Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:56 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,370,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Thanks for all the info. The driller called me and said that we did something wrong??? The well is 955" deep, and has a schedule 120 white pipe with a submersable pump...this is the third time we have had problems with it. He assured me that with a pressure tank (about 25 gals)at the top and one in the house ( 60 gals).NO problem...he also said there was a low water level safety that would turn the pump off...???
Well, the pipe burst again at the same level as before, about 4 feet from the pump. The water goes either directly to the house, about 200feet away, then back down to an outbuilding. Or, it can go into a 4500 gal. holding tank. The water was going to the house and then down to the outbuilding. The pressure tank has lots of R-38 insulation around it and is boxed in ( he told me froze up--not that cold at that point). Then he said we must of turned it off?????

So, I told him last night to fix it now...we have spent too much $$ on this....he said no to call someone else..I said ok, I will call my attorney.....

Not very happy trails today..

comments appreciated.

HW and SunInHair
I always have questions. How did you get the pump out??? How old is this well???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 03:52 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,010,592 times
Default Pump out etc.

The pump was pulled by the well driller. This pump has been in the well for about 90 days.....

I am awaiting another call from a different driller to get his perspective.

We have spent over $35,000 on this well project...
Sent one pix of the burst pipe, similiar to the last time.??

Appreciate your input.

Unhappy trails,

HW and SIH
Attached Thumbnails
Deep wells: should pipe be plastic or metal?-well-truck-mud-17.jpg  

Old 01-13-2009, 03:59 PM

286 posts, read 1,482,143 times
Quote:
.... The driller called me and said that we did something wrong??? The well is 955" deep, and has a schedule 120 white pipe with a submersable pump...this is the third time we have had problems with it. He assured me that with a pressure tank (about 25 gals)at the top and one in the house ( 60 gals).NO problem...he also said there was a low water level safety that would turn the pump off...???

Well, the pipe burst again at the same level as before, about 4 feet from the pump.

The water goes either directly to the house, about 200feet away, then back down to an outbuilding. Or, it can go into a 4500 gal. holding tank. The water was going to the house and then down to the outbuilding. The pressure tank has lots of R-38 insulation around it and is boxed in ( he told me froze up--not that cold at that point). Then he said we must of turned it off?????

So, I told him last night to fix it now...we have spent too much $$ on this....he said no to call someone else..I said ok, I will call my attorney.....
The driller does not understand the problem and has thrown things at it like an additional pressure tank etc.. Now since it happened again, the driller is throwing hands in the air and flailing around getting pissy and willing to walk away; all at your expense and now leaving you with no water, right?

So sue the driller for the costs you've suffered from the time he left after installing the pump originaly, and for what it is going t ocost you to fix the problem. That is going to be the cost for 1"-1.5" galvanized pipeand installation.

Tell your attorney that the driller's choice of 120 or any other PVC is the problem because with the low pressure cut off, he is admitting that the water level is falling to the pump's inlet which will prevent the pump from cooling, which makes it deliver warmer to hot water and that derates/decreases the pressure rating of the drop pipe (PVC) and it fractures/blows out/bursts and you have no water. There is a link in a post in a prevoius post that shows the pressure rating of PVC, including 120, and the derating chart. 120 PVC is on the left edge of the page that link you to.

The health department is not going to help, there is no codes to my kowledge concerning the type of drop pipe material too be used except it has to be NSF Standard 61 for potable water use. If the water level falls to 925' that means 925 * .433 (psi per foot of water) says 400 psi. That is above the pressure rating of all PVC. And the pressure rating is stated at 73*f.

So you have all the ammunitation you need. Call other drillers or better probably, a pump guy, with a pump hoist/derrick truck that can handle galvanized to 1000' and have them replace the pvc and any other type plastic. They also should make sure the pump is sized correctly for the depth of the water at peak usage.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:17 PM

The driller need to get HIS supplier to look at it. I will have ours look at the picture tomorrow. I have never seen any like this. Still get the health department involved.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:07 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,124,095 times
I have worked on oil wells that were not this deep (near Luling, Texas)

This is weird. The photo gives me the impression, just engineering intuition, that the pipe was hot when it burst.

Interesting situation, I look forward to reading and learning what is going on.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:14 PM

I just talked to our local sanitarian from the health department. This is in Michigan. Yes, they would get involved. If is is not pumping enough water for the "size, design and intended use" they WOULD violate the driller.

Poor Bob will not sleep well now wondering where this is. LOL LOL LOL

Old 01-13-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I have worked on oil wells that were not this deep (near Luling, Texas)

This is weird. The photo gives me the impression, just engineering intuition, that the pipe was hot when it burst.

Interesting situation, I look forward to reading and learning what is going on.
So will I. I have never seen this. I would think a defect in the PVC, but two???

Old 01-13-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
The pump was pulled by the well driller. This pump has been in the well for about 90 days.....

I am awaiting another call from a different driller to get his perspective.

We have spent over $35,000 on this well project...
Sent one pix of the burst pipe, similiar to the last time.??

Appreciate your input.

Unhappy trails,

HW and SIH
I would not call an attorney at this time. If the health department can help, the last thing you want is the driller to say he can not go back there. Or, just do not let the driller know you are talking to one.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:24 AM

286 posts, read 1,482,143 times
I didn't see the picture until just now, we were both typing at the same time.

As you can see, the pressure rating is 300 psi at 73*f. The damage is from heat decreasing the pressure rating and the water was warm enough to round the edges of the hole and bubble the surface around the hole.

Since the driller said no to doing anything for you report that to the state agency that licenses drillers and use all the leverage you can find and then get someone to fix this and sue if he doesn't reimburse your costs or do it himself.

Let us know what happens.

Question, was the power cable running by this spot? It's strange that more heat damage is not from the spot down to the pump. Or was there more damage?

Old 01-14-2009, 07:19 AM

What is the brand of the pump? How much drop pipe? The is the level of water in the well?? This should be on your well log. If you could post your log, that would be GREAT!!!! My supplier is wondering if the pump is approved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House