Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 07:36 PM

4 posts, read 16,128 times

Advertisements

Hey! I'm currently looking for a teaching job in Houston. I'd like to get some feedback about the Cypress-Fairbanks ISD versus Aldine ISD. I do know basic demographics but would love some personal opinions/experiences about either/both school districts. I recently went down to visit Houston and really liked the Midtown area, so I was thinking I would commute from there. I think the drive would only be 15-30 min to anywhere within Aldine, but I don't know about Cy-Fair. Any and all thoughts are appreciated so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 12:06 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,444,743 times
Well that's an easy choice. Cy-Fair is known as one of the biggest and best school districts in the state. Great reputation, great schools, nice areas. FYI, I wouldn't go anywhere near Aldine unless I was armed. As far as Midtown goes, it's a great part of town for young professionals. We lived there for 5 years, its ground-zero for Houston's post-college scene. Lots of fun.

Last edited by Mr. Football; 04-11-2007 at 12:29 AM..

Old 04-11-2007, 01:02 AM

212 posts, read 1,273,117 times
I worked in Cy-Fair for 5 years...Cy-Fair is a wonderful school district. It's a large 95,000+ students, so there are horror stories and wonderful stories...but overall its an above average district to work in or send your children. What grade level are you wanting to teach? Two new high schools are opening in 2008.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:27 AM

4 posts, read 16,128 times
Thank you so much, especially for the heads up about Aldine. Would the commute from Midtown to Cy-Fair be just as doable?

Old 04-11-2007, 09:42 AM

799 posts, read 3,693,017 times
I would never even consider Aldine. Cy fair is an excellent school in a nice area just the opposite of Aldine. I would stay away from Aldine altogether.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTmichigan View Post
Thank you so much, especially for the heads up about Aldine. Would the commute from Midtown to Cy-Fair be just as doable?
Cy-Fair is a very large district so your commute time will vary. A good number of the Highschools are located right off Hwy 290 So it wouldn't be too bad as you're going to be going reverse flow of rush-hour traffic. You might also consider living in the Uptown/Galleria area, as it is just as cool as Midtown, but nicer and it'll shave about 10-15 minutes off of your commute to Cy-Fair. Commuting from the Galleria (reverse traffic), I'd say about 30 minutes or so, 45 tops.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:00 PM

17 posts, read 32,017 times
What about the Alief district

Old 04-12-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
What about the Alief district
(see Aldine)

Old 04-22-2007, 04:53 PM

10 posts, read 68,075 times
Default Looking at homes and questions?

My husband is also a teacher, at a small lower income school district, and we are looking at moving to the Houston area for better schools for our children. We lived in Pasadena for 3 years. We are especially looking at Clear Creek and a couple of others due to the gifted programs they offer for our older son. We have looked at housing in CC and Cypress fairbanks and noticed the very small homes being sold in CF. My husband spoke with someone in the isd and it seems some builders are building them for low income families. Has anyone experienced these neighborhoods and how do they seem to effect the areas around them? We are by no means well off( my husband teaches and I have stayed home with our two children). I am interested in what the future might hold for a district that is seeing mostly growth from lower income families? Sorry, this sounds kind of bad. Just want to be sure we look at all the moving angles. Thanks

Old 04-22-2007, 08:10 PM

212 posts, read 1,273,117 times
wingbone

Cy-Fair is a large diverse district, it depends on the area you are considering. I lived in Cypress Springs Subdivision, on the southwest end of the district, and the builder began to build lower end houses, and the neighborhood went down. Lots of for sale signs and renters. Most of the areas in the middle and northwest part of the district are very nice, and almost anywhere there are some very nice developments.

Example the Fry Rd/290 area has larger homes, and then 5 miles south are smaller homes designed for low to moderate income.

Like every school district in the area, they each have their unique developments. Cypress-Fairbanks ISD is a wonderful place to work or send children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: