Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 12:23 PM

112 posts, read 432,838 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I'm an extremely busy person and don't have much time or knowledge of using the internet. I am asking my niece to help me write this message. English isn't my native language also. I would appreciate any advice that anyone here is able to provide me with.

My bill around this time of the year is between $300-$400 monthly for a 3500sq ft 2-story home. I feel this is quite high for the average home owner in my area which is Seven Meadows in Katy, TX 77494. Does this seem a bit high to you guys? It says I'm on a month to month plan and I'm using around 2200kWh per month and it shows 18 cents per kW. I would like to cut down costs, but I'm not sure what plan to go with for my area. I've been with the same plan for the past 10 years now. Could someone help me lower my electricity costs.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 12:25 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,811,293 times
Energy Ogre is $10 a month. They will automatically switch you to the best plan for your situation every time your current plan ends. www.energyogre.com

It's been well worth $10 a month for me.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:01 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,665,251 times
I have reliant too. We have a 4200 sq ft 2 story home in Sugar Land. We are paying about $250-$270 a month during the hottest months. I don’t have my bill in front of me or I would go look up the rate, but I know we are not paying 18 cents. I wonder what plan you have.

Oh, we are not month to month. That is probably it.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:06 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,772,676 times
Your problem is most certainly that you are on a month to month plan. 18 cents is too high.

powertochoose.org looks like you should get close to cutting that in half.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:44 PM

This is what reliant energy says for my account. The information is confusing for me to understand. Yes I am on a month to month plan it seems, and my previous payment was $384. Which is very high for me. We have 2 central air units. One for upstairs and downstairs. I estimate that I use between 500-2000 kwh per month. And looking at all the available plans listed on powertochoose.org, I'm not sure which one to go with. I have been paying this much for electricity and just now was told that I was paying way too much. Had I known this or had knowledge about this, I would have done something much sooner to save money. It's overwhelming for me looking at the many different plans they have available, because there are some stuff I don't completely understand.

I'm on a month to month plan and It says I'm using on average around 1136 kWh per month, with 2200 kWh being my highest and 422 kWh the lowest.

One thing in particular is Fixed vs Variable. Not sure what would be best for my case, and also how it lists 3 different kwh values on powertochoose.org for each plan. Like the bold numbers 5.6cents 1000 kwh / 11.2cents 500 kwh / 12.8cents 2000 kwh. What does this mean exactly and how do you interpret these 3 for each plan listed on the site?

I've been with Reliant from the start and have not used any other company before. So I'm kind of nervous about switching. But I know I must do something now, whether I stay with reliant and switch to a better plan or find a plan with a different provider all together. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

The following images are what it shows on my Reliant account:

Last edited by parisby; 07-12-2018 at 02:06 PM..

Old 07-12-2018, 02:54 PM

24,008 posts, read 15,106,139 times
We just paid our electricity bill for a 3400 foot 2 story house. It was $130. We keep it cool due to DH's medical treatment causes him to have hot flashes every 90 minutes.

The PUC says that Power to Choose is so convoluted these days as to make it useless. Since you are not in your comfort zone communication wise, pay Energy Ogre 10 a month to get you the lowest price.

We were with Breeze until 2 months ago. The price was so good they went out of business. The state switched us from Breeze paying less than 9 cents a KwH to another company who was going to charge us 18 cents.

We got with Energy Ogre immediately. We are now back to 9 cents, +/-. Even with their 10$ a month, $130 is not bad for as hot as it has been.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:24 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,796,737 times
Our plan came to a flat 7.6 cents/kWh including centerpoint charges. We signed up earlier this year - prices are probably higher during the summer months.

Our highest bill ever was $175/month, and most are lower. Older 4500 sq ft house with three old 12 SEER ACs.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:27 PM

Wow, I don't understand why my electric bill is so high compared to everyone else then. I've never tried or heard of energy ogre before. How exactly does it work? So they switch your plan from different electric companies whenever it finds something lower? Wouldn't this make it extremely difficult to keep track of payments since you would have to register with those companies and get separate account numbers? It sounds like a lot of trouble and confusion.

Is there anyone here who can help me decipher my bill and tell me why it's so high compared to everyone else? I feel like I have been robbed all these years.

I'm not sure what who to switch to and which plan to go with. I'm afraid to commit on a contract, what if I choose the wrong plan and I'm stuck. I need to choose wisely and it's difficult because I'm not a native here.

I appreciate everyone's response.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:21 AM

15 posts, read 18,445 times
Your bill is high because you use an average of 2000kwh a month. Your rate is super high at 18 cents. Just look at your power to choose screenshot. Anyone of those plan would drop your bill by a $100. At 2000kwh they charge you 13 cents over 18 cents your current rate.

Reliant is probably one of the most expensive company to use. But I bet if you just click renew or change plan they would have way better rates then what you are paying now just within their own site. If you are too busy then just go that route. Probably can save $50 a month.

energyogre.com seems like a good choice for you even though I never used before.

I use powertochoose, but it does require some homework. My plan is 4.8 cent if I use over 1000kwh from Gexa Energy. I pay $50-$110 a month with that price. It's fixed rate and 12 month plan. End of 12 month i redo the search again. It's not for everyone, but a few hours of my time researching saves me hundreds a year so it's worth it for me.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:55 AM

958 posts, read 2,575,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linjy2 View Post
Your bill is high because you use an average of 2000kwh a month. Your rate is super high at 18 cents. Just look at your power to choose screenshot. Anyone of those plan would drop your bill by a $100. At 2000kwh they charge you 13 cents over 18 cents your current rate.

Reliant is probably one of the most expensive company to use. But I bet if you just click renew or change plan they would have way better rates then what you are paying now just within their own site. If you are too busy then just go that route. Probably can save $50 a month.

energyogre.com seems like a good choice for you even though I never used before.

I use powertochoose, but it does require some homework. My plan is 4.8 cent if I use over 1000kwh from Gexa Energy. I pay $50-$110 a month with that price. It's fixed rate and 12 month plan. End of 12 month i redo the search again. It's not for everyone, but a few hours of my time researching saves me hundreds a year so it's worth it for me.
That’s what we do ever year. Just requires about an hour or so of homework after you understand what to look for.

Otherwise sign up with energyorge and they will do it for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston