Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 03:57 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,149,545 times

Advertisements

I see you discovered the joys of Houston traffic. If your husband works by Westheimer and HWY 6, it would be better to stick with Sugarland and Katy. The lower stress level and the time spent with the children is immeasurable.

Sugarland is more racially diverse than Katy with a large hispanic and vietnamese population especially among school age children.

Demographics:
https://www.city-data.com/city/Katy-Texas.html
https://www.city-data.com/city/Sugar-Land-Texas.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 04:23 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,054,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdhb406 View Post
Me and my family are thinking of relocating to the Houston area. What is the typical cost of living and jobs like? I currently live in Indiana and the economy is just so horrible it's impossible to find a job. I as well have small children and need a family friendly neighborhood. Where online can I search for places to rent?
Despite Houston weathering the economic downtown better than some areas, it still is not advisable to move here w/o a job. There are a lot of people who can't find jobs -- many are taking jobs that used to be done by teens (retail, food service). Texas is not a good state to be poor in.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,445 times
i love Cypress Texas, schools are great, jobs readily available, and the shops are w/n reach. i work downtown, which is far & i wouldnt move......

Old 11-14-2011, 07:06 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,869,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I see you discovered the joys of Houston traffic. If your husband works by Westheimer and HWY 6, it would be better to stick with Sugarland and Katy. The lower stress level and the time spent with the children is immeasurable.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Sugarland is more racially diverse than Katy with a large hispanic and vietnamese population especially among school age children.

Demographics:
https://www.city-data.com/city/Katy-Texas.html
https://www.city-data.com/city/Sugar-Land-Texas.html
Actually there is not a large percentage of Hispanics, or Blacks in Sugar Land. It's primarily White and Asian. The chart even shows there is a much larger percentage of Hispanics in Katy than in Sugar Land. (This is just in reference to Sugar Land itself... not Missouri City, Rosenberg, or other nearby areas.)

Old 11-15-2011, 05:12 AM

13 posts, read 49,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebor79
search google maps for Timmy Chans. Wherever they pop up is a good neighborhood to live!
LOL NO DEAR GOD NO DO NOT LIVE WHERE THEIRS A TIMMY CHAN LOCATED NEAR BY. Its in the ghetto side of Houston and the one I live in is bad. If you want my opinion I'd say The woodlands but its pretty expensive place to live but theirs a loop hole try finding a house that went for foreclose they always sell cheap I'm at the process of doing that right now. Now for your kids theirs lots of place for them to visit and hangout making new friends up their. For example: Market Street=Movie theater, book store, restaurant, park, bike trail, The woodlands mall.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:12 PM

7 posts, read 16,977 times
Woodlands is good if not too expensive or long a drive for you. I'd second the reply about Cypress area - I live in Lakewood Forest, lots of trees, homes less expensive than inside loop or Woodlands, neighborhoods are well established, fairly diverse, family friendly, good schools. After living in various parts of Houston for the last 35 years, I would tend to focus on west/northwest/north areas. More trees in northwest/north.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:00 PM

14 posts, read 32,106 times
HAR.com : Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors, TX Homes

Old 11-16-2011, 09:03 PM

14 posts, read 32,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I agree.

Actually there is not a large percentage of Hispanics, or Blacks in Sugar Land. It's primarily White and Asian. The chart even shows there is a much larger percentage of Hispanics in Katy than in Sugar Land. (This is just in reference to Sugar Land itself... not Missouri City, Rosenberg, or other nearby areas.)
The original post never said, anything about "Blacks" stop trying to draw black people into the equation. Pathetic...

Old 11-17-2011, 01:05 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,055,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
All suburbs are the same, pick the one that's closest to your job.
This couldn't be further from the truth.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,855 times
I just moved to Houston from Green Bay, WI in July. Had a couple of temp jobs and am looking for REAL employment. I have something in the works, but is a long, complicated process that deals with a company in Europe. Looking to find a decent size home to work from. I will be the only employee there and the owner will be coming into Houston on rare occasion, but wants to stay for three to six months. I am told by the ONLY person that I know in this area that Jersey Village is a good place. It's close to 290 and I-10 (which, according daily to KRPC local news is a hot mess on a daily basis.) Otherwise, I think I could fall in love with this area when I begin working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston