Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 07:54 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,560,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
For me, the issue is not the weather (heat) in Houston
the issue is the lack of trees for a city that has a 9 month long summer
Clearly the issue is the heat. If the temperature was moderate, you wouldn't need the trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 08:39 AM

9,862 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
The fact that these threads tend to come up multiple times a year and people so vehemently try to defend the weather in Houston, tells me all I need to know. Me thinks many here try just a little too hard to sugar coat things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Clearly the issue is the heat. If the temperature was moderate, you wouldn't need the trees.
Not everyone thinks like you. Otherwise, the sunbelt wouldn’t be fastest growing region in the US. Houston summers are brutal. The rest of the year is (such as right now) is enjoyable. I 100% prefer them to Midwestern winters. If you like cold winters, that’s specific to you

Old 03-05-2024, 09:11 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,560,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Not everyone thinks like you. Otherwise, the sunbelt wouldn’t be fastest growing region in the US. Houston summers are brutal. The rest of the year is (such as right now) is enjoyable. I 100% prefer them to Midwestern winters. If you like cold winters, that’s specific to you
Well, that is the point of a forum, isn't it? A topic like weather is about as subjective as it comes. Yes, not everyone thinks like me or like you for that matter.

But there's also this thing called science that puts many outrageous claims about people running around in summers in Houston to bed

With that said, exactly what are you disagreeing with regarding the trees comment. Am I supposed to believe if the temperature was moderate, people would actually need the shade from trees?

Old 03-05-2024, 11:54 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,022,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Just become rich and move to West University or Museum district.
Exactly! Houston is one of the most forested cities in the U.S. Atlanta of course is the city in the forest, but Houston does ok for trees.

Hey Dopo, Trees for Houston just had a tree giveaway this past Saturday. Were you there?

Old 03-05-2024, 12:02 PM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Exactly! Houston is one of the most forested cities in the U.S. Atlanta of course is the city in the forest, but Houston does ok for trees.

Hey Dopo, Trees for Houston just had a tree giveaway this past Saturday. Were you there?
I would have gone if somebody had told me before it happened

Old 03-05-2024, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I would have gone if somebody had told me before it happened
Sign up for the newsletter and you will receive advance notification of the next tree giveaway event.
https://www.treesforhouston.org/tree-giveaways

You have to reserve your trees quickly because they go fast. Last Saturday they gave away Live Oak, Magnolia, and Loblolly Pine. Up to 5 trees total. I was slow to sign up and got stuck with 5 pine, which is ok for where I’m going to plant them. As a bonus they also had some Red Maple seedlings. I got two of those too. The pine are already about 3 feet tall. I was pleasantly surprised.

Old 03-05-2024, 05:53 PM

356 posts, read 129,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post

Dang it, I missed another one?

I do agree that Houston is relatively high in the tree department, but as a tree lover I agree with Dopo, more would be better.

Dunno why I'm the less affluent neighborhoods the first thing that is done when someone buys a house is to clear the lot of every tree. The richer neighborhoods pay more to be amongst trees.

Old 03-11-2024, 06:05 PM

Ok. There is a fruit tree giveaway this Saturday at Delmar Stadium. No sign up required. I guess we just show up!
https://www.treesforhouston.org/publ..._aid=363292673

Old 03-12-2024, 05:23 PM

356 posts, read 129,636 times
I have two Pineapple pears and I would recommend them for the flowers. They are absolutely covered in flowers in the spring. Good luck wrasslin with the squirrels for pears though. I have a range of fruit trees but squirrels just can't seem to resist pears.
They require cross pollination so unless you got neighbors with pears I would recommend one Kiefer and One Pineapple.

The Brown Turkey is a reliable producer. Only problem is the cold snaps keep knocking it back to the roots. It comes back but my tree never gets a chance to develop into an actual tree before it gets knocked back.

If you plant the Barbados Cherry ( we call it West Indian Cherry) in the ground it will boom to a 6ft monster by Christmas and produce cherries every 4 or 5 weeks, but one hard freeze and the tree will be dead. It can grow in a large pot that you bring into the garage for cold snaps, but you won't get that many fruits.

Never tried any of those peaches, but I hear Mid Pride is good.
I wish they were offering Tropic Beauty Peaches. That one doesn't require a lot of cold like other peach trees and it produces buckets of peaches

Most Texas soils were not meant for blueberries. Then if they do make it, they need lots of sun to produce but yet the Texas sun murderizes em. It's a catch 22. You can stick it in an area that gets afternoon shade, and provide acid fertilizer and good drainage and keep it well watered and be rewarded with a handful of blueberries. Might as well spend 4 bucks and get some from the store.

Old 03-12-2024, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinBueno View Post
I have two Pineapple pears and I would recommend them for the flowers. They are absolutely covered in flowers in the spring. Good luck wrasslin with the squirrels for pears though. I have a range of fruit trees but squirrels just can't seem to resist pears.
They require cross pollination so unless you got neighbors with pears I would recommend one Kiefer and One Pineapple.

The Brown Turkey is a reliable producer. Only problem is the cold snaps keep knocking it back to the roots. It comes back but my tree never gets a chance to develop into an actual tree before it gets knocked back.

If you plant the Barbados Cherry ( we call it West Indian Cherry) in the ground it will boom to a 6ft monster by Christmas and produce cherries every 4 or 5 weeks, but one hard freeze and the tree will be dead. It can grow in a large pot that you bring into the garage for cold snaps, but you won't get that many fruits.

Never tried any of those peaches, but I hear Mid Pride is good.
I wish they were offering Tropic Beauty Peaches. That one doesn't require a lot of cold like other peach trees and it produces buckets of peaches

Most Texas soils were not meant for blueberries. Then if they do make it, they need lots of sun to produce but yet the Texas sun murderizes em. It's a catch 22. You can stick it in an area that gets afternoon shade, and provide acid fertilizer and good drainage and keep it well watered and be rewarded with a handful of blueberries. Might as well spend 4 bucks and get some from the store.
Thanks! I was going to get 3 Kieffer Pear but I'll change my order based on your guidance. I don't like figs so they are out. I was curious about the cherry tree but I've never seen one in Houston. My cousins in Washington used to send us some every year and we would send them oranges. Why would Trees for Houston give out trees that will not survive in our climate? Strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston