Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 576 times

Advertisements

Currently in the middle of a bath remodel and plan to use a 66" cast iron clawfoot tub. The stud bays are currently exposed and will be covered with 1/2" cement board with tile installed over that.

I'm finding from my measurements that when the tile is installed, there may not be much space between the walls and the tub, maybe only 1/8". Would it be possible to sand/grind maybe 1/4" off the edge of the tub, or would it be best to modify the tile wall in some way?

The tub has a roll-top, so the head and foot of the tub are slightly rounded on each end and are not currently flat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2024, 01:54 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
1/8th of an inch and it still fits...
What's the problem?

Old 04-08-2024, 01:56 PM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I would not want my clawfoot to be grinded down...

Old 04-08-2024, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 576 times
To clarify, the measurements are before the tile has been installed. There are several variables that are not 100% known just yet like slight tile width variations with thinset and potential wall studs not being perfectly straight...

I knew this was going to be a tight fit, so my original question was more regarding IF it ends up being too tight then what are my options. Grinding the tub would not be my first pick, so maybe I should consider making a small groove in a tile or two that it comes in contact with and touching it up with the grout matched caulk I'm already planning to use in the corners.

Old 04-08-2024, 02:36 PM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Sure is going to be fun to mop the floor behind that thing that you've got shoehorned into a space so small you're afraid you'll need to grind grooves in the tile!

You know, there's a reason why, as soon as today's standard in tubs, the alcove mounted tub, became available, EVERYONE IMMEDIATELY got rid of those clawfoot monstrosities.

Old 04-08-2024, 03:20 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
We put a clawfoot tub in at our beach house. Not sorry that we did it, but they do have their cons in terms of usability. There's no place to put the soap, or the shampoo. If you put them on a shelf on the wall, which we did... you've got drips, behind the tub where they're hard to get to.

Half the reason for putting in a clawfoot tub is the old fashioned brass plumbing you can use with it, and having that hidden because the tub is crammed against the wall seems kinda sad.

They make 60 inch clawfoot tubs. I would consider switching to a smaller tub that looks like it fits. Trying to cut the tub or the wall to make this one fit will look like you cut it to make it fit.

Old 04-08-2024, 05:49 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
We put a clawfoot tub in at our beach house. Not sorry that we did it, but they do have their cons in terms of usability. There's no place to put the soap, or the shampoo. If you put them on a shelf on the wall, which we did... you've got drips, behind the tub where they're hard to get to.

Half the reason for putting in a clawfoot tub is the old fashioned brass plumbing you can use with it, and having that hidden because the tub is crammed against the wall seems kinda sad.

They make 60 inch clawfoot tubs. I would consider switching to a smaller tub that looks like it fits. Trying to cut the tub or the wall to make this one fit will look like you cut it to make it fit.
They make clawfoot tub soap holders. Amazon sells them for certain.

Old 04-08-2024, 06:45 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I know they do. They have all kinds of little racks and baskets you can hang on them. They're a mess.... and you can't use them with a shower ring.

Claw foot tubs have issues that were solved with built in tubs. They just do.

Old 04-08-2024, 07:36 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
…IF it ends up being too tight then what are my options…(?)
Get a tub that actually fits with “room”!

Old 04-08-2024, 08:14 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Sure is going to be fun to mop the floor behind that thing that you've got shoehorned into a space so small you're afraid you'll need to grind grooves in the tile!

You know, there's a reason why, as soon as today's standard in tubs, the alcove mounted tub, became available, EVERYONE IMMEDIATELY got rid of those clawfoot monstrosities.
Agreed. I would never have one in a house that I had to clean. No way, no how. And if you are older and somewhat inflexible, it's an accident looking to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House