Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 07:37 AM

124 posts, read 190,889 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if the flood risk map was accurate in predicting which areas of Houston would flood, and which wouldn't.

Any feedback from locals would be appreciated. Thanks.

https://temblor.net/app/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 08:25 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,002,034 times
The map says what chance you have off flooding. It can't definitely say where it will or won't flood.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:29 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
The area East of Barker reservoir (West Houston South if I-10) i believe is completely flooded

Old 09-03-2017, 06:02 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,457 times
Relatively spot on for Cypress south of 290

Old 09-03-2017, 08:52 AM

270 posts, read 406,013 times
FEMA flood maps show the flood risk from storm surge and riverine flow (streams and rivers). This is how they do the maps all over the country and the areas in blue are a good measure of the elevated risk of those events.

What they don't account for is the somewhat Houston unique dead flat topography, susceptibility to massive rainfall, and the resulting surface flooding when the local drainage is overwhelmed for a few hours. That's why there are many neighborhoods in Houston that have flooded multiple times and yet do not fall on any FEMA flood map.

Sadly some homeowners are misled by this when buying that a home is not in a flood plain and do not by flood insurance even thogh they may be at elevated risk due to rainfall. Ironically the insurance would be the lowest rate "minimum risk" level since FEMA doesn't account for this risk (although they will after two flood claims in 10 years on an individual property).

Old 09-03-2017, 09:11 AM
ptt

497 posts, read 637,279 times
Storm water starts rising in neighborhoods near Addicks and Barker dams - Houston Chronicle
The map above link is very accurate. All homes in yellow-orange are under water while in red-teal green are streets flooded.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:39 PM

109 posts, read 115,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero100 View Post
FEMA flood maps show the flood risk from storm surge and riverine flow (streams and rivers). This is how they do the maps all over the country and the areas in blue are a good measure of the elevated risk of those events.

What they don't account for is the somewhat Houston unique dead flat topography, susceptibility to massive rainfall, and the resulting surface flooding when the local drainage is overwhelmed for a few hours. That's why there are many neighborhoods in Houston that have flooded multiple times and yet do not fall on any FEMA flood map.

Sadly some homeowners are misled by this when buying that a home is not in a flood plain and do not by flood insurance even thogh they may be at elevated risk due to rainfall. Ironically the insurance would be the lowest rate "minimum risk" level since FEMA doesn't account for this risk (although they will after two flood claims in 10 years on an individual property).

Regarding this please note the following from Harris County Flood Control District (HCFCD):

Flood Insurance: Who Needs It?
EVERYONE!
The effects of flooding do not endwhen the water recedes. Flood Insurance can help you get back on your feet.

Everyone living in a participating community of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) can buy floodinsurance. Harris County and the incorporated cities within the county areparticipants in the NFIP. Just because your home is not mapped within the100-year floodplain does not mean that you are free from the potential toflood. FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) show areas subject to floodingfrom a primary flooding source, typically major rivers, bayous and theirtributaries, and are meant to help determine the risk of flooding for aproperty. However, flooding from sources that are not identified on the FIRMs is possible and occurs often in Harris County. Many homes flood because excess storm water cannot drain into a storm drainage system fast enough to prevent localized ponding from reaching the inside of a home. On a national basis, one-third of the flood loss claims are from property located outside of the mapped 1% (100-year) floodplain. This does not mean the FIRMs are wrong. It simply means that not all flooding sources are calculated when determining risk.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:03 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Whatever,
just insurance companies trying to make more money

I bought where it doesn't flood, so I'm not buying flood insurance
During Harvey, I was able to drive everyday around my whole neighborhood and to the grocery store.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:25 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Whatever,

During Harvey, I was able to drive everyday around my whole neighborhood and to the grocery store.
Insurance companies don't make any money off of flood insurance, except maybe an administrative fee for dealing with the customers. The insurance itself is provided by the government(yeah, I know there are a few private flood insurers, but they are rare).

My house didn't flood either, but I still have flood insurance, just in case something totally unexpected happens. There is nowhere in Houston that will never, ever, flood.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:06 PM

109 posts, read 115,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Whatever,

That is good news. It may be helpful for you to look into why your neighborhood remained unaffected by Harvey. Local drainage conditions may change especially if there has been additional development/construction nearby.

Many other people thought they were in an area that did not flood but found out differently during Harvey. Now they are forced to either move, improve drainage/elevate, or stay and risk future flooding as the result of factors of which they may or may not be aware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston