractions of inner 610 Houston and I believe clearlake has good schools. As far as the weather is concerned it will be hot and humid wherever you are in Houston area, but it is not terrible. Best of luck

Old 06-04-2007, 05:26 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I lived in Clear Lake for 10 years. What I liked about it (I was 16-26) was that it was just about central between Galveston and Houston. It takes about 30 minutes either way. Clear Lake has grown a whole lot since then, and you may be able to find work there. Your wife could too. There is Kemah Boardwalk nearby. Clear Lake is also near and around the water, but I wouldn't really recommend it for swimming (as it's on the bay) but LOTS of people Jet Ski, boat (motor and Sail), and fishermen are also located there, so fresh fish is available. The schools are great (I graduated from Clear Lake High). There is also Clear Creek and Clear Brook High school. There are two hospitals there, One in League City and one in Webster. I'm not sure which road system is building through there, but I think my stepdad said it was the Sam Houston Toll Road, so even if you had to commute into Houston for work, that would make it quicker than taking 45. When I lived there, the only "bad" neighborhood anyone ever talked about in Galveston was the projects right after you come over the bridge and before you get to the strand. I don't remember any gang activity going rampant. I had friends that lived there, and it seemed like everyone and their neighbors got along. Can't speak for the schools as I didn't have any connection with them. The worst tourist seasons are Mardi Gras and Dickens on the Strand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston