Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:20 AM

660 posts, read 1,617,409 times

Advertisements

my st. augustine lawn is filled with this grass. i'm not sure if this is st augustine when it grows or a type of weed that i should kill.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 11:45 AM

23,998 posts, read 15,096,054 times
It is making seed. Leave it alone.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:52 AM

660 posts, read 1,617,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
It is making seed. Leave it alone.
ok tnx.. should i remove my mow mulch bag when i mow so the seed will go to the soil?

Old 04-29-2012, 02:47 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,273,096 times
Those are seeds. I don't know if removing mulch bag helps, but that's what I did - hoping those seeds survive. I'm not sure if the seeds survive when the grass is clipped.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:56 PM

23,998 posts, read 15,096,054 times
St. Augustine grows better from plugs and/or sod. Not much luck with seed. Just ignore it. Continue on your usual routine.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:43 PM

670 posts, read 1,442,681 times
You should be mulching everything back into the grass anyways, not into a bag.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 31,395 times
False seed head from using too much p when fertilizing

Old 07-09-2012, 03:46 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,177,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug_guy_lakeland View Post
False seed head from using too much p when fertilizing
Poppycock! That's a normal phase for St. Augustine. As we've had higher than normal temps mixed with the shorter days of June, it throws seeds.

Nothing to worry about.

Ronnie

Old 07-09-2012, 04:33 PM

611 posts, read 2,235,384 times
that is a seed head from stress

plants "think" about the next generation when they get stressed from water or lack of nutrients or when winter (for summer grasses) or spring (for winter grasses) is coming on......plants will look to throw seed for the "future" in case they die

it is really not a huge issue....if you are already watering then you probably need to water less often for longer periods of time VS watering for short periods of time frequently

short waterings cause roots to grow near the surface of the soil and to not go deeper this will mean more root mass up where the soil is warmer and it will mean less roots deeper if you do get a good rain so those roots can take up water from lower levels of the soil profile

by watering longer less frequently you get the roots to go deeper and they will have more area of soil to draw water from and more area to draw nutrients from

plant stress especially from heat and transpiration is often not from just lack of water it is from lack of available root mass to pump enough water and or too much root mass in too little area to pump enough water......shallow roots are competing for the same water and that will also be the water that dries up first during periods of less or no rain.......deeper roots again have more total area of soil to draw any available water from and that deeper soil profile will dry out more slowly than the upper soil profile

if you are watering and watering for longer periods less often, but you are not fertilizing at all now is 100% the wrong time to fertilize, but in the late fall you will want to put down a good fertilizer or in the early spring and that will help with root growth and plant stress....plants need nutrients to complete the transpiration cycle so lack of nutrients will make the plant transpire more slowly as well......so a decent fert program along with deep watering will promote deeper root growth, a better root mass, and have nutrients available so the plant can transpire

again it is not a big deal per say, but it is a sign of stress and now is the time to NOT fertilize, but you might want to in the fall or next spring

also if you want to save some money on watering many people will laugh or even try and call you out, but if you get a brief rain of only say 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch that is actually a good time to go ahead and apply some more irrigation to help move the water lower in the plant profile......it seems counter intuitive, but since the upper surface is already wet, you will be skipping over that and getting the water to move down more rapidly then you can hold off longer on your next watering

also seeding heads can come from letting a grass grow too tall....I hate to mow the lawn as much as anyone, but you should only be cutting off a small portion of the grass each cut not half of the height or more.......especially now you will not want to go out and put a harder cutting on it, but over time you will want to lower the overall height of the grass and then keep it a bit shorter and cut less of the total height off each cut......this will also promote a thicker lawn and shorter blades transpire less water as well and thicker grass shades the soil more and lessens soil drying

on the flip side if you are one of those people that will cut two times a week and keep it like a military hair cut the plant will again be stressed because it is always be trying to catch up from the cuttings.......cuttings are stressful to plants and the ends that are damaged can transpire a lot of water......a sharper mower blade will help as well since like a clean cut on your finger a clean cut on a blade of grass will heal faster than a slashed off or torn off top

grass is a lot like me.....it likes things "just so" to be at it's best

Last edited by TexasVines; 07-09-2012 at 04:41 PM..

Old 07-09-2012, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 31,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Poppycock! That's a normal phase for St. Augustine. As we've had higher than normal temps mixed with the shorter days of June, it throws seeds.

Nothing to worry about.

Ronnie
Go ahead throw an 8-10-10 fertiljzer on st Aug grass and it grows seeds that will not germinate. The tops look like asparagus ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: