Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:47 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Are we talking real oil rubbed bronze fixtures or the fake ones, like Delta makes?
I'm talking the real oil-rubbed finish, not those fixtures that are "oil rubbed bronze" in color.

To those above who suggested cleaning methods - thanks. I am always looking for good suggestions. For the most part, though, I given up on "cleaning" them other than a gentle wipe with a wet cloth. I am very careful to keep any cleaning product away from them, because they quickly damage and strip the finish (and any firm rubbing does the same).

It's a great look - when new. I would never recommend the real stuff, however - especially given the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 08:50 AM

33 posts, read 248,991 times
I have the fake ones, the ones that Moen makes.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:08 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,318,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
CLR immediately strips the finish. It takes a microsecond of contact for very bad results. Oil rubbed finish is very soft.

[I have a few fixtures that are oil rubbed bronze color. They are impervious. But not the (very expensive) stuff that has a real oil rubbed bronze finish.]
I did not use the regular CLR-but a CLR multi purpose spray for kitchen and bath.
This thread got me thinking about ruining my finish albeit I do not do regular heavy cleaning as it just my husband and I.
We have Delta faucets and I went on to their website to read the recommended cleaning. After reading today I bought formula 409.

dremmy -go to Moen's website and see what they recommend.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 11,991 times
I would like to know a good cleaner to clean the fake Delta Oil Rubbed Bronze bathroom fixtures. One that will remove the film, water spots, and green color that is on them. Thanks for any help you have to offer.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 7,302 times
Thumbs up Cleaning Oil Rubbed bronze finish.

I know this is an old post, but for anyone that may still be looking how to clean up their oil rubbed bronze finish faucets, this may help. I have used Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser found in most big box stores, and works fairly well. For when the edges get that really thick white/green buildup, nothing can beat Soft-Scrub with bleach, a handful of Q-tips, and some paper towels. Just don't go too animal on the finish and it should clean up remarkably well. The Q-tips get into the edges and clean up where paper towels can't. After wiping everything down with a damp cloth, then a dry wipe, let it dry about ten minutes. Come back with some WD-40 sprayed on a paper towel and rub the fixture down, coat everywhere. Come back in five or ten, and give it a final wipe with a dry cloth. Will look spectacular again. I have done this a few times now on my Kohler Oil-rubbed bronze pull-down faucet, and it still looks great. I assume Delta and Pfister faucets would be about the same build quality, just remember to not go too crazy with the scrub right out of the gate. Hope this helps! S

Old 06-23-2018, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,210 times
What do you use to clean the sink or shower with an oil rubbed bronze drain?

Old 06-23-2018, 06:21 PM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I have one in my kitchen and I just wipe it with a damp cloth and some dishwashing liquid. What’s so hard?

Old 06-23-2018, 07:08 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
Sounds like a bad idea to pick a finish for faucets and spouts that you can't just clean with ordinary methods.

The old tried-and-trues may well be the best:

Chrome over brass: clean it off with pretty much anything
Nickel plating: ditto
Polished brass with lacquer: once the lacquer wears off, you just polish it with Brasso.

I think stainless steel would be the ideal choice as there's no plating to worry about wearing through or flaking off, but it doesn't seem like this is a common choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House