Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 01:49 PM

30,171 posts, read 11,809,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
1. Your reference is Texas, I've never lived there. You also reference investment properties vs. someone's home. 2 different scenarios.
2. I'd kill them both if they were in my house. If I was a bad shot, then they had their chance to escape!
3. Not a mass murderer, I'd call myself the "trespass killer"
The TRESSPASS Killer? LOL. They tend to give those sorts of monikers to serial killers or mass murders.

You are opining in a Houston, TX forum yet never lived in Texas. So yes my reference is Texas where I lived several years and owned rental property. I was just saying there are ways of getting squatters out of your house same day with Cash for Keys. No courts and you don't need to shoot them. What if you shoot at them and they also are armed? So many flaws with your idea.

Quote:
How hard do you think the cops are going to investigate? Joe Homeowner comes home from work and finds 2 strangers in his house (2 on 1), shoots them with his legal firearms, then calls 911. What did Joe Homeowner do wrong?
I don't know how hard they will investigate. I personally would not like my future left up to how hard the police investigate. Yes you are the good guy and they are the bad guys. But that does not mean you can do whatever you want.

If the cops talk to the neighbors and they say these people were coming in and out of the house for weeks. Or the one person who got away tells the cops they tried to surrender and you shot both of them anyways. You can't shoot and kill squatters if you find them in your house. How do the cops know they are squatters? The neighbors say they saw them in the house for weeks and assumed they rented the place or were guests. Now if they just take over your house while you are at work that is different. But you are moving the goal post. If that is the case call the cops. They have broken into your home and there should be signs of a forced entry. They are trespassing. Renters do not break the window or force open the front door. They have keys.

Quote:
Sure if Joe decided to bury the bodies, was a felon that wasn't supposed to have guns, never calls the cops then they might have a case.
Like I said you are not a lawyer. Clearly. Although its horrible to come home and find people living in your house. In Texas you can get them out quickly through eviction. And like I said if they have only been in your house a few hours and can probably get the cops to arrest them on trespassing charges. Like I said I am not a lawyer and I don't know when a trespasser is considered a squatter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 03:57 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,527,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

Like I said you are not a lawyer. Clearly. Although its horrible to come home and find people living in your house. In Texas you can get them out quickly through eviction. And like I said if they have only been in your house a few hours and can probably get the cops to arrest them on trespassing charges. Like I said I am not a lawyer and I don't know when a trespasser is considered a squatter.
Victim mentality.
Need to change that.
Otherwise you are going to be a victim in lots of other situations.
Eviction is a long process, and guess who is going to pay for it?
I'm not saying go shoot the intruders. That is going to make everything even worse.
But other states are already implementing policies against squatters.
Texas should catch up with Florida on this issue.

Old 03-31-2024, 04:42 PM

https://www.foxnews.com/media/squatt...-straight-jail

The new law granting state law enforcement officials the power to remove offenders and increasing penalties for squatters, comes as property owners nationwide complain their homes are being seized by strangers while they have limited options to take back what's rightfully theirs.

"What New York does, what California does, Florida will do the opposite. And so the squatter scam ends today with our legislation," DeSantis told Fox News' Sean Hannity.

Now in Florida, you call up, you fill out a form, the sheriff comes, and the sheriff kicks him out of your property."

"If we don't have private property rights, we will not have a free society, so it is the bedrock Florida stands by, and we're proud to do it," he continued later.

Old 04-01-2024, 01:43 PM

11,816 posts, read 8,023,382 times
Quote:
You are in MY house? That will be the process and no jury in America would convict you.......

Is there a statue of limitations on trespassing/home invasion? If you break in for 10 minutes or 10 days does it matter?
Apparently, legally speaking it 'does' matter how long they have been there. If you catch them breaking in 10 minutes then obviously that's an invasion and you have the right to do what's necessary to protect your home and assets..

..but if by some circumstance you're gone and they've been there for 30 days or more, despite the invasion premises, they legally become squatters which have protections and must be evicted through the court process.. ..despite how screwed up the situation is.. ..if they have been there for some time and you suddenly 'shoot' them, despite your initial shock.. ..if an investigation is conducted and its proven that they have been there for more than 30 days then its possible the case could backfire on you.. not because you shot the squatters, but because you broke the law (which is both local and federal)..it may or may not depend on the judge, but it can.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with how you feel, but being in real estate I have seen where property owners took actions which were justified by intent but backfired on them because it was not the lawful method.

Old 04-01-2024, 02:43 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
I have a serious question ...

Why are people talking about "squatters that have been there for 30 days"
when the law clearly say that they have to be there several years

Are people just repeating like parrots what they heard on Foxnews?

Old 04-01-2024, 02:49 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,028,742 times
The blurb I posted earlier was quoted from The Wall Street Journal. I don’t watch Foxnews, MSNBC, or CNN fyi…

Old 04-01-2024, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

What are you trying to say?
Adverse possession and just living for free are different things. Most squatters just live for free from few days to months.
But if you are really lucky you can even acquire the property after several years. Do you want to try?

Old 04-01-2024, 05:04 PM

11,816 posts, read 8,023,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

Pardon my inaccuracy. I was repeating the previous poster. Yes the minimum appears to be 3 years in Texas but varies depending on circumstances.

Okay... fine... I was wrong... ...shoot the squatter ..erh.. intruder.

(Somehow I am getting the mental image of City Guy997S with intruders tied up in his living room with a gun pointed at them in one hand and his phone pointed to city-data in the other hand reading and posting in this topic and right after Dopo said several years there were loud climatic gunshots heard in the background)

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 04-01-2024 at 05:13 PM..

Old 04-01-2024, 05:25 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,741,861 times
I posted this in the CA forum, and now I repeat.

Invite and pay for the services of 15-20 members of a motorcycle club, the Hells Angels type, to clean, repair, and live in your home for a week. If they get it "clean" in a few hours, they get a bonus.

Turn your home into a Pit Bull Rescue Center and get a dozen big bad puppies INSIDE. Close the doors, all windows, and feed the dogs. Diarrhea is your friend.

If you belong to a local church, invite 40-50 members for cars and coffee, or bible study. Offer free drinks. Ask them to come inside and stay the afternoon.

We really live in sad times to deal with such two-legged pests now.

Last edited by mgforshort; 04-01-2024 at 05:41 PM..

Old 04-01-2024, 05:57 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Somehow I am getting the mental image of City Guy997S with intruders tied up in his living room with a gun pointed at them in one hand and his phone pointed to city-data in the other hand reading and posting in this topic and right after Dopo said several years there were loud climatic gunshots heard in the background
Now you are speaking my language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston