Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 01:42 PM

17 posts, read 17,838 times

Advertisements

Hello,

This is a WI home. As always, I just ask that people who post just be considerate when posting thoughts/comments. Picture is of the corner of the house in the attic. In the far left corner you can see where the soffits are. What I think I'm seeing is that they didn't do something correctly with the exterior sheathing and siding so they put shingles in the interior of the attic with step flashing so that when any rain/snow gets into this area, it will slide down the shingles and down the soffits.

Does anyone have any different thoughts? Have you ever seen anything like this before? Any idea on:
- What would be the code violations, industry standard failures, etc.?
- How you would fix this?
- Potential costs to fix?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
What is Happening - Attic Eave Area-roof1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2024, 12:19 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
I don't see an issue in the photo.
I don't see anything to fix.

Old 03-01-2024, 02:21 PM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Sure would be helpful if you'd post some pictures that are actually descriptive, and supplement with text in English. I have no freaking clue what I'm supposed to be looking at.

Old 03-01-2024, 03:50 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Could there have possibly been an addition to the house at some point? I don't think I've ever seen shingles with step flashing on the inside of the attic before.

Are you having issues with leaks, or just don't like the way it looks? Whatever, it's somewhat recent construction since the roof decking is OSB.

Old 03-01-2024, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Could there have possibly been an addition to the house at some point? I don't think I've ever seen shingles with step flashing on the inside of the attic before.

Are you having issues with leaks, or just don't like the way it looks? Whatever, it's somewhat recent construction since the roof decking is OSB.
It's a house under construction.
This is a decorative dormer on the front, built on top of the main roof.
I don'y see anything out of the ordinary.

The OP has another thread. He definitely needs a good home inspector to inspect after mechanicals and before framing is covered with insulation and sheetrock.
No one having a beer and sitting at a laptop is going to give him better input than that.

Old 03-03-2024, 11:06 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

The OP has another thread. He definitely needs a good home inspector to inspect after mechanicals and before framing is covered with insulation and sheetrock.
No one having a beer and sitting at a laptop is going to give him better input than that.
Excuse me. I am not on a laptop with a beer. I am on a desktop with a brandy but I am not giving advice...yet...LOL

Old 03-03-2024, 05:39 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

In his original question, he didn't say it was a house under construction nor did he say it was a dormer. In fact, he said it was in the corner of his attic. He may have mentioned those things in another post, but not this one.

He said his "WI house". When I read the post, for some reason it looked like WWI to me, not Wisconsin, so it would have been an old house with possibly an addition if it was WWI era.

If it's a new house under construction, it should have to pass a number of inspections by the local city/county/whatever before receiving a certificate of occupancy. A hired inspector could always be added at his expense but not necessarily needed for a new house.

Old 03-04-2024, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
In his original question, he didn't say it was a house under construction nor did he say it was a dormer. In fact, he said it was in the corner of his attic. He may have mentioned those things in another post, but not this one.

He said his "WI house". When I read the post, for some reason it looked like WWI to me, not Wisconsin, so it would have been an old house with possibly an addition if it was WWI era.

If it's a new house under construction, it should have to pass a number of inspections by the local city/county/whatever before receiving a certificate of occupancy. A hired inspector could always be added at his expense but not necessarily needed for a new house.
Independent inspections after code inspections ALWAYS detect issues that municipal inspectors have overlooked. ALWAYS. That is not a criticism of the code inspectors. It is just a fact.

Two threads. Read both, and you will have clarity on the OP's needs. He definitely needs an independent inspection with an inspector who will discuss the concerns he raises.
Or, he could accept the builder's guy's word that the facia board doesn't need a hanger. (It doesn't.)

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hous...l#post66490060

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hous...raming-ok.html

Old 03-04-2024, 08:14 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Just look at the OP’s other posts-
You’ll see where this is going!

Old 03-04-2024, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Just look at the OP’s other posts-
You’ll see where this is going!
Whoops. Yeah.
But, are the recent post photos from 8 years ago, or current?

Posts history:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/sear...rchid=48710796
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House