Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 08:40 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,991 times

Advertisements

I'm contemplating the purchase of a gas generator for my newly built home in Katy (near Fulshear). Considering that our utility lines are all underground, would it be overkill to have a generator? I experienced hurricane Katrina/Ike and would like to be prepared for any type of long term outage. Another concern is that we have a water front property (albeit man made). From the research that I've done, Katy generally does not flood.

Am I being overly cautious about this or is a gas generator a sound investment for my situation? Would greatly appreciate any feedback form those of you who have experience with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 09:31 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times
Putting a generator in can be very expensive from my investigation of cost to put it in an existing home. The underground lines will help prevent issues but may not stop them as whats feeding your neighborhood lines may be above ground. A low probability risk but once you lose power in a hurricane it can be a major nuisance and cost in lost food and potential home issues with high unconditioned air for days at a time. My Houston neighborhood used underground power lines too but we were out a few days after Ike and were lucky compared to many not from us on the west side. I would get a cost estimate and you can judge for yourself because the underground neighborhood lines wont eliminate this risk completely

Old 03-14-2012, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I began pricing some units and found that a few years ago they ran for approx 10k after installation. After some research, they are actually not too bad.

This 17kW unit retails for under $3700 which seems pretty affordable. Also, Centerpoint Energy is giving a $500 dollar gas credit until the end of April if you purchase one of these units.

Here is the one I have my eye on: 17kW Automatic Backup Power System-5873 at The Home Depot

Old 03-14-2012, 10:21 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times
Double the price by the time you include installation. New electrical panel and breakers, gasfitters to run the line, larger gas meter, etc. etc.

A great idea, but $7-$10K buys a long vacation IF the power is out.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:56 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,308,785 times
I know a couple of people who had backup generators installed for less than $1500 (installation cost only).

I plan on installing one in the near future. Although we have underground utilities, the electricity seems to go out on a regular basis when it is particularly windy outside, not for very long, but long enough that I have to reset all of my clocks regularly (and almost always after dark - go figure). Recently it went out for a couple of hours (of course, after dark).

Old 03-14-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cla View Post
I know a couple of people who had backup generators installed for less than $1500 (installation cost only).

I plan on installing one in the near future. Although we have underground utilities, the electricity seems to go out on a regular basis when it is particularly windy outside, not for very long, but long enough that I have to reset all of my clocks regularly (and almost always after dark - go figure). Recently it went out for a couple of hours (of course, after dark).
Great to know about the installation costs. Thanks CLA. I was hoping it would be around that price range.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:55 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,308,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
Great to know about the installation costs. Thanks CLA. I was hoping it would be around that price range.
The rates can go much higher if you hire a contractor to do the entire installation rather than bringing in a separate electrician and plumber to do their respective parts.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:30 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,236,484 times
I don't think one can firmly say whether a generator is "worth" it or not. They rarely get used, and it's more a convenience factor than anything else.

I had one put in, because to me it's worth it (ie, I don't want to be inconvenienced, so the $$$ are justified).

To power a typical house, you need between 17-20K. I have 3200 sq ft, two a/c units, etc, and I put a 20K in. Smaller house needs less, bigger house needs more.

The unit costs around $4K, including a transfer case, which you definitely want. That's what switches the generator on automatically when the power kicks off. Then another $4K for plbg, elec and permits. I'm sure you can find it cheaper, but I know several people who have done it, and the costs all are within 10% of each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cla View Post
Be aware the generator doesn't kick in immediately. It's NOT like a UPS for a computer. They are typically designed to wait 10-15 seconds AFTER the power fails before kicking in, and they wait about a minute AFTER the power is restored before turning off. This prevents them from starting and stopping and starting and stopping every time there is a brief power outage.

Your clocks will still be blinking 12:00.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:42 PM

538 posts, read 1,362,476 times
My next door neighbor had a whole-house generator installed for right at $10k and that included installation. His house is around 3,200 sqft. I'm not sure if it will power everything, but the thing is huge. I get jealous every time I hear it auto-start on Saturday mornings.

We were without electricity for two weeks after Ike. I work from home, and all of my work is computer-based. My husband back-fed a gas-powered generator into our service panel a few days after Ike. It wasn't the optimal solution, but it powered enough fans, our lights, the TV and our fridge and computers for the interim. It didn't power our A/C or our pool pumps, and we had to be careful not too have too much on at once. You can get a licensed electrician to install the outlet.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I don't think one can firmly say whether a generator is "worth" it or not. They rarely get used, and it's more a convenience factor than anything else.

I had one put in, because to me it's worth it (ie, I don't want to be inconvenienced, so the $$$ are justified).

To power a typical house, you need between 17-20K. I have 3200 sq ft, two a/c units, etc, and I put a 20K in. Smaller house needs less, bigger house needs more.

The unit costs around $4K, including a transfer case, which you definitely want. That's what switches the generator on automatically when the power kicks off. Then another $4K for plbg, elec and permits. I'm sure you can find it cheaper, but I know several people who have done it, and the costs all are within 10% of each other.

Be aware the generator doesn't kick in immediately. It's NOT like a UPS for a computer. They are typically designed to wait 10-15 seconds AFTER the power fails before kicking in, and they wait about a minute AFTER the power is restored before turning off. This prevents them from starting and stopping and starting and stopping every time there is a brief power outage.

Your clocks will still be blinking 12:00.
Great info! Didn't realize I need permits. Is this required if installed through Centerpoint Energy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston