Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 08:36 AM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
I’m actually not sure. His quote says repainting wall/ceiling and then mentions touch ups in other areas so I assume he’s repainting whole wall? Water damage isn’t terrible. Just water marks in a few areas. I think just needs patching/paint?
Water marks can be repainted rather easily in most cases. Apply a bit of BIN stain killer and then when that dries, touch up with a paint that matches the surrounding area. Shouldn't be a need to repaint the whole room.

Cracks in drywall and/or textured ceilings are a bit more work to repair properly and get it to match and not be detectable.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 09:26 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
…so I assume he’s repainting whole wall?
Never, ever, ASSUME anything when it comes to a contract/quote! Confirm any misunderstandings BEFORE work commences!

Old 04-11-2024, 09:39 AM

666 posts, read 478,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Never, ever, ASSUME anything when it comes to a contract/quote! Confirm any misunderstandings BEFORE work commences!
Yes will clarify what the proposal means for the repainting before they start.

Old 04-11-2024, 09:42 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
My son paid $3000. for the interior painting of a 1700 sq ft house in GA, so $2000 sounds fair.

Old 04-11-2024, 09:59 AM

666 posts, read 478,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My son paid $3000. for the interior painting of a 1700 sq ft house in GA, so $2000 sounds fair.
Was it fully repainted though? I am not having mine fully
Repainted. Just a few walls need work and then touch ups, fixing cracks etc.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Was it fully repainted though? I am not having mine fully
Repainted. Just a few walls need work and then touch ups, fixing cracks etc.
The entire house interior.

Old 04-11-2024, 05:20 PM

9,113 posts, read 6,155,520 times
I paid about $125 to get my forty-year old house ready for sale.

That's how much I paid the cleaners to clean the house.

Walls had nicks and such. I wasn't going to repaint. The buyers might not have liked the colors I picked, besides, my real estate agent said that some buyers view a new paint job as covering up wall or ceiling damage and it makes them suspicious.

Old 04-11-2024, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I paid about $125 to get my forty-year old house ready for sale.

That's how much I paid the cleaners to clean the house.

Walls had nicks and such. I wasn't going to repaint. The buyers might not have liked the colors I picked, besides, my real estate agent said that some buyers view a new paint job as covering up wall or ceiling damage and it makes them suspicious.
This is very true. I feel like, if it’s good enough for me, you can take it or leave it.

We were looking to perhaps buy in Florida, awhile ago. It became very clear that most people are putting lipstick on a pig, and think you won’t notice. Just leave things alone and price it accordingly, because I’m not going to like what you do anyway.

Old 04-12-2024, 06:56 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This is very true. I feel like, if it’s good enough for me, you can take it or leave it.

We were looking to perhaps buy in Florida, awhile ago. It became very clear that most people are putting lipstick on a pig, and think you won’t notice. Just leave things alone and price it accordingly, because I’m not going to like what you do anyway.
Interesting perspectives. I've had two situations where elderly relatives passed away and we had to put the houses on the market. There was disagreement among family members about what should be done to get the houses ready to put on the market. Any work done on both of the houses was done by family members. On one of the houses, bedrooms were painted. They had not been painted in around 40 years and the last job was kind of sloppy with drips on the woodwork.

My opinion is I would do work that adds curb appeal, but I would not spend money unless I thought the investment would increase the value more than the investment. I question whether a $2,000 paint job would increase the sales value of a house by that amount.

Old 04-12-2024, 07:24 AM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
[quote][quote=villageidiot1;66634038]Interesting perspectives. I've had two situations where elderly relatives passed away and we had to put the houses on the market. There was disagreement among family members about what should be done to get the houses ready to put on the market. Any work done on both of the houses was done by family members. On one of the houses, bedrooms were painted. They had not been painted in around 40 years and the last job was kind of sloppy with drips on the woodwork.

My opinion is I would do work that adds curb appeal, but I would not spend money unless I thought the investment would increase the value more than the investment. I question whether a $2,000 paint job would increase the sales value of a house by that amount.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Value" is in the eye of the beholder. Most buyers are very fickle and not very rational when it comes to buying decisions... although they would argue otherwise. The "fairer sex" is particularly susceptible to this phenomenon.

Additionally, some people have ZERO ability to visualize changes that might be made. For example, a room that is painted an atrocious color will completely turn some people off to a particular house. Likewise, something like ugly furniture or messy/unkept rooms will turn a lot of people off to a house even though the housekeeping/cleanliness has nothing to do with the physical condition of the house. Poor paint selection and/or messy housekeeping can cost sellers tens of thousands of dollars in the market value of their home and prevent many potential buyers from even considering the house at ANY price.

The converse of this is also true. Cleaning up a house and spending a relatively small amount on judicious painting can add market value FAR in excess of the financial cost of the work.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House