Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2019, 07:23 AM

277 posts, read 304,784 times

Advertisements

I’m an idiot. Let’s get that out of the way. When we selected a builder- I went to 6-7 and narrowed it down to two. Asked about deposits and such and one was 20% and one was 15%..but no, I ‘heard’ 15 but it was actually 50%. We have quite a bit of upgrades- we have already paid 10k, builder gave us 20k in incentives on upgrades.
I think I am being reasonable to ask that the 50% owed on upgrades be calculated AFTER the discount.
If I have 75k in upgrades, remove the 20k..and I should pay 50% on 55k... is that not reasonable? We are buying the new build before selling existing- so much of our cash is tied up in first house.
We can pay the 1/2 on 75k, but it would take us 3 months to pay it.. I don’t mind signing an agreement for three installments well before the house is finished. Is that reasonable? They put crap in houses today- our upgrades are mostly structural..something that needs to be done in framing stage- and upgrades appliances/flooring that are best installed by builder because it’s cost prohibitive to do it after..things like paint and ceiling fans- we’ll do ourselves...any experiences??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 07:53 AM

1,211 posts, read 3,556,893 times
Discuss with your builder. This is stuff that should be sorted out prior to executing the contract. Plenty of CD goobers will descend on this shortly with a myriad of idiotic commentary, but none of it will provide answers to your questions, nor dictate your builders policy regarding any of your issues.

A builder wants as much full pop monies on upgrades they can collect in order to mitigate any potential losses they may incur if you don’t end up closing, for whatever reason.

Edit to add that having a contingency in this situation negates your negotiating power significantly, as well.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:24 AM

102 posts, read 159,021 times
David Weekley is 25% on upgrades selected from the Design Center. You get it back at closing.

Old 11-16-2019, 09:01 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,733,169 times
The builder wants you to buy, they will work with you, those upgrades are pure profit for them.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:45 PM

344 posts, read 346,407 times
The most experienced builders will require you pay cash up front for upgrades to ensure they are not stuck with them if you don't go through with the deal. So be 100% sure you are happy with the builder and know what quality home they will construct.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:09 PM

160 posts, read 399,529 times
Pure profit is not a true statement. Also the builder is not interested in being stuck with poor buyer decisions and then can’t sale the home. That is the reason for the deposit. People pick weird and personal things that may not translate to what the general buying public may want if they cancel the home contract. Each builder will require different deposits.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:57 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,584,814 times
As long as the upgrades are not radical the builder should be pretty flexible.
Normally you agree on this % before you sign. I negotiated mine to 10% of the upgrades, but then again I went in and did 30K of upgrades of which 18K was builder incentive.

The objective here is for the builder not to be stuck with a spec home that Buyer A customized and now Buyer B, C, D... all hate the upgrades done by Buyer A. So the builder either has to take a loss or rip out and replace (still a loss). Your deposit is in the event you bail or can't close, they have some cushion built into the home to offset.

If you match their inventory options and really outfit it with easy to sell options you can fight to have this amended.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:10 AM

467 posts, read 778,335 times
Deposits are applied toward cash to close.. it’s not a profit for builders.
Most builders are 25-50% on design upgrades.

Some builders I’ve heard of $75,000 deposits being the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: