Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:12 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,586,643 times

Advertisements

I was a roofer for most of my working life. I owned a roofing company and we roofed hundreds of 100 year old 2 story homes over the years. First off I would like to tell you that at least half if not more than that of these jobs we installed the new shingles right over the old ones. There has to be a good reason for stripping the old shingles off or it's just a HUGE waste of money and I'll tell you that many roofing jobs where the shingles are stripped do not come out as well. Most 100 year old homes were built with spaces between the roof sheathing that are too wide for todays shingles and so therefore when the roof is stripped it must be covered with plywood before shingling. If it's not the new roof will not last long. If there is an attic space, get up there and examine the roof boards from the inside. Check especially as far out in the overhang as you can seeing that is always the first place to rot. If the deck is good then just bang on another layer of shingles. Even a third layer is OK but a fourth layer starts to have some weight issues. I was looking at a roof the other day that I did overtop in 1980. It's still near perfect and that was 31 years ago. Because you will save so much money doing it this way you should buy the best shingles you can get. Make sure there is lots of ventilation in the roof and replace all the existing vents and add as many as you need to come up to minimum requirements. Have new chimney flashings installed and make sure all roof penetrations and fixtures are well flashed and sealed. My crew was just super excellent and on a job like yours we would start early about 7 am and we would be off to the next roof by noon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 10:47 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,783,169 times
Will a bank loan on three layers?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:58 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,086,875 times
Roofing has the highest rates for workmens comp. It can account for half the total cost of the job if the job is done by a legitimate licensed roofer. If you already have two layers of shingles, they must all be removed in Florida. That will add to the cost. Ony two layers permitted. You also have to take into account the grade of the shingle that is installed. 25 year shingles cost alot more than 15 year shingles. Dementional shingles cost more than flat shingles.
It's impossible to give an estimate of what it will cost.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 24,284 times
I have received 2 estimates for a 4600 sq foot roof. A new shingle roof would be $26,000 and a new
tile roof would be $43,000. I believe it involves removing the existing tile roof, repapering and retarring
the roof. Does this estimate seem fair for Miami, Fl? Thank you

Old 03-04-2011, 01:52 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,431,256 times
Default Respectfully, you need more info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorermom View Post
I have received 2 estimates for a 4600 sq foot roof. A new shingle roof would be $26,000 and a new
tile roof would be $43,000. I believe it involves removing the existing tile roof, repapering and retarring
the roof. Does this estimate seem fair for Miami, Fl? Thank you
You need to get qualified proposals from SEVERAL roofing firms. Ideally those firms are know to you THROUGH referrals of satisfied customers. You should see LOTS of testimonials from folks who have had similar roofs done.

You need to get info on the BRAND of shingle use, the SPECIFIC warranty and TRAINING that the firm has FROM THE MANUFACTURER to ensure the warranty is valid.

SIMILARLY if the proposal is for TILE you need DETAILS on what is REQUIRED to make those tiles stand-up to the weather and keep your roof WATER TIGHT through the kind of storms you might get.

Once you have these WRITTEN proposals go one EVERY ITEM and make sure your are comparing APPLE TO APPLES. Make your decision not just on COST but on which firm has the greatest likelihood of being able to meet ALL THE TERMS of the agreed to contract. If one firm is TOO WILLING to cut their price that is a BAD SIGN that they are not interested in giving fair prices to start. If all the firms are FAR APART in price ask all of them to look at each others bids and start over...

Old 08-25-2011, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 23,277 times
I live in Birmingham, AL and in need of repair to certain parts of my roof. My house is 950 square feet. How much do you think a new roof will cost.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 22,942 times
Magnolia Bloom could you please tell me who you used in tallahassee..I need to get the rood replaced on my parents 35 years old home in Tallahassee and have to pay it out of my own pocket. Thank you.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 26,031 times
Believe it or not the price of shingles depends on the price of oil at the time of purchase. Since the tar in a shingle is oil based it makes the shingle prices fluctuate. I remember when I made my living roofing in the early 90's, 20 year 3 tab shingles were about $18 A square. last summer I was shocked to enter home depot enter the shingles section to order shingles for my moms porch and about have a heart attack seeing them at $150 a square. Of course siding was up as well as all other oil based products. I had to buy a piece of plexiglass for a shooting house for my father inlaw it was nearly $100 for a 4x8 sheet of 1/2".

Old 11-16-2011, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 22,650 times
I live in Philadelphia. I was local 30 roofer until I decided to go out on my own. I charge about $350 per square for rip, install and materials on a walkable roof.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:18 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,241,059 times
Just info for others: I had my 100+ yr old home re-roofed last year in Mo. Its 2500 sf. and very "pitchy". Lots of dips & peaks, plus it already had THREE layers! ( not by me, I bought it last year ) 1st, we had a heck of a time even getting someone out to give estimates. So our guys stripped off the old & did clean up, for a total cost of $8,000. I really felt that was super high, until reading this thread. Those $40,000 ones would kill me. Great info on this thread, thanks all for posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House