Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 09:38 AM

694 posts, read 835,366 times

Advertisements

I lived in Greatwood for many years as well.......right next to the Tara subdivision, so I am not basing this on internet searches....but on actually having driven through there, and seeing the place over the years in the local news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 01:15 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,914,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Well I just googlemapped that neighborhood and yes I definitely see it's not the place I would be excited to live in.
And especially if you are familiar with the area that's valuable input. But typically most replies here are not so informative as yours
Agreed. Normally I am right there with you regarding advice on the internet - usually ill-informed or fueled exclusively by negative reviews. This just happens to be one of those times where I can speak from experience.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:35 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,216,477 times
you get "close to" Sugar Land and good schools on the cheap..win-win

Old 11-16-2017, 09:56 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,820,070 times
The fact is you aren't going to get a stellar home with amazing neighbors when the average home is 150K. That's just reality. At least Tara is close to 59, and has good schools. You could do worse.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:00 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,228 times
Wow, is Tara that expensive now?? When I was looking at houses in 2012 they were going for around 80k in Tara. I drove around and saw why! I wonder why Greatwood didn't put up gates. I did find similar prices in "The Grove" attached to Pecan Grove. I wonder how that neighborhood is doing these days in value. It never seemed as hood as Tara.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:01 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,820,070 times
Well, you would have doubled your money then.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
Well, you would have doubled your money then.
Oh definitely! I should have bought one of the places I was looking at in Houston. I would have made at least 40-50k profit. My parents built a house that summer in Pearland (2012) and now the houses around them are up by 60k what they paid... and they didn't flood

Plus, when I moved to LA six years ago the prices were bargain basement and I could have gotten a condo for around 250k that would now be over 4 I just wasn't sure where I'd want to settle down. I'm sure another bust will come around.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:08 PM

694 posts, read 835,366 times
Looks like the Tara subdivision is spared the worst of the new segment C of the Grand Parkway... I had always assumed that it would run right down Crabb River Road, but it kicks out west, providing a buffer near the Tara subdivision.

http://www.grandpky.com/downloads/ex...9_c_121204.pdf

Old 11-20-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post
Looks like the Tara subdivision is spared the worst of the new segment C of the Grand Parkway... I had always assumed that it would run right down Crabb River Road, but it kicks out west, providing a buffer near the Tara subdivision.

http://www.grandpky.com/downloads/ex...9_c_121204.pdf
They sure are determined to make the Grand Pkwy the weirdest loop on the map. This is going to be what people see when they google Houston, a drunk child with a green crayon. Who is going to drive this thing when it unnecessarily wobbles to and fro across the map?? They went for the cheapest possible land instead of building something that would create a link across the southern outskirts of Houston.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:45 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,914,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
They sure are determined to make the Grand Pkwy the weirdest loop on the map. This is going to be what people see when they google Houston, a drunk child with a green crayon. Who is going to drive this thing when it unnecessarily wobbles to and fro across the map?? They went for the cheapest possible land instead of building something that would create a link across the southern outskirts of Houston.
In this particular stretch, that actually is by design. You will notice there are a few acreage parcels that sit off of Crabb River Road, right where the road makes the bend after the Greatwood/Canyon Gate entrances. In addition to having to buy out at least one homeowner, there is a cemetery with a handful of marked graves on one of those plots of land.

While there was a controversy regarding unmarked Native American remains up toward Katy and the tollway association's decision to move forward with construction on those sites, the fact that these are marked graves tells me the GP wasn't looking to exhume and move these remains.

The purpose for rest of that bend before/after FM 762 is fairly obvious - to avoid existing neighborhood developments.

As to the overall layout of the Grand Parkway as a whole, you have to remember that roads are built as deals between existing land owners and the DoT or Toll Road Authority. Land owners who are willing to come to the table and negotiate equates to quicker progress; eminent domain usage slows down the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston